IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Guest bitroast

gaiman is wicked. real sucker for the sandman and alot of his comics.

american gods i thought was great. bit slow and boring to boot but really sinks into something pretty interesting with nice bit of meat to chew on and mull over. having said that, the writing is gaiman through and through ... so if you don't like gaiman, probably not gonna like american gods.

still on berserk.

this manga.

i know it's a japanese manga but holy shit. it is just .. soooo japanese.

i'll be reading it and at times have to stop and :psyduck: at how it's written. it makes me feel a little derpy trying to stay on its level.

having said that.. it's still totally addicting and i keep finishing a book and wanting to read more.

it's like eating m+m's for dinner. totally stupid and unsubstantial but i'm still enjoying it :^)

Edited by bitroast

i'll be reading it and at times have to stop and :psyduck: at how it's written. it makes me feel a little derpy trying to stay on its level.

what do you mean by this?

i can hardly read that cover, it's such a friggin mess lol. Hogg by samuel delaney?

haha! yes, the cover is a mess, but it kinda compliments the story. there were some more minimal covers but i know that one is the original one.

anyone read it?

still on berserk.

this manga.

It is called Berserk...I mean, what kind of person names an infant Guts?

Guest bitroast

hmm. ok. apologies for being vague and probably being offensive with the vague " it's very japanese " description.

but holy shit, the story and writing gets so rape-y. and the overall story is just largely a dumb fun story about a big strong hero with a big sword killing bad guys. so when you have this dumb fun story + a whole lot of thrown in rape undertones/rape plotpoints... it just feels kind of dumb and derpy. it makes me feel like a dumb teenager in high school reading this.

to go into more detail ...

book 6. *spoilers* !!! (lol)

book 6 has this plot part where Guts and his mercenary crew go off to fight a big battle. in the merc group there's also this tough all attitude chick fighting with them. one of the big bad guys with big sword confronts her and starts down talking to her like like " WHO DO U THINK U ARE, FIGHTING IN A MANS WAR" kind of thing. starts getting rape-y undertone-y.

then guts comes along, the 'only in it for himself' badass lone hero. kills the enemy and rescues the chick. but they end up falling off a cliff and it's just the two of them alone together. she's all passed out and guts is looking after her. pretty much outright says " well fuck .. its not like i can't not rape her " so he starts tearing off her clothes and strips her naked. then realises she's bleeding and has a moment of clarity and stops himself. good work, hero!!!

later, she wakes up and starts telling him her backstory. the backstory, again, revolves all around her being raped and mid-rape being saved by this angelic-esque figure good guy. and that's why she looks up to the merc leader so much. this back story is being told all while she's still naked and wearing nothing but a thing blanket and still has the odd shot of boob peeping through and looking all sexy like.

it's just ... :psyduck: wtf. this^ is what i mean by japanese and derpy. i just .... don't know how else to put it. i guess 'rape-y' is the other description.

Gaiman is a tedious, tedious man. Are there talking cats in that one?

There's cat whose behaviour is remarked upon a few times but I don't think it talks. There's one in Coraline.

AG has a talking raven though! Fantasy!!

^What's keeping you into the series? Something that extreme (read the spoiler) would turn me off anything.

Edited by Caribou

Guest bitroast

its cheaper for me to buy these books online than via comic store, so i already have the next one in mail. ((again, facepalm @ me))

i dunno, i kind of feel like i may have reached my end point though with berserk. i was giving it the benefit of the doubt for a bit but i dont think its much my jam.

hmm. ok. apologies for being vague and probably being offensive with the vague " it's very japanese " description.

