IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

I'm reading a history book for children.

any chance it's the Gombrich book?

Yes.

nice one!

yeah! At first I thought it was another history book. But then I realized it was for children and I said "oh noes, but well I'll learn something :^)" And yes! I love children/juvenile books. Really, why over complicate things in an adult way? :)

Finished Walking in the Shade by Lessing, very entertaining, with many depressing indications that things haven't really changed in fifty years, and probably never will.

Uncovering the Missing Secrets of Magnetism

Really? Well, I hope you enjoy it...I had heard this is a polarising book

It looks like your standard quack physics, i.e. about as polarising among physicists as intelligent design is among evolutionary biologists. Or do you just mean it's polarising amongst the quacks themselves? ha. Also, what's with the hilariously awful formatting?

I'm just finishing a regular physics book, The Particle at the end of the Universe, a history of the LHC and reasonable overview of QFT and the standard model. Pretty good, if lacking in detail when it came to detectors and other technical aspects of the experiment itself (would've liked some info on the setup of their distributed computing setup in particular).

I decided to set Blood Meridian down as I don't feel I'm quite ready for it right now. Went Edgar Allan Poe's short stories, just read The Fall of the House of Usher. Twisted.

Blood Meridian is just massively overrated; you're doing it right.

I decided to set Blood Meridian down as I don't feel I'm quite ready for it right now. Went Edgar Allan Poe's short stories, just read The Fall of the House of Usher. Twisted.

Blood Meridian is just massively overrated; you're doing it right.
The book was incredible from what I had read. Tough to read though. It isn't my first McCarthy book so I'm in on his style but it's a tricky book.

McCarthy's alright, really. Blood Meridian for me just sort of stakes out its claim and proceeds to stay there forever, past the point of being admirable or effective. I probably liked it better than I remember liking it.

Unrelated: I think I'm going to start Bleeding Edge in a few.

Anyway.

I have a dream wherein an aged, incontinent, half-naked, but preternaturally jovial Pynchon defecates into McCarthy's lifeless and open maw. Pynchon grins. He is dancing, dancing, and he doesn't seem to strain. He says he will never stop in all the world's turning as he extrudes something darkened by melena, redolent of copper. It hangs tense, pendant for just a moment but threatening like a great onyx phallus backlit by an exploding sun, and it drops between the desiccated lips. The child watches, because he's still there, remember him, the child, but his eyes do not see the searing orb, only the long shadows cast by Pynchon as he writhes and hops and squats, as if dark shells descended from hat brim to limit the child's gaze. Oh, sez Pynchon. Hey. Fuck of with that Qlippoth shit for a sec? Hey, this one's a doozy. The child turns his eyes instead to the fetid golgotha of smoldering infants. Ahhhhnnnnngh, sez Pynchon.

True story.

edit: or better yet here's that old zaphod quote from 2012

i might teach him as an example of a stylist you should not emulate. for example, here's cormac writing about a guy sneezing: "he expelled the putrid galimaufry of all his old selves, like some elder god creating in his image that which he cannot identify but can only destroy, within the phlegm the child the father of the man."

Edited by baph

Gödel, Escher Bach - 50 pages in, 700 to go, and if the first 50 pages are representative of the whole book, this is going to be one of those books you have to read with pen and pencil besides you

It is. There's a section in the middle where he goes pretty far into the TNT stuff. Helped me to actually write and transcribe some of it.

Just finished Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland....good, quick novel. First book of his I've read.

This is where the book lost me and I had to put it down. Never did finish it, maybe I'll give it another go some time.

Currently reading Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay, a Canadian writers one book fantasy epic. Pretty decent so far. I prefer concise fantasy over 8-book ongoing sagasl

BLf3a5M.png

this woman used to be on the silk road forums, usually trying to earn the trust of vendors for "research she was doing on a book". that's this book. now she's on the hub sourcing another juicy story.

so far there's nothing new here besides putting everything in chronological order with (almost) all the characters. one main problem (so far) is ormsby wrote this too early and thus doesn't know some of the juicy details such as who tony76 was, the hacker scamming DPR etc. still, makes for a good bedtime story

Read the review for that over at the Guardian website, sounds like a real gimmicky author. The review mentioned it's apparently going to be 27 volumes?! Well, I hope it's better than it sounds.

^Extremely gimmicky

I don't doubt such approaches can be interesting and involving, but I am old fashioned with my novels and prefer the words and their meanings to be the only tricks, not experiments in typography. I hear Infinite Jest by D.F. Wallace does similar things, a book I do want to read eventually, so who knows whether I'll enjoy that approach or find it aggrieving, merely getting in the way of enjoyable, organic prose.

Also, if that's the case, then it might not be a good book to read on the kindla--all those footnotes are bound to get fucked up by the digital format--which means I'll have to get a bulky physical copy. *gulp*

Img-2-CBIJ.jpg

Edited by Bechuga