IGNORED

Plaid Live + Broadcasts + Interviews

Guest CATS

sorry about that.. thought it was a fresh one.

yeah, seen the Ed & Andy after show interview.. always interested to hear what they have to say.

think this is the 20 min video you're talking about mate..

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/video-archive/lectures/ed_handley__dancegate_crasher/comments/109

Guest ruiagnelo

sorry about that.. thought it was a fresh one.

yeah, seen the Ed & Andy after show interview.. always interested to hear what they have to say.

think this is the 20 min video you're talking about mate..

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/video-archive/lectures/ed_handley__dancegate_crasher/comments/109

Exactly! Thanks mate. I will take the opportunity to see it once more.

Guest ruiagnelo

nice :)

Did you know where this was recorded? There are plenty of videos of the same type from many artists here..

Guest sirch

and London 1999 was if i remember right, 27th March 1999.

[/quote.]

was that the gig at the Eve Club? in Regent Street?

if so, that was in August. i know because i went. :)

Guest ruiagnelo

[/quote.]

You were actually there?

Guest sirch

Yes mate. this was way back before they started using laptops for their live sets. was a wicked gig. no sign of Ed, tho? maybe he was on the floor lol. . but i remember Andy rocking it, doing his live mixing, i think, and their JP-8000 blinking in the background.... was a very cool gig :) nice club aswell. at least it used to be. this was just after Rest Proof Clockwork had come out that summer, '99 :)

Did you know where this was recorded? There are plenty of videos of the same type from many artists here..

there are lots of interviews including Carl Craig, Dego(4hero), Robert Moog plus many more at the lectures section of the site.

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/video-archive/lectures/

Guest ruiagnelo

there are lots of interviews including Carl Craig, Dego(4hero), Robert Moog plus many more at the lectures section of the site.

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/video-archive/lectures/

Yea, i started browsing and there TONS!

Mike Paradinas, Warp's Steve Beckett, Tom Middleton and Mark Pritchard, so many!

hours of goodness mate :)

ahhhh yes, the Steve Beckett interview.. that's one of my favourites.

talks about the history of Warp records and how the Warp shop in Sheffield started as a indie record store.

very interesting.

Guest ruiagnelo

hours of goodness mate :)

ahhhh yes, the Steve Beckett interview.. that's one of my favourites.

talks about the history of Warp records and how the Warp shop in Sheffield started as a indie record store.

very interesting.

I am watching the Mike Paradinas one. Steve Beckett will be next. Will watch Mark Pritchard too, i hope he talks about Global Communication, but i doubt. Tom Middleton one isn't loading. There must be some problem.

Watched the Mark Pritchard interview, not much about Global Communication, but it's a good listen all the same.

gotta shoot...

gotta see that Steve Beckett interview. didn't know about that one. cheers!

Hi Sirch, pleasure mate.. glad to add something worth watching.

gonna have to watch the Steve Beckett one again myself.

keep checking back at the site if an interview doesn't work.. i waited months for the Ed Handley one to become available.

noticed a guy called gerald has been added recently too..

hope he talks about the manc 808 state days and his visit to detroit and transmat.

Guest ruiagnelo

keep checking back at the site if an interview doesn't work.. i waited months for the Ed Handley one to become available.

hope he talks about the manc 808 state days and his visit to detroit and transmat.

Oh, didn't a guy called gerald. Gotta see that one too.

Did you know 808 state are making a return soon? I read on the web somewhere about a tour and possible new album!

Guest sirch

[/quote.]

You were actually there?

I just realised i got this completely wrong! it was in September, or October,

because Richard James was talking to us about his birthday, which had been in August that year.

i got confused, sorry. funny how the memory can play tricks like that! :)

Guest sirch

Hi Magdog, i watched the Steve Beckett one earlier. it's really interesting, but he seemed a bit nervous.

he kept having to clear his throat and drink water, which is what i do when nervous and having to talk, so can empathise.

he seemed to get a bit bored at towards the end and went off for a piss. prolly all that water he was drinking!

didn't take any questions from the audience really which was a bit shit. i get the impression he's a bit of a shrewd business man.

not just because he didn't take questions, but just listen to him lol..

just watched the A Guy Called Gerald interview... it's totally fascinating from beginning to end.

he starts by taking you on a short history tour through the electronic music dance scene in manchester starting with the early dub sound of the late 70's into the jazz funk sound of the early 80's then the hacienda days including his work with 808 state and the influence of chicago house and detroit techno. it's all in there along with a more deeper conversation about his work on drum&bass toward the end of the video. love it when he plays the sh-101 and later on a demo using reason - check the track at 01:46.00.. top tune !

