IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

^^ That Tascam tape recorder looks tempting.

I badly want that Tascam tape recorder - purely for the fact it has a speed/pitch knob. I actually had a dream last night that I fucked my mates off, because they wouldn't sell me their pitch shifting cassette recorders.

Got the Tascam off eBay a couple of months ago, haven't actually had too much time to play with it but oh man, do I love it. The pitch knob is amazing and it's weird how many tunes I've recorded that turn out to have a 'right' speed where it just sounds so much better , maybe a little bit down or up a touch. The whole thing is just a vibe machine, even the act of slotting in the tape makes me want to make trashy black metal EPs, or crunchy '90s-style beat tapes, or weird bedroom psych opuses. Lovely for running sterile-sounding 808 samples through too, or wee soul drum breaks.

Edited by Leon Sumbitches

I have a similar Tascam 4-track and I agree that just using it is inspiring. I'm much more inclined to mess about and experiment, something about the tangible but lo-fi nature of it means I'm less hung up on perfectionism, meaning I end up doing stuff I wouldn't normally think of recording to the computer. My latest and my next albums were all recorded using it and they just have the right energy to them. 

I have a similar Tascam 4-track and I agree that just using it is inspiring. I'm much more inclined to mess about and experiment, something about the tangible but lo-fi nature of it means I'm less hung up on perfectionism, meaning I end up doing stuff I wouldn't normally think of recording to the computer. My latest and my next albums were all recorded using it and they just have the right energy to them.

Totally, yeah...something magical about cassette 4-tracks.

(It's amazing how much workflow influences output...workflow workflow all about the workflow)

Totally, yeah...something magical about cassette 4-tracks.

(It's amazing how much workflow influences output...workflow workflow all about the workflow)

My old grey 424 that I did my first real recording on and then gave to a friend in college ended up coming back to me years later, still working great.  Would never part with it again, there's really something special about them. Not justthe cassette sound, the mixer makes everything you put through it sound "worse" but so much bigger.

Also the Mk I has the special third speed that's HALF the standard cassette speed, so you can get in to microcassette territory as far as lo-fi tape sound goes (or slow things down to 1/4 speed).  The MkII eliminated that.  I've never used a Mk III.

You guys are making me wanna dust off my 424mkI...

I think they are the most fun with a sampler. Any sampler.

For the longest time I've had a Digitech Midi Vocalist that I got in some trade I don't even remember and one of the things I've meant to try for ages is recording a single note on different tracks of a tape at the intervals you'd find on the first four drawbars of a hammond organ, and then running the output through the vocalist so I could use it in its "vocoder" mode (actually 5 voice harmonizing with MIDI control, none of the "intelligent" business) and playing the 4 track faders like drawbars.  The vocalist and the similar 90s budget harmonizers I've tried have a special kind of glitchy, grainy quality to them I like when they're used on stuff other than voice (and also on voice, for that matter - they don;'t work very well which is what makes them sound interesting). This is making me think I might have to finally do it tomorrow.

epyJGmO.jpg

:^)

v lush

spiral you look like a hoarder, do you need help? :biggrin:

You're not a hoarder until you have to climb over the stuff to get in and out of the room, right?

anyway, there was that research about clutter and creativity a few years ago, so now we've got the justification to let ourselves go.

Sweepstakes, you should get that 424 out, the preamp distortion alone will never not make me grin.  I love it. 

Edited by RSP

@westhead, I have a pack of your toy samples that im still yet to use....amazing if I remember.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

Cheers! I used them on all of my forthcoming album and they've given the whole thing a unique sound. Definitely heading more towards making my own samples - with the help of these, they only have mono mic inputs though which is a pain, and no pitch control!

14257641_1004600676315117_15622666763118

anyway, there was that research about clutter and creativity a few years ago, so now we've got the justification to let ourselves go.

Sweepstakes, you should get that 424 out, the preamp distortion alone will never not make me grin.  I love it. 

long known that many "geniuses" (einstein, newton etc) are often aloof messy and a bit scattered in their lives and single minded in their pursuits.. 

enhanced-10838-1433453496-2.jpg

regarding tape.. cassettes or whatever..  try slowing down the tape and recording that.. the you can pitch shift and get interesting results.. even with the noise.  something about the analog aspect of slowing the tape down then pitching and time stretching it after.. it's just a different process and _can_ sound cool on some stuff. 

if you can get a decent tape machine then it's even more flexible. 

Thanks, but I'll pass on the 200$ drawing.

Thanks for the input!

Hey, guys- Can I have some money? For life improvement purposes, that is. Like maybe if I sell a drawing to a thousand WATMM members- for $200 each- I can bank $200,000 and use that towards making some fucking wicked acid lines.

depends on the quality of the drawing tbqh

These are fucking old, but sooomething like these:

mousey_3.jpg

skull3_2.jpg

Hey, guys- Can I have some money? For life improvement purposes, that is. Like maybe if I sell a drawing to a thousand WATMM members- for $200 each- I can bank $200,000 and use that towards making some fucking wicked acid lines.

still have those lovely shirts? i could buy few drawings of them

Thanks for the input!

I'd happily buy a painting like your avatar for 200 that I can put up in the lounge to freak the kids out with.

Thanks, man- another thing to keep in mind for myself.

---Thanks, doodz.  I just wanted to put out some honest-thought vibez and see what's up.  One of the tangental plans related to selling art is that I put IDM and lazer/peace vibez into my work, and these spread to those who own my work and those who see it.  So it is another way for me to make the world a better place.  Vibez spread, and spread, and spread- outwards like infinite branches to twigs on a tree.  By expanding my creative network massively, I hope to cause significant improvement of overall well-being and life-quality for a niche in humanity.