IGNORED

black metal

Guest Z_B_Z

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And ps, no one said you had to take music seriously and most of the time when you do you're a dick.

but i like taking music seriously. it enhances my enjoyment of it, plus it makes things more interesting

on another note

lol

Xasthur, Immortal, Blut Aus Nord, Beatrik, Sterbend, Weakling, Wolves in the Throne Room, Moevot, Marblebog, Alcest, Triste, Vlad Tepes, Belketre, Mutiilation, Forest of Fog, Deathspell Omega, Negura Bunget, Celestia, Fen, ...and Oceans, Woods of Ypres

Fuck it, there's so much good stuff to listen to, but don't listen to Carpathian Forest, they're just not good.

Guest tv_party

some good musical ideas destroyed by bad production, inexcusable really fuck intent I mean striborg could have really appealed to me if it wasn't for the total shit prod

All the old demos and first releases by burzum, darkthrone, immortal and mayhem are very good. Much of it did however become shit after a while, mostly mayhem and immortal. Black metal was very serious in Norway, back in the early 90's the news were always covering "the satanic movement" and various church-burnings.

My dad used to be a fireman and I remember one Saturday night when we were having a nice dinner and he was called to put out a fire in our local church and he went "damn satanists", epic moment.

ive been doing some reading on burzum, and the more i read, the less i like this guy. yeah, you dont have to like someone in order to enjoy their music, but wow is this guy a massive twat. his views on race are truly nauseating and hes in prison for murder and arson. i sampled some of the synthesizer albums he did in prison, and from what ive heard it all sounds really cheesy. whats the appeal with this guy?

ive been doing some reading on burzum, and the more i read, the less i like this guy. yeah, you dont have to like someone in order to enjoy their music, but wow is this guy a massive twat. his views on race are truly nauseating and hes in prison for murder and arson. i sampled some of the synthesizer albums he did in prison, and from what ive heard it all sounds really cheesy. whats the appeal with this guy?

i freakin' love his stuff, what i heard anyway. i really don't care how evil he is, his music is amazing.

Striborg

You said you liked Sunn O))) maybe you heard Pentemple, a project they did with Sin Nanna, aka Striborg. His music is very nature-oriented, it's raw atmospheric black metal, with a very strong feeling of "weirdness". The guy's from Tasmania, after all, so his aesthetics are much different from the Norwegian bands, or USBM bands.

Paysage d'Hiver

Also a one-man-band project from Switzerland, the guy calls himself Wintherr, he's in bands Paysage d'Hiver and Darkspace. This is probably my favorite blackmetal act. Theme is almost exclusiveliy *winter*, a very dominant topic in blackmetal, but he takes it to another level. His music production is really special, very blurred, but projects an incredible feeling of being right there in the nature, in the snow, blizzard... but not the cheap blastbeat way that bands like Immortal do (don't get me wrong, i LOVE Immortal). You gotta hear it to understand. Atmospheric blackmetal of the highest order! Don't get turned away by the "bad production", let it grow on you - I'm quite certain it will. He also has some dark-ambient/synth-only stuff, which you might also appreciate. You can read a nice article about his music here.

i don't have the time to write some more on the following, but i really recommend them as well:

Darkspace - a band Wintherr (Paysage d'Hiver) plays in, very interesting industrial-flavored blackmetal.

Wolves in the Throne Room - also on Southern Lord label (Sunn O)))), i recommend Two Hunters album

Xasthur - an important USBM one-man-band act, usually labelled as "suicidal black metal". he (Malefic) also worked with Sunn O))). i recommend Defective Epitaph.

Leviathan - also USBM, he (Wrest) also worked with Sunn O))), also depressive/suicidal blackmetal. check out The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide

Lurker of Chalice - not exactly blackmetal, a side project of Wrest aka Leviathan, the self-titled release is simply a fantastic record.

there are more, if you're after stuff where it all began (Scandinavia), then others have said it - Darkthrone, (early) Bathory, Immortal, Mayhem, ...

i'm sure i forgot tons of important/awesome stuff, i'll post some more later. truth is, there are loads of really mediocre blackmetal, and tons of really poor/uninspired blackmetal.

i recently found a nice blog: http://hammersmashedjazz.blogspot.com/

also, check out: http://my.opera.com/NorthernVantage/blog/ that just woke up after a year of hibernation

and for random blackmetal (but mostly tr00 and kvlt stuff) rapid5hare linkz: http://blackmetalownsyou.blogspot.com/

black metal is probably the only genre of music that's more pretentious than electronic music

true. the music is still good though. i never thought anything of the corpse paint or the 'story' behind the music.

i've been listening to emperor today. surprisingly good stuff, though not really 'pure' black metal, i guess.

also one of these days i'm gonna record a black metal album in my friend's backyard. he essentialy lives in a forest, so his backyard is a bunch of trees and a shed. awesome.

Racist music for racists.

really? i don't think i'm the slightest bit racist, but i love black metal. why does it have to be associated with racism? i don't study and live by the lyrics, i just like the textures of the music and vocals.

Racist music for racists.

why does it have to be associated with racism?

well, people like varg vikernes dont help much... but "racist music for racists" is a bit too inflammatory.

Archived