IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Been occasionally reading through Ligotti's Songs of a Dead Dreamer & Grimscribe combo via Kindle for the past 6 months, but have made barely a dent (haven't been in a reading mood at all until quite recently)...though I just bought and started John Langan's The Fisherman, which seems like it should be a solid/easy enough read to get me back in the groove of reading fiction.

I work in a bookshop and had been planning for a couple of weeks to order in The Fisherman when I got paid, then the day before I went in a charity shop and found a mint copy of it for 3 quid, it was insane.

Not read it yet.

That cheap second hand already? It just came out like, not even 6 months ago I think? Serendipity though.

It was so odd, I thought I could only get it by ordering it from a US book supplier. I'd lived in the area a month so it was my first time in the shop and it was face out on a shelf or I probably wouldn't have seen it.

Mona Lisa Overdrive was a lot better than Count Zero in the end, but still not perfect, spent a lot of time dealing with bullshit and then totally rushed the ending.

Currently reading Time's Arrow by Martin Amis, was worried it was going to be a bit gimmicky (the story is entirely told in reverse (from the main character's death to his birth), and reverse as in watching a video in reverse, with the narrator even having to translate the backwards speech noises which takes him a while to figure out how to understand at first, and getting used to sucking shit into his ass and regurgitating food and reforming it into packets to return to the supermarket), but it's holding up so far, and it's a pretty short book so should be fine.

Time's Arrow is fucking lush

The Magus by John Fowles

A bit Tales of the Unexpected, but its does the psychological reeling in of one of the main characters immensely. Is it madness or magic or both?

Mint/10

sweet m8, that one has been on my to-read shelf for a while now

pt5oz8u.jpg

about 200 pages into Mason & Dixon. I keep putting off reading unfortunately. Might be one of those Pynchons I enjoy more the 2nd time round. That was true of Lot49 and Vineland.

Edited by hello spiral

Finished Biomega... Great series, though I didn't enjoy it as much as Blame!... I'm still going to have to get Abara and Knights of Sidonia soon...

But I went back to Saul Teukolsky's 'Black Holes, White Dwarfs and Neutron Stars-the physics of compact objects' - I've been trying to make my way through it for the last month. Gonna try to get to the end before I pick up any more manga. =o/

I decided forgo Gravity's Rainbow for now and am currently making my way through Marc Van de Mieroop's A History of the Ancient Near East

It's actually pretty interesting so far. Afterwards I'll probably try to finally finish Ulysses & then tackle Gravity's Rainbow if school doesn't get in the way of that.

Reading -

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Smith

The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson

On deck -

Transmigration of Bodies by Yuri Herrera

Sudden Death by Álvaro Enrigue

Reading -

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Smith

The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson

On deck -

Transmigration of Bodies by Yuri Herrera

Sudden Death by Álvaro Enrigue

are you reading 3 books at the same time? I can't do that... I've thought about it sometimes but I just can't cycle between books unless it's non-fiction. It just feels wrong to be invested in 2 different stories at the same time for some reason.

Reading -Song of Solomon by Toni MorrisonHis Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae SmithThe Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth DickinsonOn deck -Transmigration of Bodies by Yuri HerreraSudden Death by Álvaro Enrigue

are you reading 3 books at the same time? I can't do that... I've thought about it sometimes but I just can't cycle between books unless it's non-fiction. It just feels wrong to be invested in 2 different stories at the same time for some reason.

Yeah I'm usually reading a couple of novels and 2-3 nonfiction things at a time. I guess I do it to keep myself from wasting too much time online, or watching shows I only kind of half-way care about on Netflix. If I come across something particularly gripping, the other books tends to go on the back burner though.

Edited by doublename

It's funny cuz he was reenacting a scene from a Don Delillo (DFW's fav author) novel.

I mean, does that novel also contain a scene with a professor sleeping with and stalking his students, or pushing an ex- out of a moving car?

I bet it's all just scenes from his favorite books, and he was perfectly moral and rational, and it's all just performance art.

It's funny cuz he was reenacting a scene from a Don Delillo (DFW's fav author) novel.

I mean, does that novel also contain a scene with a professor sleeping with and stalking his students, or pushing an ex- out of a moving car?

I bet it's all just scenes from his favorite books, and he was perfectly moral and rational, and it's all just performance art.

I wasn't making excuses for him. I'd like to think he wasn't even conscious of it, like a person who who looks back at a piece his writing (or music) only to realize it's all something he'd read or heard somewhere else years ago (shout out to Ian McEwan).

david-foster-wallace-o.gif

edit: and don't forget that most of his non-fiction was made up, that's pretty important

Edited by Bechuga

david-foster-wallace-o.gif

edit: and don't forget that most of his non-fiction was made up, that's pretty important

Well good thing we didn't learn these things from his non-fiction, then!

Doublename: sorry mate I literally have autism

Edited by LimpyLoo