IGNORED

BoC playing at...Starbucks?!

Guest mutesauce

Guest mutesauce

Yeah, you read that title correctly.

I work part-time at a Starbucks. The music played there is pre-selected and usually quite terrible. Imagine my surprise when I heard *GASP* BoC's "Sunshine Recorder" come out of the café's soundsystem the other day! I was completely taken aback; never in a million years would I have expected it.

So what does everyone else think? Is this good exposure for a band that deserves to be heard? Or is it disappointing that a corporation is using BoC's music?

Well, at the end of the day, look at it this way - if people hear it, like it, and then inquire and go and buy the music, isn't that a good thing?

Plus, hopefully some of that licensing fee trickles back down to Mike and Marcus...

Guest mutesauce
Well, at the end of the day, look at it this way - if people hear it, like it, and then inquire and go and buy the music, isn't that a good thing?

Plus, hopefully some of that licensing fee trickles back down to Mike and Marcus...

This, basically.

I occasionally hook up my own mp3 player to the soundsystem (Shhh, it's a big no-no!) and have plenty of people coming up to me saying "This is great, who is this playing right now?" So yes, there is a fair amount to be said for just having the music out there by any means.

As for that last part...it would be nice, but I won't be holding my breath.

Guest Caustic

i've heard loads of IDM tracks being played a nearby game shop.

unfortunately they were 1 in 10 between loads of shit dubstep.

not if it's the wrong people

So what does everyone else think? Is this good exposure for a band that deserves to be heard? Or is it disappointing that a corporation is using BoC's music?

I think it depends on how it is recieved.  If it becomes a trendy thing, and teenagers start all that "OMG, I luv BoC, they r sew hott!!", I think I might take up serial murder.

For the most part, I think most people to which pop appeals would be a little turned off if they heard The Color of Fire for the first time sipping a syrupy latte.

Guest musicforairports

I heard "Amo Bishop Roden" playing at a coffee shop a few weeks ago followed by St.Germain so I think it was one of those "ministry of sound chillout sessions" cd's.

they produced a solange track. are you really that surprised

Solange used an existing BOC track in its entirety as a backing track for her song.

BOC didn't produce a Solange track.

Solange used an existing BOC track in its entirety as a backing track for her song.

No,but they "produced" the track that became the Solange massacre,quite possibly the worst use of a backing track that has ever had vocals added to it.

No doubt their local co-op savings account benefitted from it though.

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

i don't mind that a corporation plays boards of canada to help out. i agree with Joyrex that boards of canada should be paid for their work.

Guest Adjective

i'm sure they like being enjoyed by anyone and that there are no wrong people. i doubt that this means they'll start writing music exclusively for commercial products. or i don't know maybe it does, we should burn this subforum down to the ground so that the wrong people don't discover BOC

Guest extherium

On the channel menu for one of the local cable TV providers I've heard both Satellite Anthem Icarus and Hey Saturday Sun.

Mike and Marcus Vick?

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!

*takes a breath, re-reads*

AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I understand now!  The BoC subforum is the cacauphony of rabid, inane, puritist fans!!

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
On the channel menu for one of the local cable TV providers I've heard both Satellite Anthem Icarus and Hey Saturday Sun.

The work of college students no doubt! You can blame them for the Starbucks music too! Damn them!

Guest Glass Plate
I occasionally hook up my own mp3 player to the soundsystem (Shhh, it's a big no-no!) and have plenty of people coming up to me saying "This is great, who is this playing right now?" So yes, there is a fair amount to be said for just having the music out there by any means.

I used to do the same thing at Quizno's when you're not supposed to.

Archived