IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

haha no. Not ready yet. The stuff on my SC is pre computer and stuff using just testing the Elektrons.

You've amassed all that kit and you haven't even managed to make one tune yet? What the fuck?

...Do you just go in that room to have a wank or something?

(Droolworthy setup btw)

260z6tw.jpg

Ah, a WATMMer with a Tiny Terror! Been keeping half an eye out for a second hand one - how are you finding it? Have you put any synths through it or just guitar so far?

Guest Chesney

haha no. Not ready yet. The stuff on my SC is pre computer and stuff using just testing the Elektrons.

You've amassed all that kit and you haven't even managed to make one tune yet? What the fuck?

...Do you just go in that room to have a wank or something?

haha, yeah I guess all i do is wank. Tunes are not good enough for other ears yet. may never be, who knows. The goal is to spend time enjoying myself making music. If it's good enough to fly off and leave the nest then it will eventually.

I don't know why people get so hung up on monitors for production. Monitor position is important for mixing, but makes fuck all difference for writing and arranging music.

I compose, mix and master all of my music on a set of Logitech 5.1 speakers. It largely sounds like shit, but I'm used to them by now so I can compensate for their sound. Still would love some nice monitors though.

I don't know. Honestly my productivity has suffered so badly in the past due to too much focus on sound design and not enough on composition and actually development of musical ideas, that I've almost removed mixing from my workflow completely haha.

These days I perform all arrangement on the fly, and just record a stereo audio track out. Then simple EQing and maybe compression makes that into a final track. If it still doesn't sound decent then I just record it again.

For me these days music has become extremely ephemeral, and I really lose interest in dumping hours and hours into polishing something that will be listened to by 4 people on the internet.

Done and out there > perfect and rotting on a hard drive. I just see it all as process, and by making each output super precious it can really distort the pathways you're willing to explore.

I'm becoming like this. Every now and then I'll snap back into writing unnecessarily intricate prog stuff in Renoise but ever since I acquired a bunch of hardware (and reading Ae's comments about edited jams in the AAA thread) my music has become more spontaneous and jam-like. I'm not sure if it's better than my ridiculous prog compositions but it makes playing a gig more 'live' and less just me playing guitar over a backing track.

Finally rearranged everything to be connected and under hands more or less:

A6DmoPM.jpg

that picture is trippy, the chair and furniture itself looks small, but the stuff on the desk and the keyboards look even smaller, until i realize they are a d50 and some 19" rack gear. love it. what is the gearlist in those rack pieces? are those d110's? and?

Finally rearranged everything to be connected and under hands more or less:

[pic]

that picture is trippy, the chair and furniture itself looks small, but the stuff on the desk and the keyboards look even smaller, until i realize they are a d50 and some 19" rack gear. love it. what is the gearlist in those rack pieces? are those d110's? and?

That's the perspective of 18mm lens :) Gear list: Yamaha DX11, Roland D50 keyboards, rack: nord micromodular, presonus firestudio audiointerface, 2x alesis quadraverb, studio electronics atc-1 with oberheim SEM filter (VCO monosynth), oberheim matrix 1000 (DCO 6-voice polysynth), amplifier.

I really like your setup. This Studio Electronics ATC-1 looks great, I might be interested in getting one at some point. Do you like Quadraverbs that much that you use two of them? Like one for reverb, the other one for more FX or so?

I think there is a part of that yeah. Technical music attracts technical people and some are fanatical, some are fanatical about artists and some are fanatical about gear.

hmmm I wonder which one I am?

Battlestation fitting the best it has done in years (ha)

i5u3aa.jpg

wow nice studio Ches

Do you get much use out of the Tascam 80-8 ?

I have one too and I have yet to route it to my patchbay and do a project on it. When I get some time I will post you some pics of my studio

The main work room looks a lot like yours but do to NY rent I have 2 other make shift rooms in my apt and rehearsal basement. In any case your studio pics are inspiring

Edited by Phlexunger

I really like your setup. This Studio Electronics ATC-1 looks great, I might be interested in getting one at some point. Do you like Quadraverbs that much that you use two of them? Like one for reverb, the other one for more FX or so?

Thanks! quadraverbs are great for me partly because of early warp stuff where they were used heavily and their hall reverb is really spacey. For example those 2 tracks are nothing more than a matrix1000 into a quadraverb:

got them really cheap and having 2 of them is nice because of 2 synths can go directly to a mixer without using limited amount of outputs from a audiointerface. Want an Ensoniq DP4 so all of them can be connected without computer.

