IGNORED

melbourne watmmers thread—current news: new monthly IDM night starting soon

modey

Guest analogue wings
Hi,I'm from Melbourne aswell. Hi modey!!

I've looked every where for details about Autechre, but i can't find anything.

And Google is...was like a crystal ball to me.

autechre tour is still a seclet. if my source founds out i blabbed it all over wattums i am sofukkindead

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey computer! maan we really should organise some kind of watmmeetupp, there are a lot of us here!

perhaps upstairs at the corner hotel one night, or somewhere in the city, or east brunswick club!

yes this sound good. perhaps the next time Qua plays (whenever that is) ? or maybe one of those off beat or stutter nights at the horse bazaar. btw any good gigs on in the city this month? im aware of the krush, mr oizo and !!! scenes at P0W but meh.....

qua plays!?

i've only recently been getting into him and would love to see him play!

yeah he's been playing a fair number of gigs recently. saw him support mum in march and high pass filter/one watt sun earlier this month. new material too! i think there's a full length due sometime this year.

http://www.r-n-d.net/index.php?id=249

^here's a 2006 live recording if you wanna try. very different from his sets nowadays though

qua plays!?

i've only recently been getting into him and would love to see him play!

yeah, i saw him support pivot earlier this year, the gig was great!

I used to live in Melbourne Florida for a year.

I was 7 years old, it was hot, everyone around me was a moron, and our tap water was brown.

hey tftt, i did say melbourne in australia, i understand you might not get it, but yeah this thread is to herd melbourne people together, not sarcastic americans who come in and give their two cents just to increase post count. have a nice day!

edit: also, a friend of mine djs at mother's milk on chapel st on tuesday nights, i'm gonna head down there next week if anyone wants to join me, i'll be the guy in the black autechre shirt.

• 1 month later...
Guest bitroast
hey computer! maan we really should organise some kind of watmmeetupp, there are a lot of us here!

perhaps upstairs at the corner hotel one night, or somewhere in the city, or east brunswick club!

yes this sound good. perhaps the next time Qua plays (whenever that is) ?

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/8136533.gif

me and some mates are going ^^

and maybs modey?

yes this sound good. perhaps the next time Qua plays (whenever that is) ?

and maybs modey?

yeah i will try to get along to this, hopefully i'll have time, since i'm in the process of moving house!

the best music to ever come out of australia is

http://www.discogs.com/label/Bloody+Fist+Records

bloody fist+associates got really boring really quickly for me, i went to a few warehouse parties in sydney and that was enough really. most of the artists on bloody fist, system corrupt, kws etc are 'one hit wonder' types - i got sick of hearing "cheapwhine" or "cocksucker" by nasenbluten or "no try" by epsilon every time i went out to one of those parties.

Guest Betty

and maybs modey?

Hey, I'm in Melbourne.

It's really odd that you would post about that gig because a couple of friends and I went to Pony two weeks ago and really liked it so we were going to go again this Friday. Also I really like Qua but have never seen him live and have been wanting to yet I had no idea he would actually be playing there on Friday. So I will be there and would have been there anyway but wouldn't have known you guys were there! :dizzy:

P.S. Modey, you've chatted with me in the WATMM chat room a couple of times, I was/am loonybin. Sorry I never managed to get to any of your gigs but hopefully I'll meet you and I'll see you play some time in the future.

and maybs modey?

Hey, I'm in Melbourne.

It's really odd that you would post about that gig because a couple of friends and I went to Pony two weeks ago and really liked it so we were going to go again this Friday. Also I really like Qua but have never seen him live and have been wanting to yet I had no idea he would actually be playing there on Friday. So I will be there and would have been there anyway but wouldn't have known you guys were there! :dizzy:

P.S. Modey, you've chatted with me in the WATMM chat room a couple of times, I was/am loonybin. Sorry I never managed to get to any of your gigs but hopefully I'll meet you and I'll see you play some time in the future.

awesome.. well i should be there in my usual autechre shirt heheh. watmm meetup woo! maybe we should all exchange mobile numbers via pm or something.

and yes, i'm playing a gig on the 15th of august actually, at glitch bar - 318 st georges rd, north fitzroy. it'll be a solo guitar set but i'll have a bunch of effects to make it sound all reverby. heheh.

Guest Betty

Solo set @ Glitch Bar? Nice one! That place is cool (yeah beat that Americans and Europeans, we've got a venue called the Glitch bar! The only way you could top that would be have like The electronic music Pub or something.)

I'll PM you my mobile number.

