IGNORED

Jean-Michel Jarre + Edward Snowden - Exit

triachus

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/28/edward-snowden-jean-michel-jarre-song-exit

Exit was posted to Jarres YouTube channel on Thursday afternoon. The collaboration came about after Jarre gave an interview to the Guardian last year, and asked our music critic Alexis Petridis to put him in touch with Snowden. Jarre described his music, over which Snowden performs, as a hectic, obsessive techno track, trying to illustrate the idea of this crazy quest for big data on one side and the manhunt for this one young guy by the CIA, NSA and FBI on the other.

Continuing this theme, the music video has been contrived as a Matrix/Bourne Identity/Wikileaks drone footage mash-up. Theres video of green numbers scrolling down a black screen, interspersed with quick-zoom aerial reconnaissance images. Theres a disorientating car-chase, cutting to a fairly shoddy special effect of a satellite circling the Earth. This is a interspersed with shots of Jarre hopping around a studio playing the keyboard.

The rave-style track represents a different type of whistle-blowing for Snowden, who appears in the middle of the video, discussing privacy in front of a grey curtain. His contribution sits firmly in the spoken-word category, having been taken from an old interview about the dangers of a government spying on its citizens.

lol! nice summary

I don't think he should have the "+ Edward Snowden" in the artist tag unless he got Snowden to throw down on some synth patches or something

prefer the hacking in progress video by a milestone ^

totally respect for jmj but with a lot of his music i just wonder how in the heill it is possible to make such a poop track with all that equipment and technology

prefer the hacking in progress video by a milestone ^

totally respect for jmj but with a lot of his music i just wonder how in the heill it is possible to make such a poop track with all that equipment and technology

lol that's kinda true

Zoolook was a fucking masterpiece though, 10x better than all of the rest of his work imo

Guest bitroast

the vid shows him rocking out to the roland aira range. seeing as he grew up with phat as fuck analogue monster synths in his kitchen making oxygene and whatnot i guess it's kind of sweet to see him experiencing low budget EDM making as a pleb-to-the-core 20 something with big dreams.

When I was teenager in the 1980s, Jarre was THE synth guy. His albums sold in millions. Oxygen, Equinoxe, Magnetic Fields & Zoolook. These works are absolute masterpieces.

But by the mid 1990s, he'd just lost it completely. Haven't listened to anything he's released since 1993.

His father knew how to craft a tune or two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Jarre#Film_scoring

Actually Metamophosis from 2000 is a pretty great album. You guys should hit it. His best are Oxygene, Equinoxe, Zoolook, Rendezvous and Metamorphosis. Magnetic Fields is sort of bad outside of a couple of good tracks.

Ah yeah I think I heard and enjoyed Rendezvous at some point.. but Zoolook just makes everything else seem substandard imo

Back in 1984, Zoolook was THE compact disc to own. It was also one of the first discs manufactured by Polygram at their manufacturing plant in Hanover, West Germany.

It was just so mind-blowing. Obviously it's pretty tame now with samplers everywhere but the first time I ever heard it, I was like "Holy Fuck. What is this?"

Occasionally I dig it out for a listen and I still get that faint nostalgia from the time. To this day, I've never heard any music that so utterly captivated me. Obviously there has been many better albums musically down the years but nothing ever appeared again that had that effect on me.

Rendezvous was the album after Zoolook. It's easily his darkest album, and still stands up pretty well. Agree that Zoolook is probably the best though!

It's grim because it was mostly written for the challenger space shuttle mission in 1986. The album was written before the disaster.

Archived