IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Laptop studio... So basically if you have enough laptops like mah herr' studio, you can connect them all by ethernet (or upgrade to fiber optic) and do a mini render farm and cloud platform to get several teraflops from shit old school shit. The only problem is latency, which is not a problem if using custom code "borrowed" from ILM for CGI usage. So basically, work for ILM, modify custom software used in Jurassic Park attained by hooking up some dude with OG Kush, buy several dozen laptops that can only run up to Windows XP, install custom Linux build based on Debian, write custom DAW soft based on publicly released early branches of Reaper-- if all goes smoothly, you have a workstation system capable of squelching acid lines that doubles as a house heater. Cost: Indescribable. Benefits: Retarded. Conclusion: Buy a Mac Pro.

watmm_laptop-studio.jpg

I'm not sure if you're serious or a big time laptop thief but I used to use a program/plugin called fx-teleport which allowed you to use other cpu's to power plugins over lan. Worked great to be honest but then I got an i5 system and now I have more than enough power for me.

No extra coding required and you get to keep the Kush :)

lol why you have so many of them?

also, what's that in the left corner on the first pic? some kind of old speaker?

Yah, 70's speaker. And prolly everywhere in the world, when companies buy newer systems, you can buy all their older systems for like $1 (or dumpster dive).

I'm not sure if you're serious or a big time laptop thief but I used to use a program/plugin called fx-teleport which allowed you to use other cpu's to power plugins over lan. Worked great to be honest but then I got an i5 system and now I have more than enough power for me.

No extra coding required and you get to keep the Kush :)

With Macs, Logic has built in farm processing ting, which is how I got the idea in the first place. But as concluded, any new system can run a DAW quite well, without latency or hickups. Basically if your track skips or whatever, you don't know how to use da ting efficiently! For this, I'm grateful to my old school PowerBook G4, because I had to learn efficiency on that thing like a mofo. Learn how to get good with "shit"-- go ultra with some new system.

nice to see things moving along smartly for you zoe. I like how the thing looks as well, don't know anything about hardware so can't say any more than that. heh.

lol @ peace & too many laptops.

how does it sound?

The vocoder? Hard to say so far, I've only had it a week and don't have a preamp yet, so I've only got a few squeaks and squawks out of it. I haven't even installed most of it (slewing, voiced/unvoiced detector) in the rack yet. :/

This sounds good though. :)

BuN_g8VIEAAB46H.jpg

Kudos on the aesthetics of this. That is a very pretty front-plate.

how does it sound?

The vocoder? Hard to say so far, I've only had it a week and don't have a preamp yet, so I've only got a few squeaks and squawks out of it. I haven't even installed most of it (slewing, voiced/unvoiced detector) in the rack yet. :/

This sounds good though. :)

BuN_g8VIEAAB46H.jpg

nice, is that your thing that you and your partner designed?

It is! :D We start selling it next month. I'm so excited!

BwZw3SvCMAAhbbX.jpg

Woah, congrats on this and best of luck! Agree with everyone else, it's beautiful.

Thanks everyone! It's really more Nina's child than mine, but I wrote most of the sequencer's firmware (about 2,600 lines of C). Nina helped me with the lower level parts of the sequencer's firmware, wrote all of the interface board's firmware, and designed and built all of the hardware, from designing the circuit boards and front panel layout to sourcing the parts to soldering it all together. In the early stages, she even etched the circuit board in the kitchen of our old flat. (Incidentally, those chemicals look disconcertingly like chip shop curry powder.) She's since repurposed an Argos toaster oven as a reflow oven. So I can only take a small part of the credit. She's the real genius behind it, and certainly the perfectionist.

Thanks! Should I start a new thread? I don't want to take over this one too much!

definitely deserving of its own thread (with instructions on how to purchase!)

Guest FuncRandm

Does anyone know if there are any modular meetups in London? I was tempted to head down to the Hackspace music hacking night, but wasn't sure if it was really what I was looking for (more modulars rather than circuit bending.)

Thanks! Should I start a new thread? I don't want to take over this one too much!

Does anyone know if there are any modular meetups in London?

Was just wondering the same thing. Don't have any room for one (bedroom flat means I'm pretty much software only) but I'd certainly love to be able to try my hands on them !

Thread added!

Does anyone know if there are any modular meetups in London? I was tempted to head down to the Hackspace music hacking night, but wasn't sure if it was really what I was looking for (more modulars rather than circuit bending.)

Check out the Muff's meetups forum, it's international. There are certainly London meetups quite often.

If you go to London Modular in Hackney they will let you get hands on with a decent sized demo system and are really friendly and will give good advice. Schneider's demo room at Rough Trade no longer there.

With Macs, Logic has built in farm processing ting, which is how I got the idea in the first place. But as concluded, any new system can run a DAW quite well, without latency or hickups. Basically if your track skips or whatever, you don't know how to use da ting efficiently! For this, I'm grateful to my old school PowerBook G4, because I had to learn efficiency on that thing like a mofo. Learn how to get good with "shit"-- go ultra with some new system.

wtf

wtf

What's uh... What seems to be the uh... issue. here. ?

• 2 weeks later...