yeah.. not sure how old this interview is but Gerald does talk about him and Graham Massey working together and playing some live gigs... great news !

sorry for going off topic, but, this is excellent Gerald info :)

Edited by magdog

Hi Magdog, i watched the Steve Beckett one earlier. it's really interesting, but he seemed a bit nervous.

he kept having to clear his throat and drink water, which is what i do when nervous and having to talk, so can empathise.

he seemed to get a bit bored at towards the end and went off for a piss. prolly all that water he was drinking!

didn't take any questions from the audience really which was a bit shit. i get the impression he's a bit of a shrewd business man.

will have to watch the Steve Beckett interview again tomorrow.. no time tonight, the Gerald one lasted for over two hours !

umm, can't remember him acting nervous or taking a piss. i know personally i'd be shitting myself if i had to give a lecture, well to start with anyway then hopefully relax and just talk about the things i know about :)

Guest sirch

will have to watch the Steve Beckett interview again tomorrow.. no time tonight, the Gerald one lasted for over two hours !

umm, can't remember him acting nervous or taking a piss. i know personally i'd be shitting myself if i had to give a lecture, well to start with anyway then hopefully relax and just talk about the things i know about :)

maybe he went for a fag then..... :)

was still a good watch anyway.

funny the bit where he talks about when ppl first told him about the internet, and he was interested in selling records on it, but he imagined you wearing virtual reality suits and being able to have sex with ppl on the other side of the world (kinda true now lol), but he was really dissapointed because all it was back then (after 10hrs of trying to get on) was a newsgroup with a bunch of geeks talking about " a fucking black dog 12" ". LOL

just listened to the Steve Beckett interview again.. enjoyed it.

there wasn't an audience questions time (like many other of the interviews) but i thought he communicated well with them. myself, i'm not to bothered about audience questions as most are rubbish anyway :)

yeah, the part were he talks about this thing called the internet that took 10hrs to get on and him wearing a virtual reality suit having virtual sex around the world only to find himself miserable watching a fucking newsgroup talking about a black dog 12-inch for two hours. hahaha... nothing new there then :) also the part about the 'shot gun blow back' at warps northern parties.. those were the days hay !

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno if these have already been posted up somewhere on the forum.. anyway, enjoy :)

Xtacid Report: BANGFACE WEEKENDER 2010

Guest sirch

thanks for posting these mate. not seen before. pretty good quality too.

see... the second 2 tracks i think will deffo be on Scintilli.. they get played a lot :)

yeah, the second and third tracks have a very good chance of making it to Scintilli.. lets hope :)

first track is sounding different and more melloooow.. quite nice.

another vid posted by the same guy... i think the first track sounds fookin proppa.

Plaid live at Stekkerfest Utrecht

Recently dug this Plaid interview out of an old draw.. haven't seen/read it anywhere on the net so i transcribed it for the board. enjoy!

Plaid - Magic Feet Interview, mf022 (06/1999)

Ed Maclean looks back at the past, present and the future of PLAID, and talks to Andy about their new album.

> Plaid produce some of the most colourful and melodic electronic music available today. Whether it's your cup of tea or not, it can't be denied that they are one of the few electronic music acts with their own truly distinctive and individual style. Their new album, released this month once again demonstrates their unique mastery of melody and emotion, and perhaps set to elevate their status even further. But to judge an act like Plaid on their latest production is to take them out of context, as anyone who has followed their career over the past decade will know, they have pedigree most producers would kill for.

