IGNORED

my annual attempt to appreciate cornfield

Fred McGriff

Keep at it man, you'll get there eventually. Once you learn to appreciate track 5, the rest of the record comes naturally.

Track 5 - parelchic triangle is the best track on the album, it reminds me of an 8 bit nintendo kung fu game. I made a drunken monkey kung fu video set to the first minute of this song.

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

Keep at it man, you'll get there eventually. Once you learn to appreciate track 5, the rest of the record comes naturally.

Track 5 - parelchic triangle is the best track on the album, it reminds me of an 8 bit nintendo kung fu game. I made a drunken monkey kung fu video set to the first minute of this song.

i actually find that track kind of unnerving and anxiety-inducing!

first time i "got" autechre was with tri repetae, still really into that album

Edited by Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

how could you not like confield?

I can totally understand why someone wouldn't like Confield as it took many listens for me to appreciate it. But the thing with Autechre is that the payoff is almost always worth it if you stick with an album. Now it's one of my favorites, although I have to be in the right mood for it.

It's weird really because Confield took some people ages to apppreciate. I loved Pen Expers the first time I heard it. It had a strange effect on me, as if I'd heard it before when I was really young or something. I get that with a few Autechre tracks, like Maphive 6.1, reminds me of when I was playing FF7 and I got the highwind.

Weird.

Yeah, Confield is amazing. My girlfriend likes it too, rock on.

im intrigued why you would focus on confield fred, if you're looking to make an effort to crack ae.

personally, i reckon it's probably the last album to give time to...i found it one of the most difficult to penetrate (though very rewarding in the end!) and came in on the chronological angle, starting with the earliest three and then chiastic and lp5.

first time i "got" autechre was with tri repetae, still really into that album
Just blasted that today on the turntable. Nice hefty slab of vinyl. Soun ded greeeeaat.

im intrigued why you would focus on confield fred, if you're looking to make an effort to crack ae.

personally, i reckon it's probably the last album to give time to...i found it one of the most difficult to penetrate (though very rewarding in the end!) and came in on the chronological angle, starting with the earliest three and then chiastic and lp5.

I agree.

I bought Confield today. What a coincidence! I'm more or less into it and I'll eventually give it several listens to get it.

well i find the earlier stuff quite enjoyable already. i'm particularly interested in cornfield because so many people say so many good things about it and i've yet to be able to throw it in and enjoy the album. but i must say the past few weeks i've appreciated 3 or 4 tracks off the album now. i think i understand what's going on. i like it. took me a few years to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate a record like this.

cornfields is such an easy album theres melody theres beats whereas somethign like ep7 is just a maze - you only have to look at the front cover.(not syaing cornonthecobfields cover is simplistic but hey)

cornfields is such an easy album theres melody theres beats whereas somethign like ep7 is just a maze - you only have to look at the front cover.(not syaing cornonthecobfields cover is simplistic but hey)

I think it differs from person to person. I thought most of the tracks on EP7 were more immediately accessible than Confield, whereas I still don't enjoy Draft and am thinking I probably never will.

I think it differs from person to person. I thought most of the tracks on EP7 were more immediately accessible than Confield, whereas I still don't enjoy Draft and am thinking I probably never will.

You're missing out son, Draft is probably my favourite album of theirs. Fucking adore Vl.Al5 and 61e.CR, wicked choons. They really mastered their craft with Draft.

You're missing out son, Draft is probably my favourite album of theirs. Fucking adore Vl.Al5 and 61e.CR, wicked choons. They really mastered their craft with Draft.

I've listened to it from start to finish, stoned and sober, headphones and speakers, at least 20 times, and still don't enjoy it. Shame as I really want to and love every other release they have put out. I like Xylin Room, 6ie.cr, and Theme Of Sudden Roundabout, but the rest just rubs me the wrong way. Tracks start off strong and then just fall apart into a mess. I know that's kind of the point, but even Confield makes more sense to me. I felt a potential to be a grower with every release except for Draft, which despite my efforts has never clicked. Has my favorite artwork though Different strokes...

I've listened to it from start to finish, stoned and sober, headphones and speakers, at least 20 times, and still don't enjoy it. Shame as I really want to and love every other release they have put out. I like Xylin Room, 6ie.cr, and Theme Of Sudden Roundabout, but the rest just rubs me the wrong way. Tracks start off strong and then just fall apart into a mess. I know that's kind of the point, but even Confield makes more sense to me. I felt a potential to be a grower with every release except for Draft, which despite my efforts has never clicked. Has my favorite artwork though Different strokes...

Wow, I thought that the tunes ended amazing for the most part (apart from VPROC, but how can you top the opening of that tune), I mean, P.:Ntil ends fucking brilliantly, even sounds sad somehow.

Ah well maybe in twenty years time you'll chuck it on and suddenly love it for no reason.

I finally really dig Draft. Each track has it's great moments. Personal faves>

IV VV IV VV VIII, Tapr, Theme, 6ie.cr.

you do know it's "its" right?

:laughing:

(damn it)

Guest OilPortraitofaMultiheadedCobra

I've got Confield in the "like" category, whereas I haven't really had the patience to deal with Draft or Untitled. I know there are so many opinions on this, so my take is probably quite irrelevant, but it's one of their last albums where I've been tempted to actually go back and re-listen. I just can't find the excitement for the newer ones. I still really love Eidetic Casein, it's one of my favourite ae tracks, but why would I actually want to subject myself to the last four minutes of Lentic Catachresis? I can't help but feel that I'm meant to appreciate it intellectually, and I will grant that it's way easier to listen to now than it was in 2001, but it's stuff like that that I don't get about ae. Though I appreciate the counter-argument that my reaction to it is exactly what they wanted.

Must admit that, after buying 'Confield' on release, I still find myself feeling a little bruised after it's finished (in a good, non-pervy way). Like all Autechre albums I think it still sounds as revolutionary today, and it's the one that really ignited my interest which is still as strong today. Definitely their most disturbing record to my mind ('Sim Gishel' scares the cack out of me).