IGNORED

the black dog - spanners - psil-cosyin

easterlingman

In 1998, I was a record/C.D. previewer for my college's radio station, and I was payed in C.D.s: I got to keep my favorite C.D. out of the stack they gave me to review. "Spanners" was my absolute favorite out of my payment, almost from the moment I put it on in my discman (such a nice intro, and I loved that goofy orange label on the disc itself). That said, I think the album lags at times. The track that almost always throws the album off for me is "Chase the Manhattan". I can't stand those conspiracy-theory samples. Barf. They sound like a bunch of yokles describing U.F.O.s, and I would be embarrassed to play that track for a friend as part of my favorite album of all time.

That said, of course Raxmus, Psil-Cosyin, Nommo, Frisbee Skip, and Chesh are excellent tracks, and I would be proud to introduce this music to any of my acquaintances. I just can't assent to the claim that the album as a whole is one of the best. That one track is a major blemish, in my view. And as someone mentioned already, the artwork is pretty dorky (although I like the purple theme--the "Holy Cow--3D graphics!" CGI is lame).

By the way, my favorite part of the cover on my copy is the gold lettering that says "Not for resale" right on the dog. Take that, shitty visuals!

QUOTE (mosca @ Jul 22 2006, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
music for adverts is shite

I remember waiting for this to come out in the States( pre- internet days) and i was so amped when I found it at Other Music in New York city in 1998 and so utterly disappointed when I heard it. I'll check "Bytes".

I know this post is six years old

but, are you me? I bought this disc at Other Music and was also very disappointed.

I don't know how anyone could be disappointed by Spanners. even the artwork is class and very 1994, which is good, imo.

it's like picking up a Beatles CD now and saying 'oh look at that font they used, it's shit, and look at that photo, it's so bad, what are they wearing..?' lol... what do you expect from 1964/1994?

I don't know how anyone could be disappointed by Spanners. even the artwork is class and very 1994, which is good, imo.

it's like picking up a Beatles CD now and saying 'oh look at that font they used, it's shit, and look at that photo, it's so bad, what are they wearing..?' lol... what do you expect from 1964/1994?

we're talking about music for adverts!

we're talking about music for adverts!

oh! ok... in the thread about Spanners? lol, I didn't realise. pardon me :)

edit: i'm sure somebody was talking about the Spanners artwork being crap... that's what I was addressing, etc. etc.

I like music for adverts ASF. The live version of stratus is something special though, ken is some wizard

yeah that's a great one. so is the whole set.

I like MFA, all apart from 'Dumb & Dumber' which is a shit track, imo. - complete mess and sounds awful. but that was probably the point.

like people have said before, MFA kind of sounds unfinished and too sparse, but it works for me as a solo album.

of course it would've been something else completely... another amazing album like Spanners, had Ed & Andy stuck around to work on it. - a 3-headed Dog is better than 1, etc.

Ken seemed to lose the wizardry touch after 97, apart from the odd track here and there, and then spent the next 10 years slagging off Plaid and making mostly 'meh' music.

sorry to the diehard Downie Dog fans, if there are any here apart from chassis, but it's true.

anyway, Spanners is awesome, yup. :smile:

Guest terraform

Bytes is a supreme album. Like tuning into a radio show from another planet. Would love Warp to re-release a 20 year anniversary remastered version.

Bytes is a supreme album. Like tuning into a radio show from another planet. Would love Warp to re-release a 20 year anniversary remastered version.

yeah that would be nice.

dunno how they'd split the royalties now, though, seeing as Plaid aren't part of tBD anymore...

surely that would entail having to sign some sort of contract again in order to re-release it, as a group?

I doubt it will happen, but t'would be great if it did, and with extra tracks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest terraform

Yup, could be a tricky one to organise and I guess it could only happen if all the parties were happy. Still, Soma released a fair old chunk of the early material so you never know.

Yup, could be a tricky one to organise and I guess it could only happen if all the parties were happy. Still, Soma released a fair old chunk of the early material so you never know.

don't think that really had much to do with plaid other than them obviously saying yes to it when asked.

it was remastered by richard dust... artwork by somebody else too. and those old releases were mostly all on their own label 'black dog productions'.

don't think any of them (ep's) were signed to another label, like GPR or Rising High or Art, etc. so i guess it was pretty easy to do.

I reckon the nearest we'll get to any bytes or warp related black dog productions re-releases is plaid's new album later this year.

which is a better thing anyway, than any re-release. :)

forgot that the Cost ep was also re-released, and possibly also Temple of Transparent Balls? can't remember...

but they were both originally released on GPR, anyway, I think. which went defukt ages ago, I think, if I remember rightly.

I don't care to back up or check any of my info with research or facts. sue me. :smile:

• 1 month later...
About 12 years ago round a friends i was tripping on half an

"E".. didn't take it much so half was enough for me :) anyway we were

listening to Psil-cosyin and i began to focus in on the track like no time ever

before, i then noticed there a was a change roughly every ten seconds and many

of the changes where major changes. Laying back deeper into my seat focusing on

every little change it felt like the track began to suck me in to the point

where i was completely as-one with the music. I know i was tripping at the time

but this was some heavy shit going on!.. think i was shaking when the track

finished :)

That track (and album) is such a statement about their imaginativeness. After the split-up neither parties have reached that level, imo. It's as if they completely forgot to take drugs before they start to make music. (being a responsible adult is bad for all kinds of things!)

• 2 weeks later...

^ Yeah., however Silenced is a special album that may appeal to you more. Further Vexations was pretty decent too. The latest one is pretty dull straight-ahead techno and thoroughly not recommended.

• 2 months later...
Guest mankymusic

spanners changed my outlook on music, it is an almost perfect album, I never get bored of it.

I've enjoyed a lot of black dog and plaid stuff since but this is always the one - actually I think "ov mind, ov majick" is close, just I could buy an actual copy of it.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember reading that chesh was Ed. Not sure about the rest, a lot of it sounds collaborative as you can hear bits of both future plaid and future black dog on lots of tracks.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Archived