IGNORED

Kalpol Introl Appreciation Thread

SR4

lets go way way back to 93...i think this was the first Autechre song I heard that I truely loved....really haunting strings, that semi-303 bass or whatever that is....just a great lead in to an album and what got me to realize Autechre is capable of haunting beautiful shite. I also love the transition into Bike by using that Semi-truck horn or whatever that sound effect is.

finally this topic arrives. by far one of the pinnacles of electronic music, not to mention an essential first song on one of warp's foundational albums.

also, being a personal darren aronofsky fan, the song is perfect in the movie Pi, for which if you are an autechre fan - you will appreciate the movie.

B000023XBZ.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40892381_.jpg

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

they used to play a 15 minutes version in their livesets, they are both stunning tunes

and yes, Kalpol introl suits perfectly in Pi

Guest Enter a new display name
also, being a personal darren aronofsky fan, the song is perfect in the movie Pi, for which if you are an autechre fan - you will appreciate the movie.

I adore Requiem For A Dream and The Fountain, but I never had the opportunity to watch Pi... :(

any idea where I could hear the 15 minute live version? i drool at the thought of it.

the only recording available (afaik) is their liveset at oscilate

they used to play a 15 minutes version in their livesets, they are both stunning tunes

and yes, Kalpol introl suits perfectly in Pi

you obviously haven't seen pi.

:angry:

• 6 years later...

I listened to Kalpol Intro the other day and was struck that it really really really sounds like Bola. Everything about it from the stringy pads, the harmonic progressive to the percussive effects to the angularity. It sounds so much like Bola that I actually started wondering if it really is by Bola and it somehow got mislabled at Warp thus resulting in it getting compiled as an Ae track for Incunabula.

funny, i got into Bola when someone played me 'Magnasushi' and i found i had it mislabelled as one of the rare/one off Ae tracks i'd hastily plundered long ago.

Fyuti is an incredible album that i rate as highly as Squarepusher and mid-90s Autechre. his career is like a user-friendly take on the hardcore Ae aesthetic, as if they carried on from LP5 with their Tri Rep beats and Amber melodies.

sure, all that Confield/Draft innovation is the true hallmark of Ae, but damn do i love a good Bola session once in a while.

I listened to Kalpol Intro the other day and was struck that it really really really sounds like Bola. Everything about it from the stringy pads, the harmonic progressive to the percussive effects to the angularity. It sounds so much like Bola that I actually started wondering if it really is by Bola and it somehow got mislabled at Warp thus resulting in it getting compiled as an Ae track for Incunabula.

Darrell was one of the original members of Gescom, and if I remember correctly he is credited as teaching Sean and Robb how to play synths. Definitely Bola finger prints on Kalpol to my ears.

For the ultimate Bola/Autechre fusion, check out the Gescom track G1:

Archived