IGNORED

Beyonce's Sister Solange Samples Boards of Canada

Fredd-E

Guest endangered betche

Assuming this is not some elaborate hoax...

Ok. WTF?

1) Freescha produces a Britney Spears song.

2) Boards of Canada lets Beyonce's SISTER sample something from their work.

What's next?

3) The long rumored Madonna pig grunts make an appearance in the new Aphex album?

I'm so confused...

i think it's the filtered delayed white noise thing from the beginning of dayvan cowboy.

but from this youtube vid you'd wonder why they wouldn't just make a similar sample themselves. they hardly even use it. maybe i've missed something else?

Guest Enter a new display name
Makes me wonder how many BoC fans are going to buy her album just for the sample...

...while you have 2 copies of the movie that is featured on the Twoism cover...

Makes me wonder how many BoC fans are going to buy her album just for the sample...

...while you have 2 copies of the movie that is featured on the Twoism cover...

oh i want that!

Guest Moebius

It's simply the case that, with the amount of samples BoC has used from old songs, films, tv shows and the like, they'd be hypocrites not to allow others the same freedom with their work.

It's simply the case that, with the amount of samples BoC has used from old songs, films, tv shows and the like, they'd be hypocrites not to allow others the same freedom with their work.

BOC are very thorough about the painstaking creation of sounds that seem to be samples of something old, when in fact they're not.

The actual music-sample usage by BOC from other people's work is really not very much at all, and in any case is quite explicitly obvious when it has been done; examples include the beat and bassline in the 7" single version of "Aquarius" (which the band then re-created from scratch for the album version, using real bass and percussion), and the beat in the 12" version of "Nlogax".

Boards of Canada have obviously used a lot of speech samples in their work over the years, such as the Leslie Nielsen sample in "Dandelion", the "Energy Warning" speech, the "From One Source All Things Depend" speech, etc.. But even with speech samples, much of it is created by BOC collaborating with various friends (for example half of the speech on "Geogaddi" was custom-done, and again much of "Music Has The Right To Children")

And contrary to popular belief, "Magic Window" wasn't sampled from John Cage, it was actually assembled from samples of the gaps on "Bitches Brew".

Guest Enter a new display name
And contrary to popular belief, "Magic Window" wasn't sampled from John Cage, it was actually assembled from samples of the gaps on "Bitches Brew".

Sampling silence is the shit!

BOC are very thorough about the painstaking creation of sounds that seem to be samples of something old, when in fact they're not.

The actual music-sample usage by BOC from other people's work is really not very much at all, and in any case is quite explicitly obvious when it has been done; examples include the beat and bassline in the 7" single version of "Aquarius" (which the band then re-created from scratch for the album version, using real bass and percussion), and the beat in the 12" version of "Nlogax".

Boards of Canada have obviously used a lot of speech samples in their work over the years, such as the Leslie Nielsen sample in "Dandelion", the "Energy Warning" speech, the "From One Source All Things Depend" speech, etc.. But even with speech samples, much of it is created by BOC collaborating with various friends (for example half of the speech on "Geogaddi" was custom-done, and again much of "Music Has The Right To Children")

I was wondering how they'd managed to sample 'Hair' without all the trumpets.

Archived