IGNORED

i care because you do

Fred McGriff

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mushroom

it was my first Aphex album, and indeed, my first electronic music album. It took a couple of listens, but eventually it pulled me into the inescapable groove of a single genre forever. I still like SAW85-92 the most, though. SAWII second. Then this one comes in third.

Guest mushroom

ICBYD has this brash, almost boastful attitude about it. I used to attribute this to the percussion, but I recognized that while the sound choice (as far as synths go) remained largely the same as his past stuff, the melodies seemed less like they were crafted by someone motivated by sheer emotion and more like someone making tracks and putting melodies there for the sake of their presence. Not that they aren't beautiful, but the focus seems to be less on individual elements and more upon all of those elements' coalescence. The stuff he did before ICBYD is the opposite, and IMO, a better sound resulted from the use of that theme. I think Autechre does the former better.

blarhalghgh

Guest Renivatio

Alberto Basalm and Acrid Avid Jam Shred are tracks I think that could have easily fit into his ambient works. I can't even stress how brilliant these tracks are. Oh yeah, and from the Donkey Rhubarb EP, Pancake Lizard, one of his best ever tracks.

blarhalghgh

I sure hope you haven't caught the 1337 bug from AlexPallas....I really hope not. :tongue:

but i dont get longing to transfer one song from a great release onto a different already great release. that's the beauty of aphex twin EPs, they're fucking awesome in their own right. pancake lizard is one of my fav. all time tracks and it is where it should be. everything is as it should be with aphex in that era. i mean the whole ventolin EP could be put on ICBYD too, but then we wouldnt have a ventolin EP

oh yeah i added all the ventolin tracks to my i care mp3 album they are great

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

yess! definitely one the best. it took its time, but it grew.

my first afx album was 26 mixes (rather terrible place to start), but there was a certain sound in some of those tracks which had me searching for his album with the closest sound. when i finally heard i care because you do. it was the good times.. : )

For me, Alberto Balsalm was the track that sealed it for me - I remember hearing that for the first time in the car in 1994, and just replaying it... and replaying it... and replaying it until I got to where I was going, and then had it stuck in my head.

One of, if not the best song Richard has ever made. If there ever was a "magnum opus", it would be ICBYD.

Yes I think it was easily one of his bests, and obviously his last serious pure hardware type album. You can picture him hoovering over knobs and pots and pans and scrubbing out electronic music with his hair dangling styles. When RDJ came out we then had to imagine him sitting there typing at a computer drinking a cup of coffee with "Worlds Best Mom" printed on the side beginning to fade as Squarepusher and Luke Vibert and Cylob were trying to use appletalk to steal aphex's OS8 sound programs.

I have to agree ieafs tho, Pancake Lizard should have been on this album!

For me, Alberto Balsalm was the track that sealed it for me - I remember hearing that for the first time in the car in 1994, and just replaying it... and replaying it... and replaying it until I got to where I was going, and then had it stuck in my head.

One of, if not the best song Richard has ever made. If there ever was a "magnum opus", it would be ICBYD.

But it wasn't released until 1995 :omg:

first track is the best, i think it feels a bit dated though... i compiled a list of essential albums and i debated this album for a long time. it's certainly not at the top of my list to buy on vinyl anyway

• 7 years later...

^yup, my fave on there too.

Also:

i remeber the day that album came out and laughing at my drug dealer who was seriously pissed off because he reckoned it was a massive rip off and a massive piss take and a massive fuck you to all aphex fans.

Sound familiar?

My favorite aphex release. I even like the title the most.

Acrid avid jam shred. It's amazing it starts with such an annoying sound, and morphs into something so gorgeous; who else could do such a thing? The melody at 3:45 is utterly beguiling, capturing so much nostalgia and beauty (again, it's fascinating to see how the track morphs to that melody, slowly masking that initial tone). The melody has many interesting elements, for instance the first note of the melody comes slightly early, so we hear it before the beat as the melody repeats. really amazing.

the waxen pith. really pleasant, simple and bucolic vibe after the sometimes strident preceding track.

wax the nip. This is one of my favorites. I can't ever put my finger on why, but the bit starting at 0:56 always sounds very futuristic too me... very interesting vibe in this track.

ventolin. this time the persistent noise is even more annoying =) . Really fascinating experiment by him. (I like the remixes more than the original.)

come on you slags. very eerie track; amazing how many different moods he's catching on one release.

wet tip hen ax. lots of really interesting textures here again; eerie synth work in the upper registers.

mookid + alberto balsalm. When the release came out, these were my two favorite tracks. I played them too much across the subsequent decade and now they are part of my bloodstream, I just kind of think "okay" when I hear them. very funny and unfortunate.

next heap with. I think this is a really nice close to the whole album. It is much less active than the other tracks (simple and repetitive), but very eerie and contemplative. Listening to the full album on a long walk, this comes in very nicely. Only specific thing I'll point to is the interesting use of held notes in the french horn synth melody; of course the other place in the album with crucial held notes is acrid avid jam shred....

That's a lot of blabbing but it's really intense to listen to something for 20 years and keep uncovering more and more love for it....

come on you slags, lets have some afex acid!

whos Roy from cow cud is a twin? i noticed that :squarepusher_logo: also mentionds Roy on music is rotted one note, dont remember where exactly. i swear i heard that sample in some other music aswell. alberto is timeless.

any1 tried ventolin? my heart beated like crazy noise in ears and i swear ill never do that shit again. syrop i mean

Archived