IGNORED

silent bits

Guest ezkerraldean

Guest ezkerraldean

there's three autechre tracks with a few seconds of silence at the start. for some reason i had the idea of amplifying them in audacity to see if there was actually anything there. there is. try it!

Gantz Graf: the silent bit is exactly the same as the first few bars of the actual track

Xylin Room: 12 seconds of this white noise-ish thingy slowly getting louder. totally different to the actual track

LCC: 12 seconds again, a few pulses of a metallic drone type noise, fade in and out. totally different to actual track again

wow, that was fun. aren't i sad.

Guest Enter a new display name
I noticed this already :mellow:

Their 3 last albums all had silent starts: VI Scose Poise, Xylin Room and LCC.

Funny, one of the bands i play in had a similiar quiet bit at the start of one of their demos so as to make the listener turn right up for when the actual track kicked in. Maybe ae have a similiar idea in mind?

My favorite instance of this is still the first Sugarcubes album. Einer Orn or however you spell it going on about teaching someone to play the harmonica, you turn it up just to hear what he's saying and then the music goes "BOOM."

• 5 years later...
Guest rd1994

sorry to bump this thread but the claim that the sounds don't have anything to do with the tracks
the static in xylin room weaves in and out with the beat as the song progresses
and the bit in LCC is similar...the sounds reappear throughout the song

sorry to bump this thread but the claim that the sounds don't have anything to do with the tracks

the static in xylin room weaves in and out with the beat as the song progresses

and the bit in LCC is similar...the sounds reappear throughout the song

I think the message is there: listen closely and loud, like we fucked around tiny shit for ages and nobody gonna notice? nah, chap

You couldn't hear it? On the beginning of LCC is a little metallic sounding melodic phrase.

there's three autechre tracks with a few seconds of silence at the start. for some reason i had the idea of amplifying them in audacity to see if there was actually anything there. there is. try it!

Gantz Graf: the silent bit is exactly the same as the first few bars of the actual track

Xylin Room: 12 seconds of this white noise-ish thingy slowly getting louder. totally different to the actual track

LCC: 12 seconds again, a few pulses of a metallic drone type noise, fade in and out. totally different to actual track again

wow, that was fun. aren't i sad.

I think the message is there: listen closely and loud, like we fucked around tiny shit for ages and nobody gonna notice? nah, chap

Here it is rawly amplified and compiled. Took mp3's so quality isn't puristic. Oversteps one is very similar to Confield, it's just really deep fade in, so i took the very beginning.

[sc5]101984909%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-82lmC[/sc5]

LP5 -- Gantz Graf -- Draft 7.30 -- Untilted -- Oversteps -- Exai

Guest rd1994

Here it is rawly amplified and compiled. Took mp3's so quality isn't puristic. Oversteps one is very similar to Confield, it's just really deep fade in, so i took the very beginning.

nice nice

but where is the confield one? didn't include it because it was/is boring?

did something similar for that rare tracks comp taht I made A thread for

nice nice

but where is the confield one? didn't include it because it was/is boring?

did something similar for that rare tracks comp taht I made A thread for

Well, Chiastic Slide and Confield don't have that drastic difference in volumes at the start and are easily hearable, and i compromised on LP5 largely for the dramatic effect.

There is something at the beginning of Confield one that i'm not sure of, but it's too paranoid even for me, Gantz Graf's total silence at least has rather logical trick, even of a fuck you kind.

How about the Overstepping "r ess"?

Also, it's not only the album intros but the endings too. LP5 is one example, Exai, Peel Session's 'Drane' etc. So there's sometimes this tendency for a record to start and finish a bit later than expected.

Guest rd1994

Anti EP has it too
it kinda bugs me...where you know...you heard nothing (mainly because of the volume...and then BAM you noticed the song still whent on)

Guest dylanmcknd

Anti EP has it too

it kinda bugs me...where you know...you heard nothing (mainly because of the volume...and then BAM you noticed the song still whent on)

Another thing like this that comes to mind is Farewell Fire (BOC)

If you crank up the volume all the way you realize that it plays throughout the track.

The one from Xylin Room is awesome, I'd never heard it quite like that. The others I'd listened to somewhat...the Acroyear2's intro doesn't seem too necessary because it's mostly audible, despite being relatively quiet. The others are very very low in the volume range. VI Scose Poise's intro is unexpected at that volume. Ace thread though, I'm sure there are other bits that need this treatment....

The one from Xylin Room is awesome, I'd never heard it quite like that. The others I'd listened to somewhat...the Acroyear2's intro doesn't seem too necessary because it's mostly audible, despite being relatively quiet. The others are very very low in the volume range. VI Scose Poise's intro is unexpected at that volume. Ace thread though, I'm sure there are other bits that need this treatment....

They seem to be concerned with the idea of pseudo-silence, good example outside of intros is Reniform Puls off Draft 7.30. In the end of the track it fades out for 2 minutes repeating the same pattern into microbes society. Same for LCC ending. You'd think it's silent outro and it's not for whatever reasons.

There are lots of nice little details at the beginning and ending of tracks for those who are doing some deep listening on headphones in a dark room.

A personal fave of mine is the end of Augmatic Disport, which fades out to what sounds like a lo-fi recording of somebody tapping the rhythm out on a table with their hand.

• 2 weeks later...

The Gantz Graf silence is not on the single CD release to hear. Later it appeared to me first time on the Warp20 comp so I thought it may be an mastering fault.

• 7 months later...

A personal fave of mine is the end of Augmatic Disport, which fades out to what sounds like a lo-fi recording of somebody tapping the rhythm out on a table with their hand.

I got a letter from Soundcloud that they put down my cut because of spotting blatant Acroyear2's use, so i re-made it and inserted a couple of new tails including Augmatic Disport's and it turned out to be a recording of something else, of a more mechanic source. Hear at 1:11

[sc5]139731239%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-liNLZ[/sc5]

Archived