IGNORED

Need some good music like Autechre

thehauntingsoul

I've gotten into basic channel and monolake by way of ae and have really been digging their stuff a lot, both are worth checking out.

Also mouse on mars are hugely underrated, I'd put them up there in the pantheon on idm geniuses. Autoditacker is such a brilliant album, there's like 69,000 simultaneous great ideas on each track

I like Ae very much but i can't eat bean every day.

Alva Noto

Ametsub

Aphex Twin

B12

Basic Channel

Bad Sector

Bochum Welt

Bola

Burial

Byetone

Cybotron

Datassette

DeepChord

Fomatic

Frank Bretschneider

Gas

Ital Tek

Jega

Jetone

Kangding Ray

Kit Clayton

Kraftwerk

Laurent Garnie

Mad Mike

Model 500

Monolake

Murcof

Notein

Ø

Ochre

Pan Sonic

Pantha Du Prince

Plaid

Quince

Rhythm & Sound

Richard Devine

Ryoji Ikeda

Signal

SND

Speedy J

Spyweirdos

Stephan Mathieu

Sun Electric

Susumu Yokota

T++

Tetsu Inoue

The Black Dog

Thomas Fehlmann

Tim Hecker

Bach

Beethoven

Chopin

Ligeti

Mozart

Mussorgsky

Part

Rachmaninoff

Ravel

Scarlatti

Scriabin

John Coltrane

Miles Davis

Edited by xox

Guest Caustic
I'm yet to hear music that sounds like latter period Autechre that doesn't sound like a lesser copy. Like, last.fm says that Aphex and Boards of Canada are similar to Autechre, but each of those artists are totally unique in their own way, perhaps the only thing that makes them similar.

Last.fm similar artists' feature doesn't do a whole lot in terms of finding artists similar in style, but mostly whichever bands/artists are at the top of that genre. Can't fault it though, great little tool.

Guest spraaaa

oizo - moustache (half a scissor)

51-Ub0lj8SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

mark fell 10 types of elsewhere

31KvR1QwnHL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

sub rosa noise & electronic comps

61+55UWueKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

black dice - broken ear record

51FXWSGDQNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

^ mix these all together

also good jungle/hip-hop or hardcore mixes

Guest Chogg
Also mouse on mars are hugely underrated, I'd put them up there in the pantheon on idm geniuses. Autoditacker is such a brilliant album, there's like 69,000 simultaneous great ideas on each track

This.

I've gotten into basic channel and monolake by way of ae and have really been digging their stuff a lot, both are worth checking out.

Seconded, Monolake - Momentum in particular is stellar.

oizo - moustache (half a scissor)

51-Ub0lj8SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

mark fell 10 types of elsewhere

31KvR1QwnHL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

sub rosa noise & electronic comps

61%2055UWueKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

black dice - broken ear record

51FXWSGDQNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

^ mix these all together

also good jungle/hip-hop or hardcore mixes

i love that Mark Feel record as well as moustache, ill be checking out this black dice record shortly

This.

yes also dont forget Lithops 3 solo albums, he is the producer for Mouse on Mars and his solo shit is even weirder and more glitched out

A lot of people slagged this off because it sounds "too much like Ae".

i second this, i think it sounds like Ae in a good way.

this is coming from someone who thinks Jega and Bola are mostly too cheesy and obvious AE ripoffs

yes also dont forget Lithops 3 solo albums, he is the producer for Mouse on Mars and his solo shit is even weirder and more glitched out

Andi Toma may take exception to this post...

Edited by LUDD

Guest themutableone
A lot of people slagged this off because it sounds "too much like Ae".
Jjaksf[sdgsalg. I feel so dirty when I listen to something that similar to another artist.

Guest spraaaa

does Toma have solo stuff too? wasn't really too into Lithops... some cool ideas but I didn't really like the production that much, dunno. been meaning to check out Autoditacker forever though!

