IGNORED

the black dog - spanners - psil-cosyin

easterlingman

Never listened to Black Dog. Is Spanners a good place to start? Btw, what's the relation between them and Plaid?

Spanners is a great place to start. Plaid were part of Black Dog but left because Ken Downes is psycho or something

bytes is way better than spanners

spanners is genius

music for adverts is shite

all black dog since plaid left is pure drivel

discuss that

om

music for adverts is shite

I remember waiting for this to come out in the States( pre- internet days) and i was so amped when I found it at Other Music in New York city in 1998 and so utterly disappointed when I heard it. I'll check "Bytes".

Never listened to Black Dog. Is Spanners a good place to start? Btw, what's the relation between them and Plaid?

Spanners is a great place to start. Plaid were part of Black Dog but left because Ken Downes is psycho or something

Ok, thanks.

much love for this album.. although bytes is class, spanners easily has it beat!

I can't believe I don't own spanners... I used to see it all the time in the 90's, but it was always $18 or so. I'd tell myself I'd buy it whenever I could find a copy for less than $15... of course that never happened and my opportunities have all dried up :(

psil-cosyin is a great choon, but I can't say I like it more than chase the manhattan.

since we're on about the black dog, I would be remiss if I didn't name-drop the temple of transparent balls. most of this album is hideously dated (most of all the cover artwork) but there are two songs any plaid/tbd fan MUST know: cost II and in the light of grey. find those two and thank me later!

it's one of the best cds i've ever heard i think... i revisit it quite a bit... the story for me behind spanners is... my wife bought this cd within our first month of relationship... i have heard of them at the time... but never gave effort in getting a cd of theirs. she basically bought the cd and made it seem like she knew who they were so she can impress me... and of course... it worked.

(wow... utopian dream is playing on my itunes while i type this)

nah nah nah. ken downie has always been good, i loved "music for short films and adverts", it was Plaid who turned into musak for elevators after their first album, "not for 3ees" was good, everything else, less so, i see more of a Downie influence on spanners and bytes than the other 2 stooges of placid clean sound.

first heard psycosyin off the Peel Session...was the last track I think. Belter for sure...got the classic middle eastern/morroccan feel to it.

Personally, I quite enjoyed last year's Silenced out on Dust Recordings. Not a classic or heavy hitter by any means, but has a nice middle section and a reasonably sedate flow - easy on the ears and slightly retro sound to it.

Worth a listen if you don't have any preconceived attitudes towards Downie.

first heard psycosyin off the Peel Session...was the last track I think. Belter for sure...got the classic middle eastern/morroccan feel to it.

Personally, I quite enjoyed last year's Silenced out on Dust Recordings. Not a classic or heavy hitter by any means, but has a nice middle section and a reasonably sedate flow - easy on the ears and slightly retro sound to it.

Worth a listen if you don't have any preconceived attitudes towards Downie.

yes, Silenced is a good listen

• 5 years later...

I prefer Spanners over Bytes, psil-cosyin is a classic. On Bytes, I like the two Plaid tracks and Close Up Over - Jauqq. I also unfollowed TBD after the release of Music for Adverts.

• 1 year later...

Brilliant track. Brilliant album.

And after all these years, I haven't heard any album having a similar vibe and quality. It stands completely on its own. Even within the Black Dog output.

Archived