Sean Booth on quadraverb ( http://autechre.net.ua/interviews/interview39.htm):

The Alesis QuadraVerb is great, as well. It is a sick, sick device. Amazing. I don't think people really understand the intricacies of outboard effects. They think they are all the same 'cause they all offer the same range of functions. But it's all about the weird space in between. The reverbs in those rack effects are beautiful, even though they are digital. They've got a gorgeous tone.”
Edited by Aefx

Yeah a lot of things decided me to buy a Quadraverb lately. I was afraid that the syrobonkers! interview make them take too much value but here in europa it already went down back to the 50 euros "OK" second hand price they seemed to cost before.

I'm still borrowing a reverb from a friend , the Lexicon MPX1. I'm not too fond about it but maybe it's just because I didn't try that much to tweak it and find the sweet spots (I thought I would replace it quicker).

want quadraverb too mainly for abuse via midi etc. already doing this tricks with dp2's delay algos by the way

sounds good but I don't understand! what do you mean exactly?

Ah, a WATMMer with a Tiny Terror! Been keeping half an eye out for a second hand one - how are you finding it? Have you put any synths through it or just guitar so far?

No! I've tried to think wiring my computer outputs to the amp input to mess around with my VSTs but it's obviously not gonna happen. I've tried to play field recording in it too but doesn't work either. I'll definitely mess with it when I get an hardware synth. Should be quite good.

It's an amazing amp really. Very cute but what a powerful sound. I've wired my Microcube output to its input to mess around with the Roland effects. They kinda suck of course but I get some nice stutter/glitch effects by twiddling the amp sim/effect knobs.

It's perfect both for the house and the scene! I was using it when I was playing in my high school punk rock band.

I don't know why people get so hung up on monitors for production. Monitor position is important for mixing, but makes fuck all difference for writing and arranging music.

Personally I find it very difficult to create anything when it sounds like shit. And given how much effort I put into mixing (which I also enjoy), it makes sense to have a sweet spot that I work in.

how much are these modules and whats so great about them?

It's more the case I'm jealous of, I have plenty of Stepper Acid modules. :) They're like the sequencer from a TB-303, only redesigned to be easier to use and geared towards live performance. They're £295. We use them to make acidlines with various different types of filter, some 303 style, some not. (Wasp and MS-20 style work well, for instance.) The reason we have so many is because we make them. We'll be showing them off in this case at the next modular synth meetup in Yorkshire.

ive gone from having a studio next to one of the hartnoll brothers to not being able to make music, to being relegated to an attic room. doh

getting back on my feet moving to central london soon so back to searching for a good space. its REALLY important to me to be able to make some noise in peace. the last few weeks i have been uncurling leads and plugging things back in :dry:

sound restrictions are crap

4sigpx.jpg

Guest Chesney

Thanks phlex. Yeah I use the 80-8as much as possible. Tape is scarce but with 8 tracks I can get more mileage. I love it. Just the process and the sound. It's a shame music has to return to digital because the tape machine to mixer to monitors is the sweetest warmth ever.

Damn Zoeb, that's some lovely spalted wood. Jealous also.

Lovely stuff lala. I spot yhe PCM70,how you finding it? I love my PCM 80, I just got it back in my rack the other day.

What is the knobby thing on the right? On the bed slats.

some more pics:

fc01n8.jpg

4hcq3n.jpg

24fikgj.jpg

the knobby synth is a macbeth mk1 modular. i love it so much. it can go acid like caustic window then big and funky and moogy. its well nice!

not showing is my samplers (emu ultra, roland DJ70 & akai s1000) which need to get out of boxes, mixing desk which is arriving soon (where its going to go ive got no idea!) the rest the rest of the ear system, and some compression, when ive saved and decided which to buy (EL/Chandler/Kush/Api.. something really nice)

its in a residential area tho! arghhhh

oh, the PCM70 - i got it *mint* for £300. not a scratch on it virtually.

its ... dark? a bit murky - compared to something hi-fi like the TC reverbs. ive only been browsing the presets at the moment but it somehow connects or envelopes the sound so i can forget sometimes its there. apparently thats a bit of a lex thing. im new to them

it is a bit metallic (so far) compared to the TC m3000 which i can get to be a bit glossy/pearl? but like i said, ive only just scored it and havent even pushed it to any limits - just stuck it on tiled room, rich plate & the other long one to see what all the fuss was about.

i really like it! makes things sound good. also makes me realise i really like modern stuff too, and wont ever get rid of the M3000.

id defo consider a more hi-fi lexicon, and maybe even a new eclipse, alongside an H-model eventide. i like both styles

Edited by lala

Guest bitroast

ive gone from having a studio next to one of the hartnoll brothers to not being able to make music, to being relegated to an attic room. doh

getting back on my feet moving to central london soon so back to searching for a good space. its REALLY important to me to be able to make some noise in peace. the last few weeks i have been uncurling leads and plugging things back in :dry:

sound restrictions are crap

4sigpx.jpg

OHHH shiiiiiit.

lots of stuff going on here. how's the sherman?? i have my eye on the sherman atm tbh :):) sounds like a monster ..