Everyone's familiar with the name The Black Dog, Ed & Andy's first project along with Ken Downey, started around the turn of this decade. Like Plaid, the cornerstone of their music was innovation and, for it's time, The Black Dog's music was seriously innovative. Housemaster General, a producer and occasional DJ of the late '80s/early '90s told of first coming across Black Dog material and making a decision to play it out to a garage and house crowd. It was met with complete puzzlement, and not surprisingly so: the arrangement was completely alien to a club crowd, the sounds were a medley of soft and sharp, smooth and rough, and the vibe was utterly new. Wayne Archbold, head of GPR label who first signed the band, told of their unconventional ways of working. Having invested money in the band he was keen to see them at work, but when he arrived at the studio Ed, Andy & Ken were not happy with Wayne, a classically trained pianist watching over them. It was only after some time that he discovered that their beautiful sound was at the time, and for that one track at least, being constructed from one finger jabs and hand presses on the keyboard. The genius was not in any kind of classical training and laborious musical theory, but exactly the opposite - The Black Dog, were completely free spirits, driven by spontaneity and imagination. The album they were making at the time, 'Temple Of Transparent Balls', was an enormous success and is still considered by electronic producers worldwide as a milestone in the genre. As the band continued, cracks began to show and soon after the bands departure to Warp, midway through recording, the band decided to split. Ken took with him The Black Dog name and allegedly, most of the equipment, while Ed & Andy became Plaid, Ed and Andy's first 'Not For Three's' album, a melodic beauty, showed, thankfully, that they still had plenty of musical mileage in them. "After the split we felt liberated, really. There was a certain level of freedom, or a perceived level of musical freedom, which we hadn't felt before. I think on 'Not For Threes' we probably went in too many directions at once, kind of a reaction to the situation we were in, the new freedom."

Part of this new freedom saw Ed & Andy working with collaborators, most notably Bjork. Were Plaid on the edge of more mainstream success? Surely, with Orbital's Insides flying the flag for melodic electronic music, now was the time? But although they can boast a sizeable following Plaid have never broken into the mainstream, however, as Andy points out, it was never something they were trying to do: "We've never made music to entertain or educate other people. I suppose our motives for making music are entirely selfish. We enjoy making the music we do, and if anyone else finds it enjoyable or entertaining as well, then that's great!"

As you might have guessed, following 'the scene' is not really Plaid's game, and as far as modern day influences are concerned, Andy has few. "I don't know very much about the music that's around at the moment. I haven't really bought any records for two or three years now. There was a time when i'd be in the record shop every other day and i was really on top of what was coming out, but now i tend not to listen to music. After a day in the studio my ears get tired. I prefer to listen to Talk Radio or watch the news. We're not really attached to any scene at all. There was a kind of network of clubs that grew up in London around the time of The Black Dog, which everyone used to go to, but we're not part of it now. We've got to know some of the Warp artists, but it's not like we all hang out around each other's houses or anything."

Andy's down-to-earth attitude seems refreshing compared to those banded about in many musical circles, where the social scene has become more important than the music and the feeding off of each other's ideas has led to a stagnant cycle of substandard releases. Perhaps the one single element that separates Plaid from the other is the use of melody. "It's true we're mostly melodically driven, it's how we start off a track. We put down a melodic line, and some sounds and build it up around that. Sometimes we'll get a new bank of sounds for the sampler and it will start that way, but melody is the basis of our work. As far as equipment is concerned, we keep things relatively simple. When The Black Dog split, Ed and i had very little equipment so we learned how to make music without a huge arsenal of synths. What we try to convey in the music is emotion, not messages as such. There are some things, some feelings, that you can only convey with music."

Anyone who closely followed The Black Dog may have heard of or seen some of the animations they were involved in. So why haven't we seen this for Plaid? "Unfortunately it's simply a matter of money at the moment. Plaid really just doesn't have the money, although animation and visual aspect is definitely a good thing and something that we would like to get into more."

So does Andy believe there will come a time when music is simply one element of an encapsulating multi-media experience, an ingredient of an entertainment virtual reality? "No. There will always be a demand for pure music. There are times when need you other senses."

One visual aspect Plaid have been involved in was supporting Orbital on their recent UK tour. "It was incredible," (enthuses Andy). "The sound system was really excellent, it was just great to hear the music over such a loud and clear system. We were playing very early on in the night, but it seemed to go down very well."

Touring has also taken them further afield, to the states, where, with enthusiasm for electronic music still fresh, the last album is rumoured to have done particularly well. "We've played San Francisco and New York a couple of times, both of which were really excellent. We're both really hoping that when 'Rest Proof Clockwork' is released over there it does well, so we can get to see more of the states".

As the release of the new album looms nearer i ask Andy what he see as Plaid's finest moment so far? "I don't really see any particular moment, because moments don't last, they come and go, and memories are short. I think you always remember the latest good thing. We are really pleased with 'Rest Proof Clockwork'. On 'Not For Threes' we went in so many different directions, and i think with 'Rest Proof Clockwork' we're going more where we want to. I listened to it just a couple of months ago, and i'm still very pleased with it. I think 'Rest Proof Clockwork' is our finest moment".

For now at least, EM 'Rest Proof Clockwork' is out in June on Warp.

*CLOCKWATCHING