IGNORED

Macquarie Ridge

Guest Dogboy73

Guest Dogboy73

I downloaded this yesterday. What a brilliant track. Can't get it out of my head. How come this only appeared on the Jap version of Campfire Headphase?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I downloaded this yesterday. What a brilliant track. Can't get it out of my head. How come this only appeared on the Jap version of Campfire Headphase?

Since Japanese CDs are ridiculously expensive, labels tend to throw in "bonus tracks" and extras so Japanese don't import the (usually cheaper) UK/US version. Beat Records, WARP's distributor in Japan, has included many tasty extras on BoC's Japan releases:

Geogaddi - extra track "From One Source All Things Depend"

Geogaddi Rubber Cassette Case Promo

The Campfire Headphase Rubber Cassette Case Promo

The Campfire Headphase "Macquarie Ridge"

Trans Canada Highway EP "Invocation video"

They've also included many bonus tracks and exclusive releases for Autechre, Squarepusher, and Aphex.

Guest tht! tne
labels tend to throw in "bonus tracks" and extras

if they have 'em why don't they just release 'em wholesale

beck is the worst offender i can think of for region variations of album releases. im still missing the trans canada japanese deluxe version. my gf couldnt find it in chigasaki, but im going out there in july and hope to find it either in osaka or hiroshima. will have to keep an eye out for these other warp releases with bonus tracks.

sounds to me like a rip-off of part of William Basinski's The Disintegration Loops IV. but nice none the less

Guest Dogboy73
sounds to me like a rip-off of part of William Basinski's The Disintegration Loops IV. but nice none the less

Blimey! Your spot on there, mate. I've just played my copy of Disintegration Loop IV & it sounds very, very similiar to one of the tracks.

There's a sample here (DP6);

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=18419

Blimey! Your spot on there, mate. I've just played my copy of Disintegration Loop IV & it sounds very, very similiar to one of the tracks.

Shit, that's depressing. Especially since they've mentioned the Disintegration Loops in an interview, so it's not like they were oblivious to them.

Guest Dogboy73
Shit, that's depressing. Especially since they've mentioned the Disintegration Loops in an interview, so it's not like they were oblivious to them.

Well it definitely sounds like that track from DL IV had a big influence on Macquire Ridge. No doubt it was the basis for the track. It's not that depressing though. I like the track a lot & besides they probably never heard of William Basinski in Japan :wink:

Guest Dogboy73
He's good but all his tracks are about half an hour too long

Yeah a lot of his releases are single piece CD's that go on for about 45 minutes plus! His classic piece on Raster Norton entitled 'The River' spans 2 CD's! But his material is very exceptional & definitely worth investigating further. Especially for BoC fan as he is clearly one of their bigger influences. I believe they have stated this in one of their interviews but if you listen to Basinki's processing style it's obvious BoC have learnt a thing or two from his work.

Basinski has got a fair back catalogue of material. I think he's getting on a bit now & he's been doing this stuff since the 70's. I would recommend 'Melancholia' as a good starting point as, rarely for Basinski, this album is made up of a collection of material rather than one huge long meandering piece.

Melancholia

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=18554

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Basinski

Guest Odd NotsraM

Yeah, nobody's allowed to be inspired by previous works. It's ill-legal.

Yeah, nobody's allowed to be inspired by previous works. It's ill-legal.

Nah, inspired is one thing, blatant sampling is another. As with Aquarius, my appreciation for that track diminished considerably once I heard the original.

Guest Dogboy73
Nah, inspired is one thing, blatant sampling is another. As with Aquarius, my appreciation for that track diminished considerably once I heard the original.

Original of Aquarius? What's that then?

I'm not bothered at all by the Macquire Ridge/Basinski thing. BoC have only taken a couple of chords from the Basinski loop & built on it really. Macquire ridge is like homage to Basinski if anything. It's a different track all together in the end even though the similarities in a small musical part are striking.

Guest Dogboy73

age of aquarius from the soundtrack of the musical 'hair'

Oh yeah :mellow:

I wonder where they got Roygbiv from?

Guest ~ism

I wonder where they got Roygbiv from?

a rainbow..

Guest Enter a new display name

I saw that part of the movie on TV last summer. It was special...

Guest audiotrack

still excellent work by BoC

my only gripe is they should have included the black girl singing

My main problems in this case are:

1) Disintegration loops are a current work in the same overall genre as BoC. It's not like they took something old and cheesy from a different genre and transformed it.

2) I feel like BoC's creativity has been at a low ebb for a while now, and MacQuarie Ridge was one of the few recent tracks of theirs I thought sounded particularly fresh.

Guest Dogboy73

1) Disintegration loops are a current work in the same overall genre as BoC. It's not like they took something old and cheesy from a different genre and transformed it.

True. But they've only taken something simple & built on it. But as I said before I think it plays out like homage to Basinski rather than ripping him off.

True. But they've only taken something simple & built on it. But as I said before I think it plays out like homage to Basinski rather than ripping him off.

BOC didn't sample Basinski for that track at all. Also, 'Roygbiv' was written from scratch, as is nearly everything else BOC have released. The only samples used in Boards' tracks are typically speech/vocal samples. (The exceptions are 'Aquarius' and 'Nlogax', where the former was actually a re-creation on the groove from 'Hair'.)

BOC didn't sample Basinski for that track at all. Also, 'Roygbiv' was written from scratch, as is nearly everything else BOC have released. The only samples used in Boards' tracks are typically speech/vocal samples. (The exceptions are 'Aquarius' and 'Nlogax', where the former was actually a re-creation on the groove from 'Hair'.)

Are you sure? I usually don't agree with these sorts of comparisons, but in this case it sounds very close to me.

Archived