IGNORED

PEN EXPERS

Dragon

OK, before I begin, yes, I bought Confield and, yes, it has been lying around for a while.

I was listening to music, as per usual, with the Shuffle switched on. And all of a sudden, Pen Expers hit be at full blast. I was suddenly thrown into a world of percussion, like the Richard D. James album, but with even less consideration to the listener.

I kept listening, if not out of curiosity, to Pen Expers. And then the melody started kicking in, a sonic blast of melody that you could only see for a millisecond at a time.

And, as it progressed, I was perfectly still. Pen Expers. It was like seeing a bright light shine through a huge grid of iron, comprising every piece of music ever written. A thousand thoughts at once flicker in your mind. A thousand colors can be imagined, a thousand smells can be imagined, a thousand milliseconds would occur.

Pen Expers is being on a roller coaster that travells through space, flickering past every kind of metallic object before seeing the bright, beautiful stars slowsly flicker into place.

Pen Expers is seeing everything in space, for what is it. Seeing a constellation, then a satellite. A million robots, then an alien landscape. A big bastard of a meteor exploding in your face, then a millisecond-long first aid at some kind of alien planet.

Pen Expers is the very idea that an MP3, 7:10 in length, could be perfect. Pen Expers is a piece of history, telling you that, even though modern music is mostly shit, someone will make a perfect piece of music, and sell it, no matter how horrible it initially sounds.

Pen Expers is absoloutely, mind-bendingly, ear-poppingly fucking AMAZING.

That is all.

I've always heard the whole light coming out of a box or a wall thing too, or like light breaking through a cloud. It's due to the compression affect which makes the melody sound like it's breaking through the percussion BECAUSE THE PERCUSSION HAS

GAIN

AND THE MELODY BREAKS THE FUCK THROUGH,

I MEAN THE GOD DAMN

Edited by The Pod

Guest acridavid
Pen Expers is the very idea that an MP3, 7:10 in length, could be perfect.

Imagine what this track does to you in a lossless format then omg :O

Anyway yea, I was amazed by Confield again today as well. Cfern has some a ma zing rythmical stuff.

I've always heard the whole light coming out of a box or a wall thing too, or like light breaking through a cloud. It's due to the compression affect which makes the melody sound like it's breaking through the percussion BECAUSE THE PERCUSSION HAS

GAIN

AND THE MELODY BREAKS THE FUCK THROUGH,

I MEAN THE GOD DAMN

I always get this weird image in my head, it's hard to describe, but basically if I was making a music vid for it it'd be all sorta top down, the camera constantly panning upwards (sorta like an old shooter game). And the land scape is a weird mix of yellow brick and sewing machine-like devices, blades and needles moving about almost like insect legs. As the melody breaks through, the bricks and machines start to break away, like beams of light shoot through them, and the more melody comes in the more beams of light comes though, until the path is just crumbling and only a few fragments remain, and underneath is a pink cloudy sky.

I remember the first time I heard that song... it's one of those perfect musical moments that I feel like I'll never experience anything like ever again.

So, does this mean I finally get Confield, as it were?

Pen Expers is the very idea that an MP3, 7:10 in length, could be perfect.

Imagine what this track does to you in a lossless format then omg :O

Anyway yea, I was amazed by Confield again today as well. Cfern has some a ma zing rythmical stuff.

I will upload it in 320, and listen to that, from now on :angry:

Guest babyhands
it's funny that this album used to sound like noise to me and now if it comes on i'm like : "is this ep7?" or something obviously less complicated...

Yeah the first time I heard Confield I was totally like WTF is this random noise?!?!?! It took awhile for me to really appreciate and understand it. It's definitely a very creative album. Difficult to believe it was created by mere humans.

I love how the melody breaks through all the noise in Pen Expers. Makes my hair stand up every time.

I can totally relate to you guys about the transformation of this album. How this went from a serious chore to sit through one track to one of my favorite albums of all time is beyond me, but now when people say it just sounds like random noise I feel bad because they don't know what they are missing.

Pen expers is an extreme version of a very common theme in electronic music -- having a slow reflective melody play over top of an abrasive rhythm section. This can be seen in Vordhosbn by aphex twin, the siege of antioch by Paradinas, tundra 4 by squarepusher, ect ect.

