IGNORED

Hardware reverb

posture

got a alesis midiverb and quadraverb for about 100$ each, never used another verb that sounded so good for the music i make. straight up 90's warp. never heard a software reverb that sounded too great now i think about it

excuse me but doesnt this seem a really good way to go? especially if one is doing hardware stuff? anybody have this? im trying to find out the specs on it now. i mean you can use different effects cartridges with it, valhalla makes one, etc.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/898685-collaboration-between-valhalla-dsp-tiptop.html

Z-DSP_front1_small_big.jpg

Edited by skibby

The reverb unit he was using in the early 90s was a Quadraverb. He may have had other things too but he definitely one quite a bit and it sounds like it on Tha. If you want to emulate the qudraverb sound use Valhala. Here is a video of him with it.

never heard a software reverb that sounded too great now i think about it

There are lots of really great software reverbs :-

Lexicon PCM, UA Plate140, UA EMT250, Valhalla stuff etc etc.

yeah actually just heard some uad stuff that was tight. happy to be proven wrong but the 100$ midiverb will do me

Guest skibby

The reverb unit he was using in the early 90s was a Quadraverb. He may have had other things too but he definitely one quite a bit and it sounds like it on Tha. If you want to emulate the qudraverb sound use Valhala. Here is a video of him with it.

i thought valhalla was supposed to sound better than quadraverb? are they comparable? i had one but i forgot how it sounded.

Do you have any pics of your plate reverb ? How expensive / tricky is it to build one ? Thanks !

I'll sort out of some pics tomorrow if I don't forget

It's not expensive at all, well, let's say you can build one for under 150 (EMT plate reverbs were about 10 000!) euros I think. And it's not tricky at all really. You gotta be a little bit inventive. We used an old pc speaker for the input. You can use piezo transducer for the output most of the times.

For the plate, we built a wooden frame, and we drilled holes in the corners of the plate to attach/hang it in the frame. The corners are a bit problematic though, because the way we attached it causes the vibrations of the sound from the speakers on the plate to stop a little bit too soon maybe. So the decay could be longer, going to find a fix for that.

http://nicksworldofsynthesizers.com/plate.php

I think we used this as a guide back then

Do you have any pics of your plate reverb ? How expensive / tricky is it to build one ? Thanks !

I'll sort out of some pics tomorrow if I don't forget

It's not expensive at all, well, let's say you can build one for under 150 (EMT plate reverbs were about 10 000!) euros I think. And it's not tricky at all really. You gotta be a little bit inventive. We used an old pc speaker for the input. You can use piezo transducer for the output most of the times.

For the plate, we built a wooden frame, and we drilled holes in the corners of the plate to attach/hang it in the frame. The corners are a bit problematic though, because the way we attached it causes the vibrations of the sound from the speakers on the plate to stop a little bit too soon maybe. So the decay could be longer, going to find a fix for that.

http://nicksworldofsynthesizers.com/plate.php

I think we used this as a guide back then

thats awesome

Hard to get a good reverb unit that doesn't sound "digitaly", for sandwich+beer cheap. ("Digitaly" = basically Silver Verb on old school Logic.)

I used to have the DigiTech Studio S100, and it had 1~2 great stereo reverbs. Can be bought for cheap now (was cheap new).

Nooooothing compared to TC Electronic's M-One, though. Back in the day, that was the mac daddy of LUSH reverbs. Holy fuck motherfucker, those reverbs had so much depth, muthafuck. I wanted one so bad.

ive got the m3000.

i like it, it isnt as lush as other 'verbs (maybe im not programming it right.. but ive gone in depth), its realistic. which is also awesome for sci-fi-type stuff - it has a sheen, not metallic (as in ringy & yellow) but more like a reflective white iphone case...?

i'd love a reverb with an auto-hold funtion and no messing with transients, for drums.. just gonna check my kvr thread for one that was recommended

Edited by lala

the m3000 also has 2 verbs that are controllable by audio amplitude, so things in the background can be swashy and foreground tight, or the other way around for the aforementioned unrealistic drum verbs

pp2_eos.jpg

audio damage EOS - it has an infinite switch, a quick flick on then off for frozen unrealistic drum verbs.. havent tried it yet tho

(algos by Sean Costello IIRC)

The M-One is the only unit by TC Electronic using the XL reverb algorithm (according to THIS pdf), which is perhaps what makes it so special. Oooh... "XL", man. XL.

TC also bullshit. front page of m3000 box 'spring reverbs'. NO SPRING REVERBS

i have up to XXL spaces (i know may not be same algo)

@lin - may be my next purchase. i will rig up something in FL that turns the infinite on and off on input, and trigger it with a sine from a silent channel or something... maybe theres an easier way. not sure

Guest skibby

What would be the best bet for finding a hardware reverb unit for cheap, that doesn't sound like total ass.

I don't like when reverb has too much noise associated with it.

I just want it to be lush and warm sounding, thinking along the lines of the bass sound on the Aphex song Tha.

Also where to look, and what to look for. I'm poor, so I have a cash converters (lol) a few minutes from my house where I see a lot of rack mount stuff so that's where I'd probably look first. Then I guess random mom and pop music shops/ebay/craigslist or something.

I plan on using it with synths, and eventually one day with guitars so I can achieve my musical fantasy of making some droney space rock with Hawaiian style slide guitars.

Thanks.

did you get one yet?

I got a QuadraVerb a short while ago, and can vouch for it being nice. The parameters are pretty straightforward, although obviously it's a bit fiddly going through them one at a time through an LCD and a handful of buttons. Depending on your personal mixing setup, it's up to you whether you think going out of the box is going to make life more or less difficult for you. It's arguable I should have gone for a simple plug-in as although I record out of the box, I mix in the box. I just like how hardware doesn't have DRM nonsense, and wanted that early to mid 90s Warp sound. Talking of which, flanging noise also brings that style to mind, and it's nice that it's a reverb, delay, chorus/flanger and EQ all in one.

Anyway, for a nice digital reverb, it's great, but so are a lot of plug-ins, and presumably other hardware too, so get whichever suits your workflow best. I'm keeping mine for the time being though, there's something strangely romantic about using hardware.

im still logisticizing an eurorack, which i'll stash under a couple key 19" rack units. thinking about converting guitar fx pedals (verb for example) into the format. 12 volts to 9 ought to be easy ne?

Just finished building http://musicthing.co.uk/modular/?page_id=579 today, one of the larger//more difficult builds I've done to date, but pretty happy with how it's sounding (using a physical spring tank, http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/main/?skin=sub01_08.html specifically).

If you're Euro && DIY-friendly, it's a pretty great solution for ~$120 USD

edit: That said, spring reverb is a very specific thing and is not for everyone ;)

Edited by cloudbreaker