IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

I would have loved it if i read it at 10+.. but i was a bit like that.

It really shows how to craft a good story out of a simple idea..? and also the fact that king never knows his endings is quite poignant.

its well brutal though!

The Old Man and the Sea is such a beautiful story, I read it in one sitting today.

Novellas are great. I'm reading A Clockwork Orange next, then a reread of The Slow Regard of Silent Things. Then probably Of Mice and Men. My bookshelf is full of unread novellas.

Read The Passage based off of someone's suggestion here a few pages back. It was okay, but I felt cheated: the first 'part' of the book is great, moving, interesting, weird, and sets up what you think will be a payoff...the rest of the book, really, the bulk of it, is essentially a trumped-up YA romp of coming-of-age/post-apocalyptic boredom. Ultimately a 'meh' for me, seriously doubt I'll read the rest of the series.

Just started House of Leaves after it's been gathering dust on a bookshelf for 2 years. Just about on the third chapter of The Navidson Record and it's interesting, and I know it's just going to get more-so. This is my first trek into Danielewski-land, so I'm not 100% sure what to expect.

Just started House of Leaves after it's been gathering dust on a bookshelf for 2 years. Just about on the third chapter of The Navidson Record and it's interesting, and I know it's just going to get more-so. This is my first trek into Danielewski-land, so I'm not 100% sure what to expect.

One of my favourite books ever written. reminds me i need 'pass go, do not read synopsis or reviews' with his other book(s) and just buy them.

Funny enough it was probably me that recommended the passage.. i enjoyed it. the only bit that i didnt enjoy was the

train part.

After i finished the second part of the southern reach trilogy ive got either murakami (never read - wind up bird chronicles first?) or Bukowski (post office?) recommended to me.

Making a concerted effort to finish The Difference Engine, took a really long break after picking it up in March.

Also have been borrowing The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs from a coworker from an embarrassingly long time, really need to plow through that after I finish this and give the poor guy his book back.

On yet another note, anyone here read Asimov´s Foundation series in its entirety? Almost through the first book but not really feeling it.

I read all 7 books when I was 14 or so and I remember loving them, although I also remember them having a slow start. I also remember the 2 prequels being pretty shitty Indiana Jones-esque adventure books, but I might be wrong

I read the first and was moderately intrigued, started the 2nd a few years ago in the middle of moving house and I lost it in the process. I think I found it again a while back but I don't remember where I was in the book.

Just started the first Southern Reach book. Reminds me a bit of The Crystal World by JG Ballard and/or At The Mountains of Madness by Lovecraft. Very pleased so far.

im on the 2nd. it gets report-ish, and i like it so far :)

read the long walk. great book

Glad you liked it, finally finished the Bachman books a few days ago and they were all fantastic. Road Work made me really sad, particularly the part where he was shouting at the hitchhiker chick about how pointless it all is, King was definitely in a dark place then. I had to clear my head with something fun after so read Sexcastle, it's as ridiculous as the title.

CKtON5fXAAADtMs.jpg

One of my favourite books ever written. reminds me i need 'pass go, do not read synopsis or reviews' with his other book(s) and just buy them.

Funny enough it was probably me that recommended the passage.. i enjoyed it. the only bit that i didnt enjoy was the

train part.

After i finished the second part of the southern reach trilogy ive got either murakami (never read - wind up bird chronicles first?) or Bukowski (post office?) recommended to me.

Enjoying Danielewski so far, but I know the shit hasn't entirely hit the fan yet. Only a couple dozen pages into The Navidson Record thus far...

The Passage just started out so good, I was mostly taken aback at the abrupt change. It felt a bit of a cheat to me, just the difference in time, tone, everything. It wasn't bad enough for me to put down, but I just think what Cronin is going for just isn't up my alley. The train part was a bit cheap, but I would suggest a few other parts were just as bad...but I'm not going to nitpick. Overall not a bad book, just not for me.

The end of Authority made me want to read Acceptance immediately! Not sure I could willingly move on to something else; really, much of the end of Authority was simply lead up to Acceptance, at least in my recollection.

still reading authority... got stuck in it a bit, had to read the long walk, and now im back on it but not in much of a reading mood. i go through phases of heavy reading then not much

Finished Mason & Dixon. Such a sad ending, but good book overall. Glad to be finished though, finally! Think I've read enough Pynchon for one year.

Now to start on Umbrella by Will Self. That's easy, light reading, right?

House of Leaves is an amazing book, one of my favs. Not an easy read by any means, but quite worth it. Just take your time with it, the length and challenge of it's structure pays off.

I've been meaning to give Only Revolutions, a read for quite some time. His short story The Fifty Year Sword is pretty well done, the artwork incorporated into the book is pretty fantastic.

House of Leaves is an amazing book, one of my favs. Not an easy read by any means, but quite worth it. Just take your time with it, the length and challenge of it's structure pays off.

I've been meaning to give Only Revolutions, a read for quite some time. His short story The Fifty Year Sword is pretty well done, the artwork incorporated into the book is pretty fantastic.

I really tried with Only Revolutions but I am definitely too dumb for it, shame as I loved House of Leaves but hopefully I'll have more luck with The Fifty Year Sword. Annoyingly my bedroom is just a mass of books and I can't find it.

I went to an antiquariat in Heidelberg yesterday and purchased an old book about Buddhist art in China. The only problem is that my German is pretty awful so I can barely make any sense out of it.

Columbine by David Cullen

A really rigorous look at the shooting, the piss poor media coverage of it and the lasting impact of both on the community. Quality stuff.

I went to a bookstore in Liverpool today and got a book of myths from around the world and one about Indian music. These I can actually read, so they've been keeping me entertained.

Unfortunately it isn't a very in-depth collection of tales. It just gives an overview of certain characters or concepts from legends and theologies from around the world (with an odd bias toward Indian theology).

I also saw another book yesterday of a Medieval Welsh legend, but I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to fit it in my luggage (and it was also rather expensive), so I had to reluctantly pass on it.

I don't imagine there are many writers on a music forum. Anyway, I just finished my first fiction novel.

You can pre-order it here if you're interested.

Apologies for the shameless plug.

I don't imagine there are many writers on a music forum. Anyway, I just finished my first fiction novel.

You can pre-order it here if you're interested.

Apologies for the shameless plug.

There's a WATMM writers thread

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/86949-watmm-writers-thread/

Decided to read the Song of Ice and Fire books.

If the show is moreish like crack is moreish, the books are chocolate-covered crack. Finished the 1st one in under a week, on the 2nd one now.