IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Also, I'm very much curious to see what can I do with Monomachine and Machinedrum. Why? Well... a friend of mine has a room full of HWs, synths, drum machines, effects, mixers, everything.... Last week i went to visit him in his badroom-studio and i realized two things:

First, hardware synths and drum machines can be quite fun. I knew that before but for some reason i'm much more aware of that now than before. I didn't care about that cause i'm/was happy ITB. Now I'm more intrigued with the idea.

Second, the thing that i'm intrigued with even more is that imho (!!!) i'm incredibly capable of extracting juices from a machine, as i'm from a piece of software but with a HW that ability of mine is even more apparent, apparently. I'm sorry if i'm sounding arrogant. Don't hate me ;) I realized that i instinctively approach to a machine (more than to a sw) as i approach to a woman, sensually and sexualy speaking (i hope you're realizing that i'm not objectifying women here in any negative sense), i 'think' less and 'do, feel, am' more and juices just flow, meaning, i'm closer to the core of what i think is the nature of music it self => consumable abstructions of energies and ideas that we resonate with, mostly unconsciously (well, we can say this for all other forms of art but imo music is the most emotional, direct, potent and expressive of all).

Speaking of software, Reason (Propellerhead's) pretty much lets me be me, it communicates in that sense with me and although i'm using Ableton with all the best vst/vsti there is for many years now, even Supercollider, i'm maybe the most emotional in Reason and i'm still using it for that very reason. Maybe cause it's the simplest and the most user-friendly of the bunch but i can also be quite emotional in Max too. All i have to do is to make an environment where i can stop thinking rational/logical, to be free, and that's the biggest problem with computers, which i love so much. How to be irational with a computer? Music is irational. It takes too much of the brain power to constantly convert from irational/emotional to rational production back to irational and back again. I can do that, i'm doing that, but i'd like to try something new. Sometimes my unconsciousness takes care for it all. I can't explain to you how little was i 'logical and rational' when i was making environments for these tracks below... So much that i can't completely remember how i made them, i was looking at the files and patches later and i couldn't remember what was i thinking but i like the results. The end results to me just make sense.

https://soundcloud.com/notein/sil3-excerpt

https://soundcloud.com/notein/i-would-space-for-you

https://soundcloud.com/notein/opq0

So, to finaly give the answer to the first question: WHY hardware and WHY those two machines?

>>> The premis is that with MD and MnM i could find that sweet spot between fun, freedom and capability.

Of course, Reason, Ableton, SuperCollider and Max/MSP will always be here if i was wrong, waiting for me to come back to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey yey! I have the money for MDuw & MnM. Yes sir! :yeah:

Elektron said they're expecting to be restocked in april (i want to buy from them directly).

But i'm still thinking whether to go that route or not. I'm 80:20 in favour of yes.

80 cause of all the said several posts up in this thread and 20 cause it's still 1500 euros (+ i'd have to buy a mixer [immediately] and an interface with more analog i/o [later, it's not that urgent]) and the sound palette could be too narrow...just could be.

What say ya watmm?!

p.s. should i have started another thread? sorry for going off topic

Edited by xox

Guest Chesney

Go for the fun ones i.e. Elektron.

Keep us informed on how you get on.

Why not get one first and try it see if you like it? the MD was my first and MnM was the last.

Go for the fun ones i.e. Elektron.

Why not get one first and try it see if you like it? the MD was my first and MnM was the last.

Yes, i could buy one first and that's what would a normal person do but how i think is if i'd be insecure enough about buying both of them then i wouldnt buy neither of them cause they are similar enough and different enough, if u know what i mean. ;)

Will inform, of course.

srsly though, get one first imo...

they're a bit difficult to learn at first & you'll have more focus on one piece of kit...

each individually is deep enough to do a ton of cool shit months or even years after starting out..

if you get two, imo, you'll be tempted to learn both of them more shallowly, never reaching their full potential...

Edited by Guest

if you get both, just route one box through the other instead of getting more I/O.

This routing stuff around on the Elektrons is total winrar

Edited by Guest

srsly though, get one first imo...

they're a bit difficult to learn at first & you'll have more focus on one piece of kit...

each individually is deep enough to do a ton of cool shit months or even years after starting out..

if you get two, imo, you'll be tempted to learn both of them more shallowly, never reaching their full potential...

hmmm...will think about buying just one of them first.

if you get both, just route one box through the other instead of getting more I/O.

This routing stuff around on the Elektrons is total winrar

oh? interesting! will try that.

i thought about buying an interface with at least 12 analog inputs like Roland Studio Capture to be able to record 6 MD's channels and 6 MnM's channels at the same time in highQ so i could mix them in Ableton more flexibly. but not now, later...and just maybe. maybe i wouldn't need it and it's not cheap either.

Guest Chesney

The effects are on the main outs only so you lose them with the individual outs. Routing a machine through another is great for jamming and live but not ideal for getting stuff recorded into DAW unless you are confident in what you have.

I'd try the MDUW first as it's a bonkers drum machine and really fun making melodies with and of course with your own samples. Drums on the MnM are not great but can be with work, it's more fun with the synthesis side. I have not even tried them jamming together yet myself but I do rout the MD into the A4 alot for jamming and played live a few times with them too.

i'm gonna wait for the restock(ation) at Elektron so i have about 2-3 week before purchase. 2-3 weeks of thinking, imagining, youtubing everything elektron related and reading of manuals. :catrecline: happy times! :catface:

Guest Chesney

yeah love it alot, will never let it go. It's totally different to the MnM though. It's a standard subtractive synth but with lots of options. And being able to take standard analogue subtractive to other places because of Plocks and the performance macros is just amazing. Of course the sequencer is the same to a degree but the MnM is all about the FM and Sid for me, the Voice synth is fun but not found a real use for it yet as it can sound gimmicky unless you really go deep and work at it.

Both synths are pretty bland sounding if you start from raw sounds, which is obviously the best way to start but as soon as you start tweaking and locking the thing start to make your head whir with possibilities.

I have gotten so much music from the A4 i'd have to it's my favourite out of the two but I have only had the MnM for a little while and already it's made some good stuff. Of course it's great for midi sequencing and the A4 is great for CV sequencing which is a godsend for some of my synths.

Debating getting a RYTM. Played with a few over the last few months and loved it every time... I just don't know if I really need a new drum machine. I have a 606, 707, MPC1k and electribe EMX... but you can never have enough, right?

Guest Chesney

When I got the MD I sold all my drum machines and sequencers. Had 5 mins with a friends rytm and didn't like the menu navigation, it started to annoy me but no doubting the sound.

Since bought a couple of drum machine though ha

Do it, why not man. You can't P lock those drum machines to get individual sounds per step so it's not going to step on any toes. Sure you can motion seq on the electribe but it's not the same.

Edited by Chesney