IGNORED

Who does what?

sweepstakes

We have some clues, for sure - the Quietus interview with Rob about L-Event, the division of responsibilities on the Untilted and Quaristice tours.

But they also try to obscure this as much as possible, and often speak of impersonating each other.

Want to hazard a guess?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have kind of always assumed that Sean primarily does the percussion and Rob does primarily does the pads / melody kind of stuff. This is just me assuming stuff based off interviews, Sean seems to be more straight to the point and rigid. Rob seems more softly spoken and reserved. Both of which remind me of the respective sounds.

If you look at pics of them live from when they were using more hardware they did change it up a bit between who is on the Synth vs who is on the Samplers / Mixing.

I have kind of always assumed that Sean primarily does the percussion and Rob does primarily does the pads / melody kind of stuff. This is just me assuming stuff based off interviews, Sean seems to be more straight to the point and rigid. Rob seems more softly spoken and reserved. Both of which remind me of the respective sounds.

I've always thought the other way round for some reason - Sean being the experimental and pad-y/environmental side of ae, Rob bringing the percussion and hip hop vibe.

My reasonings for this being: The interview with Hafler Trio Sean did on that radio station a while back, him being the one behind the BBC Micro experiment that didn't materialise and the sets like this that are just from the one person:

https://soundcloud.com/timelife-methrave/tunnel-dive-no-043-feat-autechre-all-notes-off

Complete conjecture though !

Reiterating what sweepstakes said about the L-Event interview implying Rob had the major hand in M39 Diffain

And in the AAA Sean told the story of Tac Lacora, with the mail man hearing it or something, implying he had a major hand in that one

So that seems to fit with the often assumed roles of Rob = more textural and Sean = major beat fuckery

Also rob's more hip hop leaning always lead me to think Goz Quarter (or atleast the turntablism in it) came from Rob

But I think they have also said they occasionally try to emulate each other's styles sometimes

So who knows

I don't reckon either has specific roles in the sound seeing as sean said in the aaa that only about 1/3 of their tracks are non-solo. I can't really see any split in their tracks that suggests one did this batch and the other did these, so i'm guessing they both just do everything.

I don't reckon either has specific roles in the sound seeing as sean said in the aaa that only about 1/3 of their tracks are non-solo. I can't really see any split in their tracks that suggests one did this batch and the other did these, so i'm guessing they both just do everything.

this. iirc this was a real bombshell in the Q&A, but that does lead us to another fun question: who MADE what? i'll throw some wild mad guesses:

rob = Altibzz

sean = Ipacial Section

rob = bladelores

rob = Bronchusevenmx24

sean = Rotar

sean = Latent Quarter

sean = Surripere

rob = Recury

rob = Krib

if i were to guess, i think the collaborative Ae tracks would be very creatively varied, with ideas being thrown around and tuned together in lots of strange ways. in general, i think most of the Album Closers are at least partially rob+sean (they seem to put a lot of emphasis on these, in terms of presentation) as well as the main/opening tracks on their EPs (i.e. i don't think they'd club together and release an EP of Gantz Graf unless there was some particular breakthrough or something going on in that track).

a few other guess on what is joint rob+sean: Cipater, Tilapia, Cap.IV, Cfern, Pen Expers, P.:Ntil, Simmm, 777, and probably everything on the Key Nell EP.

this. iirc this was a real bombshell in the Q&A, but that does lead us to another fun question: who MADE what? i'll throw some wild mad guesses:

rob = Altibzz

sean = Ipacial Section

rob = bladelores

rob = Bronchusevenmx24

sean = Rotar

sean = Latent Quarter

sean = Surripere

rob = Recury

rob = Krib

if i were to guess, i think the collaborative Ae tracks would be very creatively varied, with ideas being thrown around and tuned together in lots of strange ways. in general, i think most of the Album Closers are at least partially rob+sean (they seem to put a lot of emphasis on these, in terms of presentation) as well as the main/opening tracks on their EPs (i.e. i don't think they'd club together and release an EP of Gantz Graf unless there was some particular breakthrough or something going on in that track).

a few other guess on what is joint rob+sean: Cipater, Tilapia, Cap.IV, Cfern, Pen Expers, P.:Ntil, Simmm, 777, and probably everything on the Key Nell EP.

could you put this into a pie chart, or graph format?

Guest WNS000

rob = Altibzz

sean = Ipacial Section

rob = bladelores

rob = Bronchusevenmx24

sean = Rotar

sean = Latent Quarter

sean = Surripere

rob = Recury

rob = Krib

could you put this into a pie chart, or graph format?

With animations and anti-aliased graphics, please. Thanks.

I also remember in the AAA thread Rob gave some details about how Maphive 6.1 was all made with one specific hardware piece, with a photo of it, and talked about what a pain it is to compose on

From this I will assume Maphive6.1 is a Rob solo

Guest WNS000

I've asked them myself, and they told me that Sean adds the fucking and Rob adds the cool to their tracks.

For real?

in the AAA Sean told the story of Tac Lacora, with the mail man hearing it or something, implying he had a major hand in that one

So that seems to fit with the often assumed roles of Rob = more textural and Sean = major beat fuckery

Also rob's more hip hop leaning always lead me to think Goz Quarter (or atleast the turntablism in it) came from Rob

This is kind of how I perceive it too. It's not so much beats vs. pads as it is different flavors.

I think Rob does more stuff that's maybe kind of cheeky or corny but it sticks in your head and is maybe a bit more soulful, and also textural. More things where he's kind of feeling out the edges of stuff in an intuitive way.

Where I think Sean is geekier and more analytical and digs a bit more into the science of things, so he gets more of the trippy mind-bending, morphing, fast, hard-edged stuff.

I'm kind of divining this from interviews and extrapolating that into what musical results I'd expect from the somewhat different approaches. For example, Sean said with the current Max stuff, he tends to spend a bit more time on building patches and Rob tends to spend a bit more time testing them. Or how Sean was talking about sorting his musical library by tempo and creating playlists that gradually get faster.

I imagine there is a ton of overlap though, and they're probably at least as similar as they are different, especially since they often mention emulating each other. Like they are semi-intentionally training themselves to be aesthetically more like the other.

rob = Altibzz

sean = Ipacial Section

rob = bladelores

rob = Bronchusevenmx24

sean = Rotar

sean = Latent Quarter

sean = Surripere

rob = Recury

rob = Krib

I find it funny that they still work in a pair like some shitty over-produced techstep drum-n-bass. Pan Sonic is no more (clearly they lasted as much coz they stopped talking to each other at some point), Mouse on Mars has shitloads of solo Jan Werner on the side and kinda half-ass anyway. Plaid and Matmos are gay couples? BoC are brothers or a cult or whatever, they aren't prolific. FSOL didn't last etc.

I find it funny that they still work in a pair like some shitty over-produced techstep drum-n-bass. Pan Sonic is no more (clearly they lasted as much coz they stopped talking to each other at some point), Mouse on Mars has shitloads of solo Jan Werner on the side and kinda half-ass anyway. Plaid and Matmos are gay couples? BoC are brothers or a cult or whatever, they aren't prolific. FSOL didn't last etc.

I want to mark this post "Mark Solved" just for the lolz

I want to mark this post "Mark Solved" just for the lolz

He forgot "the aphex twin's are usually hidden behind silly masks or helmets whatever and Square and Pusher are really the same guy"

Archived