IGNORED

Pure Data

Guest TooMuchLush

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a ton of experience with it, But I pick at it occasionally. A friend of mine is into the pdvst function, which he has shared with me for the project we are working on. Makes PD extremely useful, especially if you use a vst compatible interface for song construction or whatever.

i say if you are going to use pd you should probably get max/msp month trial to learn how the program flow works and go on from there.

max is way more user friendly and has a lot of documentation. it will show you the method in which you put together stuff. once you run out of the month of maxmsp you can move onto pd with a better understanding.

btw in this case

most definately do all tutorials!!

Say I have a linux machine.

Say I have a choice between learning chuck, pd, or supercollider

Say I have plenty of programming experience so learning to code some stuff in a new language isn't a daunting idea at all.

Does anyone have a recommendation between these three?

tftt: pd isn't really a programming experience, it's connecting-the-boxes type of interface. but very soon you find yourself using your programming experience to make it do what you want, since the built-in elements are very low-level. i like it, spent many hours playing with it, never made/finished anything serious with it though.

supercollider is programmer's heaven, that is, OOP-programmer's heaven. it is very similar to smalltalk and c++, syntax wise (if you are one of those anti-OOP purists it'll frustrate the fuck out of you).

you really need OOP experience because the documentation is meager (it spans about 3000 pages, covering only a few percentages of the language). you'll have to snoop around in class definitions and source code. basically it is a lot of low-level effort, blood sweat & tears, plus weeks of code-monging, BUT:

it is the most powerful synthesis package you'll come across

supercollider is programmer's heaven, that is, OOP-programmer's heaven. it is very similar to smalltalk and c++, syntax wise (if you are one of those anti-OOP purists it'll frustrate the fuck out of you).

you really need OOP experience because the documentation is meager (it spans about 3000 pages, covering only a few percentages of the language). you'll have to snoop around in class definitions and source code. basically it is a lot of low-level effort, blood sweat & tears, plus weeks of code-monging, BUT:

it is the most powerful synthesis package you'll come across

that sounds like something i'd really like

Guest Wall Bird

So, I've been learning CSound for a few weeks now and I'm just curious, for someone with the knowledge and experience, how does it compare to Super Collider? Ideally I'd like to learn both, but if there is a huge advantage to one over the other perhaps I might drop one and learn the other exclusively.

the SC unix version is pretty mature, the windows version not so much. andLinux looks like a pretty good solution for ppl without macs.

i've uploaded a SC patch i've been working on HERE. in this patch i have used a couple of GUI widgets that are poorly documented, so maybe you'll find it useful. the sequencers are sort of buggy tho.

orleab5.png

So, I've been learning CSound for a few weeks now and I'm just curious, for someone with the knowledge and experience, how does it compare to Super Collider? Ideally I'd like to learn both, but if there is a huge advantage to one over the other perhaps I might drop one and learn the other exclusively.

the key difference is that CSound is not really suited for real time use. at least not as much as SC is.

CSound has the advantage that it is much more mature and there are all sorts of nice front-ends like Cecilia.

CSound is documented way better than SC.

SC syntax is very different, and arguably much clearer and more intuitive.

SC community is much more active and the amount of user-made ugen's is rapidly approaching the amount of user-made opcodes. overall, SC's development is going faster than CSound's.

CSound is much better for FFT-based techniques, phase vocoding etc, although SC's FFT is improving quickly.

For anyone interested in Supercollider but using a Windows PC and not OSX or Linux/Unix, there is a free Linux kernel that runs as a Windows service called andLinux that you can run it under!

For the use sc in Windows XP, should i download the KDE version of andLinux?

Thanks

Guest tv_party

latest windows version of SC ran only a few times, now it hangs.

server comes up, and the post window does, but no code window.

forum support is weak for SC and I couldn't even sign up for one.

I was advised to use the mailing list.

Do you get an email every time someone posts to the mailing list, or is it a once daily or whatever complied thing?

I don't want to get 30 emails a day.

Anyway I've been messing with pure data. I like it so far and I think the documentation is pretty good.

Guest tv_party
tv party, try the andLinux link posted above to run a Linux Kernel inside your windows PC and then run SC for linux in there, it's much more stable

Thanks I'm trying that. Can't seem to set up a Samba shared folder in andLinux.

I don't understand how it knows where the folder is without a path, unless it needs to be located in the shared documents folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents , which I already tried.

followed these instructions up to the point of the share folder and it just keeps saying "there is no shared folder with the specified share name" no matter what I try.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:WBw8t...;cd=2&gl=us

Are you running this?

Guest hahathhat

please remove the phrase "rocking it" from your vocabulary

there is a TGI Friday's commercial with an announcer who sounds like a total smug douchebag demanding "GIVE ME MORE CHOICES. GIVE ME SMALLER PORTIONS AND PRICES SO I CAN ROCK IT ANY DAY OF THE WEEK"

i never liked the phrase to begin with but when i heard that commercial i knew it was totally over

so please let it go

• 3 years later...

How would you compare something like Native Instruments Reaktor to pd/maxmsp? Does it make sense to learn Reaktor or should I directly learn something more "open" and "complex" (?) like pd/maxmsp?

How would you compare something like Native Instruments Reaktor to pd/maxmsp? Does it make sense to learn Reaktor or should I directly learn something more "open" and "complex" (?) like pd/maxmsp?

it depends on what your goals are. If you want to build your own delays, filters or synths i would say stick with Reaktor. If you want to build something that doesnt exist yet like a spectral inverter filter or something abstract PD/max is the way to go

Archived