IGNORED

a delayed question

Guest twiddler

Guest twiddler

I am new here and I thought this is a good place to ask: I noticed that they used a sample from Strawberry Fields Forever by the Beatles on Kid For Today and also on Sequoia from A Few Old Tunes - actually, the latter I noticed first, since it's more recognizable. It is just the left channel thumping drumbeat, and I am pretty sure about that. However, I don't have the sleeve for In a Beautiful Place and just wanted to know if it was credited. I know that the Aquarius sample from Hair still surprises some fans, and maybe the same goes for the sampled beat from last Night A DJ Saved My Life on Nlogax.

I am interested in checking out other music BoC have sampled, since in most cases it's pretty good(apparently). Does anyone have more knowledge to share about that?

Guest twiddler
Submit the song you think this is sampled from.

This is just the bit where the beat comes in... it's easy to sample, since it's only drums on the channel. Oh, and I haven't done uploads here, so it may not work the first time(sorry if it doesn't!)strawberryfields.mp3

Guest twiddler
interesting. can someone isolate the left channel and upload it? i'm at work, otherwise i'd do it.

starberryfieldsleft.mp3

At your service. I noticed this a few years ago, but recently I started listening to In a Beautiful Place and thought it might be interesting.

Guest twiddler
i think i hear it.

you're referring to the fill between "strawberry fields" and "nothing is real", right?

yeah! it's quiet and the lows are cut, but what is more convincing is sequoia from a few old tunes - there the beat is more audible.

Guest twiddler
I can't hear it at all.. and I think it's nothing but a coincedence...

mmm, I would have to disagree with you. Kid For Today and sequoia DO share the same sample, I'm pretty sure about that. Now I'm at work and can't upload something from Sequoia, but when I'm home I will. Actually, it was one of the reasons that convinced me that A Few Old Tunes is really BoC - they used the same sample(as well as they used many others from the old tunes). So, Fredd, with all my respect for your work, please listen more carefully!

Guest twiddler

Ok, now - check out this left channel extract from Sequoia.sequoiabit.mp3

(the Strawberry Fields drumbeat is more audible on this channel), the drumloop we're talking about kicks in shortly before 2 sec.

I tried to make a more easily recognizable loop from Strawberry Fields, just put a highpass filter over it - not the best I can do, but I think it gives a better idea.strawberryloophipass.mp3

Now, notice the small detail in Sequoia - the cymbal, I think it makes it even more apparent. This is the same loop that appears in Kid For Today. Of course, only BoC could confirm that, but I remember that they have spoken about their respect for the Beatles, and even more specifically they mentioned Strawberry Fields in an interview(referring to the "I buried Paul" rumour). So, I think it is less probable to be a coincidence - after all, making subtle references to other artists is not unusual for BoC

what's the "I buried Paul" rumor?

p.s. yes, that second clip makes it more clear. i think you're right. sounds too similar to not be the same sample.

Guest BunnyRabbit
I think the rumor is that if you play sffe backwards you can hear a voice say ''I buried Paul''.

I buried paul

In the words of John Lennon it was "bullshit". :mu-ziq: Some dude made it up and then people looked for clues on the records.

Niice sample spot though. I agree with the suggestion and furthmore and propose we contact the Beatles lawyers without delay. :arrr:

I think the rumor is that if you play sffe backwards you can hear a voice say ''I buried Paul''.

actually, it's when you play it forwards, in the fade out, john says, "cranberry sauce", but it sounds a bit like "i buried paul" (or it sounds nothing like that, unless that's what you want it to sound like).

damn, too slow.

i_buried_paul.mp3

Guest twiddler
Niice sample spot though. I agree with the suggestion and furthmore and propose we contact the Beatles lawyers without delay. :arrr:

:ermm: Haha, that wasn't the original idea.. But I think in their earlier records they sampled some real good records and I thought it would be nice if people would share their own spots. For example, where did the beat on Seeya Later come from - I'm sure it appears also in other tracks - in Iced Cooly, in Smokes Quantity, and the latter shares a beat loop with Everything You Do Is A Balloon. And Oirectine shares its beat with 5-9-78... But I have no idea of their origin. It just sounds like some early 80's thing.. maybe.

this is probably a jazz band question, but i'll ask it anyways (at least it won't be a jazz band thread). does anyone have a list of the known samples used by boc?

i had no idea there was a 'strawberry fields forever' sample tucked away in there and i'm sure there are many more that i'm not aware of.

That would be a pretty big list I think, but there is quite some stuff listed on fredd-e's pages, as far as voice samples go anyway.

I can't hear it at all.. and I think it's nothing but a coincedence...

mmm, I would have to disagree with you. Kid For Today and sequoia DO share the same sample, I'm pretty sure about that. Now I'm at work and can't upload something from Sequoia, but when I'm home I will. Actually, it was one of the reasons that convinced me that A Few Old Tunes is really BoC - they used the same sample(as well as they used many others from the old tunes). So, Fredd, with all my respect for your work, please listen more carefully!

I downloaded your new samples and yes now I hear it as well.

Nice spotting ;-)

Guest Skinko

:ermm: Haha, that wasn't the original idea.. But I think in their earlier records they sampled some real good records and I thought it would be nice if people would share their own spots. For example, where did the beat on Seeya Later come from - I'm sure it appears also in other tracks - in Iced Cooly, in Smokes Quantity, and the latter shares a beat loop with Everything You Do Is A Balloon. And Oirectine shares its beat with 5-9-78... But I have no idea of their origin. It just sounds like some early 80's thing.. maybe.

5-9-78's beats are the ones used on a beautiful place out in the country as well. Albeit slowed down.

Guest twiddler
5-9-78's beats are the ones used on a beautiful place out in the country as well. Albeit slowed down.

Yeah, you're right I think! Not a complex beat to replicate, but it matches well.

A list of BoC sampled records would be difficult to make, since in most cases it's not so easy to track down the sources - but it would make a nice addition to Fredd's site;)

Guest spike

is it possible that boc just have a library of beats and loops and shit, and then they use them, and then they make sick-ass tracks with them? YES.

i can't hear the similarities other then the use of "drums".

Guest BunnyRabbit
is it possible that boc just have a library of beats and loops and shit, and then they use them, and then they make sick-ass tracks with them? YES.

i can't hear the similarities other then the use of "drums".

I belch, sarcastically, in your general direction.

Archived