IGNORED

the campfire headphase

playbynumbers

farewell fire is just the most boring track to me, like BoC parodying themselves, i dunno ...

i'd say the best two tracks of the new era are 'slow this bird down' and 'left side drive,' which actually sound somewhat similar, now that i think about it. (also dayvan, i guess)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Enter a new display name
Yeah, I rarely have the urge to listen to it. Yeah, it's good, but is it anywhere near as good as their previous work? Not even close.

You've once told me it was one of the best albums of 2005. Your appreciation on releases is sometimes confusing, I must say. :confused:

I think people are a little bit disappointed by The Campfire Headphase because they compare it to their earlier releases. According to your tastes, you really like Folk music, OneCaseMan. Boards of Canada did impressed us for sure with their dark and experimental stuff on Music Has The Right To Children and Geogaddi, but I don't think we should compare their albums. The Campfire Headphase just completes their music mood. If I want to listen some Boards of Canada during a sunny day, I know I can select The Campfire Headphase. :boc:

Yeah, I rarely have the urge to listen to it. Yeah, it's good, but is it anywhere near as good as their previous work? Not even close.

You've once told me it was one of the best albums of 2005. Your appreciation on releases is sometimes confusing, I must say. :confused:

i told you this? what was your previous username? (the name change history isn't accessible anymore). TCH is still one of the best albums of 2005, without a doubt; i'd say in the top 10 or 15. but it's still much worse than their first two albums

edit: oh lol, you were talking to mr. onecaseman. i need food

The topic is Campfire Headphase: a year later, not my initial thoughts when it came out and I had only heard a handful of of 2005 releases. 2005 was a shit year for music anyway. It's still one of the best records I heard last year, but that isn't saying much.

I think people are a little bit disappointed by The Campfire Headphase because they compare it to their earlier releases.

Why shouldn't we? Should we not expect similar quality? The Campfire Headphase, beyond the tracks I mentioned, falls short of everything else in their discography, including their remixes and really early work (that's available). How does that not make it a disappointment?

According to your tastes, you really like Folk music, OneCaseMan.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

strange how everyone has different favs. to me, that's a sign of a good album.

ok computer is the prime example of this; everyone that i've talked to has a different favorite track

I think one of the main problems with this record though is that yeah, all the tracks sound good individually, but as an album, together, they sound too alike and make the album not as good. The other records had enough variety to avoid this.

yeah, i agree ... in the case of TCH, i'm not sure that it necessarily implies it's a great album. plus no one will ever convince me that '84 pontiac dream' and 'hey saturday sun' are great songs (whereas i can at least see the argument that 'let down' is the best track on ok computer)

Guest Cool-Boredom

it has its moments..i recently had an '84 Pontiac Dream obsession and listened to it 4 billion times a week.

this tune is seductive

Guest Archrival

the best thing about BOC is that all their albums are very different and seems to be for certain days and different moods..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I loved it so much for the first 6 months, but dunno if I've listened to it to much or what, but while I still like it a lot, it doesnt effect me like their other releases still do, aside from a few tracks

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

Macquarie is an island south of Australia, i wonder if it had anything to do with the title.

macquarie.jpg

Woah, i didn't notice there was a Macquarie RIDGE.

i found a mike oldfield lp called Hergest Ridge. besides sounding alot like a sandison's record, side b sounds, during a certain phase, not unlike the maquarie ridge track, by god. this must be something. probably boc realized it sounded like the oldfield stuff and called it that in a loose laugh and credit. anyway check that album out. also i found an lp sung by a chorus of quebecian teenagers with creepy synthesizers and wah guitars from 197? called "the magic ship". this looks like it was printed by a church or something, probably only a few thousand copies, but its super langley singers except way better. it is like the velvet underground meets the brady bunch singers meets the manson family singers meets boards of canada meets ginni clemmens. it was in a box in a salvation army and i bought it for 50 cents. its so sick. they have cranky monosynth lines and JCS rhythms doing a cover of harrison's "my sweet lord" (krishna ommitted).

Guest Raddcliff

album feels like a lot less sampling, a lot more of their own sounds. less vibe, blown out recording [maybe its getting to sketchy to sample].

a couple memorable tracks. a couple complete duds.

i like it. but it doesnt really strike any chords with me. on the other hand geogaddi is becoming more interesting.

[mhtrtc/iabpoitc seem to be the last two with that magical recording quality. geo 1/2 wway there and tch tchep both have blown out highs and what sound like competing freqs. LOVE left side drive...but some freqs just DAMAGE my ears]

Macquarie is an island south of Australia, i wonder if it had anything to do with the title.

macquarie.jpg

Woah, i didn't notice there was a Macquarie RIDGE.

i found a mike oldfield lp called Hergest Ridge. besides sounding alot like a sandison's record, side b sounds, during a certain phase, not unlike the maquarie ridge track, by god. this must be something. probably boc realized it sounded like the oldfield stuff and called it that in a loose laugh and credit. anyway check that album out. also i found an lp sung by a chorus of quebecian teenagers with creepy synthesizers and wah guitars from 197? called "the magic ship". this looks like it was printed by a church or something, probably only a few thousand copies, but its super langley singers except way better. it is like the velvet underground meets the brady bunch singers meets the manson family singers meets boards of canada meets ginni clemmens. it was in a box in a salvation army and i bought it for 50 cents. its so sick. they have cranky monosynth lines and JCS rhythms doing a cover of harrison's "my sweet lord" (krishna ommitted).

can you please rip this to flaC??

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
can you please rip this to flaC??

yeah i'm going to put this up on the web asap. i could not find any reference at all on the internet so its probably unhheard. yet it must. i'll alert everyone when i have it up. not really nerdinet so it might take a while. have to find a platform to upload files. first i have to rip it from vinyl. coming soon though.

• 7 years later...

Great, just another two (or three) years until something new comes out.

lol

anyway, I dragged this thread out of the watmmer abyss, because I wanted to know if it was just me who has a new found love for this album since the release of Tomorrows Harvest?

Chalk and cheese perhaps? But the TCH cheese seems much more tastier nowadays....

Archived