Guest bitroast

awesome! my friend will supposedely be wearing an aphex shirt, if that makes things easier..

should be mad meeting some WATMM peeps :)

i'll also try to make the solo set at the glitch bar next month, if i'm free at the time.

Guest Betty

For those who didn't quite follow what was going on. A few of us are having a meet up tomorrow night at this gig:

8136533.gif

If you turn up and don't know who is who, try approaching someone wearing an electronic music t-shirt and utter a WATMM catchphrase. I can't see how anything could possibly go wrong doing that. :laughing:

Hope to see you there!

Guest bitroast

i just cant imagine introducting myself as "pigster, with the m*a*s*h pic".

any other melbourne people able to come tomorrow night? never seen qua live, but im hanging out for a good time.

Guest Betty
i'll be there guise. anyone wanna catch up tomorrow evening before gig for a couple of beers?

Can't we do that at Pony before the gig starts?

i'll be there guise. anyone wanna catch up tomorrow evening before gig for a couple of beers?

Can't we do that at Pony before the gig starts?

heh yeah good point. do you know what time it starts?

Guest Betty

Found this info on www.pony.net.au

QUA

AOI

HOPE DIAMOND

Melbourne-based electronic genius Qua will play a very special show at Pony this Friday 25 July, supported by locals Aoi and Hope Diamond. Incidentally, this show will be held on the anniversary of Qua's first gig ever (which just so happened to be at Pony also) - which makes this show a very special 8th birthday party. Qua is able to craft joyful sonic vistas of gorgeous experimental constructions that simultaneously tug melancholically on the heartstrings whilst sending appreciative shivers through the brain. Foregetabout folktronica, kiddietronica, or even pigeonholetronica as Qua is operating in his own league. This is Quatronica. In fact aspects of it don't even sound all that electronic, drawing upon elements of world music, folk, and even rock in this incredible fusion.

9.30pm

...and for those who arrived late...

at 2.00am..... free entry: TOMAS FORD (WA)

After thrilling and assaulting crowds around the country, Tomás Ford returns to Melbourne in July. Ford starts his shows tweaking electro beats behind a fortress of milk crates and gadgetry. By the end he’s launched himself all over the room, changed costumes, pulled an arsenal of jazz dance moves and invaded the personal space of everyone present. “Half the fun of my show is watching the reactions of everyone else,” explains Ford. “The other half is when I focus on you.” His one-man electro spectacle has been called “edgy, dark and unsettling, and one hell of an experience“ (dB Magazine, Adelaide) and “pure entertainment” (Drum Media, Perth) that “puts other electro acts to shame” (Drum Media Perth).

...and for non-stop dancemania

3.00am free entry

DJ ROSIE ROSE

... rockin' til 7am!

So if Qua starts at 9:30 we could meet at say 8:00?

Guest Betty

Also from the Pony site, half of these band names made me LOL:

upcoming shows to get excited about …

thurs 31 july: leisure class, the psuche ensemble, seagull

fri 1 august: fuck it i quit, face eater, mindset, chicks dig scars

fri 1 august late: hutt river solution

sat 2 august: bring on the junta (farewell show), ahkmed, ancient man

sat 2 august late: the orphans

thurs 7 august: fourth floor collapse, autumn grey, grizzly jim laurie

fri 8 august: blarke bayer; marco fusinato; lakes; j.k. fuller; fuck, the retarded girl

fri 8 august late: the ripping dylans (syd)

sat 9 august: the omen, a red dawn (sa), the betrayed, union buries it’s own

sat 9 august late: breathing shrine (rob & bonnie of grey daturas)

thurs 14 august: hold your fire, backyard surgeons, lostboyfound, liberation front

fri 15 august: the brutals, the rocketsmiths (bris) + guests

fri 15 august- late: the crumbum people

sat 16 august: ouch! my face!, damn terran, dreaming of ghosts, dead before death gang

sat 16 august late: army ant (syd)

thurs 21 august: uncomfort: cambion, xian, guts, zoo transmissions, dj misconception

fri 22 august: worms of the earth, grenadiers, delta reds, bowcaster

fri 22 august late: super wild horses

sat 23 august: mother & father (ep launch), group seizure, padmore adams, dirty cosby

sat 23 august late: kids from zoo

fri 29 august: bakelite age, smurfinger, slazenger, the beat disease

fri 29 august late: sin city

sat 30 august: radiant city, sleep makes waves, alaska ratio

sat 30 august - late: heat like me (nz)

heheh.

yeah 8pm sounds great. tomas ford's 2am show will be great too - though i'm not sure if i'll be staying for that, heh.

Archived