IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

The Monk - Matthew G. Lewis

Great book, one of my favourites.

Yes! I'm really liking it. Really dark and gothic, and gloomy atmosphere.

I just read about this. sounds intriguing.

I have to say every time, house of leaves is incredibly good. Avoid synopsis or reviews , just read the best horror ever.. it's so subtle and a brilliant premise.

But avoid all spoilers!

Under the dome was good as well

FTFY

I have to say every time, house of leaves is incredibly good. Avoid synopsis or reviews , just read the best horror ever.. it's so subtle and a brilliant premise.

But avoid all spoilers!

Under the dome was good as well

FTFY

spoiler alert

• 2 weeks later...

James Patterson - 9th Judgement.

Just randomly bought it to try out a thriller while on holiday and it was pretty good. There's 13 in the series. Pretty odd starting at 9 but I've ordered the first couple and will start from the start.

Michel Houellebecq - The Map and the Territory

This is great, I love Houellebecq's stuff, especially The Possibility of an Island.

I've just read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand and now I'm reading several Philip K. Dick short story collections. And Herodotus' Histories (in English translation :P).

Just finished the Hobbit for the first time: I liked it a lot. It was full off adventure, character growth and wonderful sceneries. Will probably start reading Lord of the Rings pretty soon here after: last time I read it, I was 15 or something, and I read it in dutch. Will be an entire different experience reading it in English and at 28!

Currently reading some essays on what encompasses the dutch identity, bundled together in a book. I fetched it from my parents book shelf. It's (quite) an interesting read so far. Started somewhere in the middle. Current topic: "De Grenzen van Gezelligheid" which translates to "The borders of "gezelligheid"". "Gezelligheid" is a dutch term to describe a social feel of cohesiveness, intimacy, mutual care, the ability to enjoy eachothers company by offering each other the space to do whatever wants, and a lot more than these recent descriptions. It could be translated to "cozy" in english (though coziness is an aspect of it; doesn't embody the whole) or "gemütlich" in German (if any of you speak that). You kinda get the idea.

Just read Burmese Days by Orwell - his first.

Great forest larks with enough existential crisis and drama to ruin an empire.

10 notches above CWLP

The Dialectical Imagination- Martin Jay

#$@&! The Official Lloyd Llewellyn Collection- Daniel Clowes

33 1/3 SAW Pt. II- Mark Weidenbaum

Recently finished Milligan/Allred's X-Statix Omnibus. Pretty entertaining read.

Guest Roksen Creek

invisible-cities.jpg

Great book. Have you read "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler..."? One of my all-time favourites.

Calvino was a genius.

Great book. Have you read "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler..."? One of my all-time favourites.

Calvino was a genius.

I have not. This is indeed a beautiful book, I guess I'll move on to that one next

I loved that one!

I'm reading "Raisons pratiques" by Pierre Bourdieu and am looking forward to a bunch of Henri Lefebvre stuff I'm going to borrow from my girlfriend.

I'm due for a refresher on both of them

Guest Radioactive Mind

I've got Drugs and the Mind by Robert DeRopp, biochemist. This book's from 1957 but doesn't have any Reefer Madness style vibes to it because the author really looks at things from a professional, acedemic standpoint, but still uses this prose that makes the book a joy to read.

Like:

Now to add further to the addict's miseries his bowels begin to act with fantastic violence: great waves of contraction pass over the walls of the stomach, causing explosive vomiting, the vomit being frequently stained with blood. So extreme are the contractions of the intestines that the surface of the abdomen appears corrugated and knotted as if a tangle of snakes were fighting beneath the skin.

The entire book is replete with such rhetoric that I find appealing, and I feel that many contemporary works are incomplete not being presented in such a fanciful way.