IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

• 2 weeks later...

- Wee Volca Keys

Nice, how do you like it? It seems to have the most real-time control of all the volcas, and seems to be able to make quite a variety of sounds. I'm still eyeing that, and the sample.

It's so sweet having everything set up so that I can just switch from one thing to another without interfering with my workflow, time for DEEP SPACE ADVENTURES

Interesting, I'm actually moving in the opposite direction. After dozens of those kinds of setups over the years, I've pulled everything apart and shelved it but all within easy reach, so I can quickly add and remove stuff. I don't think I've ever been more pleased. I finally feel fearless about weird combinations, because I don't have to live with them now, I can love them and leave them.

Things are getting out of hand  

image1.jpg

How do you like the MS-20? I'm thinking about getting one of those and/or the 0-coast. I'm enjoying my Microbrute (finally!) more than anything else right now and the MS-20 looks like even more monosynth (with audio input!) to love.

- Wee Volca Keys

Nice, how do you like it? It seems to have the most real-time control of all the volcas, and seems to be able to make quite a variety of sounds. I'm still eyeing that, and the sample.

I like the Keys but oddly I find myself using it less than I thought I would. I think this is partly because I haven't known it as long as, for instance, my pishy old Casio keyboard, which is like an old friend I can fire up and start making tunes with right away.

That said the Keys is great and I should probably make more use of it than I do. One thing I've found it's really good for is windswept, stormy kinds of sounds; playing with the time knob for the delay with the feedback up high can make really nice wind-sweeping-across-the-moors sounds; I find myself doing stuff like this more than the kind of standard acidy arpeggio stuff. Will post an example later on.

The Keys IMO responds well to slow, slow incremental knob movements, you can coax some nicely organic stuff out of it this way. That said, I still need to spend more time with it; I reckon there's lots of little secret alleys that I haven't explored yet.

I'd say buy a keys; they're ace for the price. Funny I looked at the sample too and would have bought one in a flash but for the fact that (iirc) you can only load samples onto it from a computer, rather than say sticking a 1/8 jack in and taking stuff directly off a record player; that's kind of a deal-breaker for me because I like to only really use a computer for editing.

Edited by Leon Sumbitches

Things are getting out of hand  

image1.jpg

How do you like the MS-20? I'm thinking about getting one of those and/or the 0-coast. I'm enjoying my Microbrute (finally!) more than anything else right now and the MS-20 looks like even more monosynth (with audio input!) to love.

It's great! I thought I was gonna use it for bass related stuff but I've ended up using it a lot more for stabs and squiggly analog sounds. The Sub Phatty though... holy shit...

- Wee Volca Keys

I like the Keys but oddly I find myself using it less than I thought I would. I think this is partly because I haven't known it as long as, for instance, my pishy old Casio keyboard, which is like an old friend I can fire up and start making tunes with right away.

That said the Keys is great and I should probably make more use of it than I do. One thing I've found it's really good for is windswept, stormy kinds of sounds; playing with the time knob for the delay with the feedback up high can make really nice wind-sweeping-across-the-moors sounds; I find myself doing stuff like this more than the kind of standard acidy arpeggio stuff. Will post an example later on.

The Keys IMO responds well to slow, slow incremental knob movements, you can coax some nicely organic stuff out of it this way. That said, I still need to spend more time with it; I reckon there's lots of little secret alleys that I haven't explored yet.

I've got the keys and the bass as well (right under my monitor) and I rarely use them for anything except for live takes of me just fiddling around with them. But with that said they can make some pretty cool sounds. The keys is a bit of a one trick pony though.

Yeah I am actually most excited about the v-keys for the weird polyphony modes (unison, poly ring, etc.) - seems like it'd be cool for some weird modal percussion type sounds. Also that pitch envelope should be good for lopsided toms and kicks. Being able to be a nice little paraphonic pad box is a bonus.

And the MS-20 just seems like a fun semi-modular playground. Lots of facilities for drums and weird sounds too, and for processing external inputs through its filters.

Probably good for bass with the Microbrute right now.

love the volca keys! great for arps, pads, squiggles, bloops blops, leads with the right fx chain.

ms20mini is lovely too but behaves weird sometimes the envelopes a weird

Nice, that is good to hear because that is the kind of stuff I want to do with it.

What's weird about the envelopes?

love the volca keys! great for arps, pads, squiggles, bloops blops, leads with the right fx chain.

Nice, that is good to hear because that is the kind of stuff I want to do with it.

dunno just weird

dunno just weird

Yeah, and since the whole thing is analog your setting might change over time which is a fucking pain in the ass in case you need to go back and fix something that you just recorded.

Just received the Amphion monitors this morning. They already sound incredible right out of the box.

post-8398-0-55295900-1489665830_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nil

Yeah, and since the whole thing is analog your setting might change over time which is a fucking pain in the ass in case you need to go back and fix something that you just recorded.

I was thinking this would be more of a plus, like you just have to live with what you recorded and can't go back and fart around with it.

Would make it of limited use for gigs though.

I was thinking this would be more of a plus, like you just have to live with what you recorded and can't go back and fart around with it.

Would make it of limited use for gigs though.

True - but it can be annoying when you're a picky asshole like me ;) But you're right, it is a plus in most cases...