But something about Pen expers makes it so unique. Maybe it is the simplicity of the 6 bar chord progression (which is all the melody is, actually), maybe it is complexity of the drums. It's probably a mixture. Everything just werks perfectly. It throws this wild frenzy of a drum beat at you, and then offers you a distanced perspective to look at it from. This is the pinnacle of reflection expressed with sound.

Edit: fixt theme (I spelled it 'them' before)

Edited by Root5

Guest Wall Bird
I will upload it in 320, and listen to that, from now on :angry:

320 is still not lossless. Dont cheat yourself.

Edited by Wall Bird

Pen expers is an extreme version of a very common theme in electronic music -- having a slow reflective melody play over top of an abrasive rhythm section. This can be seen in Vordhosbn by aphex twin, the siege of antioch by Paradinas, tundra 4 by squarepusher, ect ect.

But something about Pen expers makes it so unique. Maybe it is the simplicity of the 6 bar chord progression (which is all the melody is, actually), maybe it is complexity of the drums. It's probably a mixture. Everything just werks perfectly. It throws this wild frenzy of a drum beat at you, and then offers you a distanced perspective to look at it from. This is the pinnacle of reflection expressed with sound.

I've always thought AE were the masters of this concept, Rae, Cichli, Pir, Dropp etc

I've always thought AE were the masters of this concept, Rae, Cichli, Pir, Dropp etc

LCC...

OK, before I begin, yes, I bought Confield and, yes, it has been lying around for a while.

I was listening to music, as per usual, with the Shuffle switched on. And all of a sudden, Pen Expers hit be at full blast. I was suddenly thrown into a world of percussion, like the Richard D. James album, but with even less consideration to the listener.

I kept listening, if not out of curiosity, to Pen Expers. And then the melody started kicking in, a sonic blast of melody that you could only see for a millisecond at a time.

And, as it progressed, I was perfectly still. Pen Expers. It was like seeing a bright light shine through a huge grid of iron, comprising every piece of music ever written. A thousand thoughts at once flicker in your mind. A thousand colors can be imagined, a thousand smells can be imagined, a thousand milliseconds would occur.

Pen Expers is being on a roller coaster that travells through space, flickering past every kind of metallic object before seeing the bright, beautiful stars slowsly flicker into place.

Pen Expers is seeing everything in space, for what is it. Seeing a constellation, then a satellite. A million robots, then an alien landscape. A big bastard of a meteor exploding in your face, then a millisecond-long first aid at some kind of alien planet.

Pen Expers is the very idea that an MP3, 7:10 in length, could be perfect. Pen Expers is a piece of history, telling you that, even though modern music is mostly shit, someone will make a perfect piece of music, and sell it, no matter how horrible it initially sounds.

Pen Expers is absoloutely, mind-bendingly, ear-poppingly fucking AMAZING.

That is all.

Great fucking post!

Downloading Confield from Bleep now (yeah I've only got about half of Autchre's albums, please don't judge me too harshly. :unhappy: )

Guest Rogueofmv

Pen Expers.

Fuck yes.

-This message brought to you by donations from the Foundation Against the Disruption of Cheese Making and the International Association of Autechre Fans, Limited.

Pen Expers is the best track Autechre have ever done. I get totally lost in it, an absolutely amazing piece of work. I love the beat part at exactly 4:18, I don't know why I just do.

And yeah that melody is fucking stunning!!!

Vordhosbn and Tundra 4 have a similar effect on me too.

Edited by Pirtek

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sir Winston

Easily my fave track off Confield and very possibly my fave by Autechre of all. Glad I am not the only one to gradually get into it rather than love it straight away, albums are always much better when you love it more and more over time.

• 2 weeks later...

This track is awesome. An utterly disgusting and overpowering beat that's flogged and mashed by a few different kind of effects. It sounds like complete destruction until the melody comes in (to me), but when the both of them are fighting each other it's like a battle of pleasant and distant vs SHIT BLOWING UP IN YOUR FACE! Could be my favorite AE track.

Also, my xbox live tag is PenExpurrs, so yeah. I like the song.