Basic Channel is legit! also on the techno front Go Hiyama reminds me a bit of Ae's Surgeon remix.

Guest Chogg

I've recently rediscovered Tim Koch's album "faena" and would recommend it... not necessarily like autechre, but it is certainly worth checking out.

Guest elves1111

Many great artists on archive.org! Its all free too!

Type "phonocake" in their search tab, and look thru their collective. "modul", "madstyle",

"cyclotron", "escape now", "anaxy" and some good ones to start with, but once you get started on their, don't get discouraged if you hear something mediocre, cuz there is an endless amount of artists on their within more crazy ass unheard of genres then anywhere else!!

Check out "3tronik" too! They are on archive.org or go to sutemos.net to hear them and quite a few others, mostly IDM and downtempo experimental. ....

Keep it real and live...take it easy...

Guest Chogg
Check out "3tronik" too! They are on archive.org or go to sutemos.net to hear them and quite a few others, mostly IDM and downtempo experimental. ....

I was totally going to come back to this thread and recommend 3tronik, good call.

Also: speedy J "a shocking hobby" has found its way into my rotation again. Yeah, I know it's old now. But... Fucking heavy bass and distortion, very intense music - worth checking out if you haven't already.

I was totally going to come back to this thread and recommend 3tronik, good call.

Also: speedy J "a shocking hobby" has found its way into my rotation again. Yeah, I know it's old now. But... Fucking heavy bass and distortion, very intense music - worth checking out if you haven't already.

the fact that 3tronik heavily samples from autechre makes them really hard to listen to.

fuck 3tronic. I totally understand an artist wanting to sample another artist but this is why 3tronic is gayer than a bunch of dudes having an orgy:

-He ONLY samples autechre, and he does so on just about every track

-He makes music that sounds nearly identical to autechre

If you are going to sample an artists, generally you put your own twist on the sound instead of just trying to make something that sounds like unreleased material by that artist.

for example, ae samples hip hop beats and stuff. They would not sample other IDM music, what the fuck is the point of that when you have enough control over your music to make it sound EXACTLY how you want, to turn around and rip off another artists original ideas.

It is not hard to sound original but if you HAVE to sample, at least take shit from a different fucking genre. And for god's sake if all else fails AT LEAST HAVE THE ORIGINALITY TO PUT A NEW SPIN ON IT!!!!

This guy is just creating more 'autechre' music using other autechre music.... terrible, terrible.

Anyone heard of Meam? They're quite a nice group on Skam who sound a bit Autechre-ish and don't get much/enough recognition. And then there is Team Doyobi (http://www.myspace.com/teamdoyobi) who are cool. And there's a guy called Robert Logan (found out about on the Mary Anne Hobbs show) who is really good and Autechre-ish sounding (http://www.myspace.com/robertlogan). Definitely check him out.

holy shit thanks so much for the suggestions ppl, looks like I gots me some fresh ear candy for the next few weeks/months

I am making a point of downloading each and every album recommended here and giving it a thorough go.

So far I'm seriously Digging Arovane and monolake, and that Moustache album is REALLY fuckin weird but after a once through it is fucking solid. Also Brownout is fantastic as well.

Oh one more rec I forgot is tadd mullinix (aka dabrye) - his hip hop stuff as dabrye is decent but before that he made an album under his own name - winking makes a face - some pretty amazing/unique idm, kinda reminiscent of autechre circa lp5 but more baroque if that makes any sense

Mùm - Yesterday was dramatic, today is ok and Finally we are no one.

Not really anything like ae but both good albums in their own right, especially Finally We Are No One

Guest Goum Le Chat
Mùm - Yesterday was dramatic, today is ok and Finally we are no one.

Not really anything like ae but both good albums in their own right, especially Finally We Are No One

When i listen to Yesterday was dramatic, some tracks have a kind of ae flavor to my ears. They've reached a more adult, subtile sound with Finally we are no one.