I now realize my reply seems pretty defensive, but it's not like that at all... I have my own gripes about japanese writing and was just wondering if they are the same as yours thats all. What I thought you meant by that was the unsufferable amount of hand holding and Christopher Nolan-ish out-loud repetition of plot keypoints by characters, at least in the few manga I've read. "Do you mean the situation just got more dangerous because of this thing that just happened??" "Yes Kikomoricho-san what happened in the previous page is of utmost importance" jesus christ I get it

but I see you meant it in a very different way

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

Guest bitroast

all good bruu.

having said all that ... the main reason i started reading and enjoying berserk in the first place was the art, and the artwork is consistently 'god damnit yes!! look at that' level goodness. so i'm not all hating it. i'm just having.. issues !!! with it. is all. not one to recommend to my socially aware fwends :^)

EHRMT_web.jpg

just ordered, very excited, looks like a comprehensive insiders guide to the english industrial underground,

Coil, Current 93, NWW, T.G./Psychic TV, and the like.

I've read other things about industrial culture, this guy David Keenen is from The Wire Magazine,

always on point.

Edited by Astro Tarot

Not heard of Hogg but I rate Delany a lot after reading The Star Pit. Real mind=blown story. I also have Dhlagren by him which is meant to be the sci-fi Ulysses but I've not read it yet.

Still reading Shardik atm. It's good but for some reason it's taking me ages to get through. Odd mix of mysticism and fantasy world politics which remind me Song of Ice & Fire a bit.

Also, despite my gigantic To Read pile lining the stairway of my flat, I made some new purchases on payday: Cathedral by Raymond Carver, An Anthropologist on Mars by Oliver Sacks and Pynchon's V.

Guest bitroast

Also, despite my gigantic To Read pile lining the stairway of my flat, I made some new purchases on payday

spiral knows how to roll 8^)

Finished both Brief History of Seven Killings and Do Not Harm in the last two days. Brilliant reads! One dedicated to murders, the other one to keeping people alive. A nice contrast.

Next up: The Sisters Brothers by Patrick Dewitt on my kindle and The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton in hardcover. Should be fun!

Also, in a week or so I will be waiting around in my empty flat for delivery people / electric people to turn up. I will take the time stuck waiting to begin on Against the Day by Pynchon. Wish me luck. :catsalute:

• 2 weeks later...

On the Road's pretty tedious at times. I thought it made its point very early on in the book and proceeded to say it again and again in different ways. It doesn't get any better to be honest.

I've just started Frankenstein. Most of the shock factor is probably going to be gone, though all the retellings of this story I've encountered over the years have dealt solely with the monster's awakening. I don't have a clue what happens before and after, so I'm basically going into it blind. And I can't believe that some people still refer to the monster as Frankenstein, I mean for fuck's sake.

Edited by Caribou

On the Road's pretty tedious at times. I thought it made its point very early on in the book and proceeded to say it again and again in different ways. It doesn't get any better to be honest.

I've just started Frankenstein. Most of the shock factor is probably going to be gone, though all the retellings of this story I've encountered over the years have dealt solely with the monster's awakening. I don't have a clue what happens before and after, so I'm basically going into it blind. And I can't believe that some people still refer to the monster as Frankenstein, I mean for fuck's sake.

Cd3IZ3PUEAA46v9.jpg

Sisters Brothers - Pretty good, although it feels somewhat skeletal. But what was there was enjoyable enough.

The Rehearsal - an interesting confusing story like something Satoshi Kon would do. I think Eleanor Catton is a future great novelist and I look forward to more books from her.

Now starting: Freedom by Jonathan Franzen and finishing Briefing For a Descent Into Hell by Doris Lessing, after getting near the end and my kindle then dying.

almost done reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons. just finished the detectives chapter and holy-moley i feel like an idiot for leaving this on the shelf for so many years. anybody here read The Terror? any other simmons recommendations?

half-way thru Norman Mailer's "Ancient Evenings" and trying to restart Alan Moore's "Voice of the Fire"

love the former but got interrupted by real life bs & the latter is superb for mindfucking brevity

The las of the hippies a hysterical romance, by crass artist Penny Rimbaud.

Heartbreaking! crazy how fucked up the story is and how little has changed since 1982

was OG part of Christ the album, it's just a fucking tragic book, so sad.

anarchy and peace