IGNORED

uh, did you guys see this?

joew

Guest AOOproductions

I kinda figured this a while ago. To bad they turned out to tbe the Emo circle jerks of the IDM circle. At least pusher and afx and ae are all cryptic. These guys are just crying little douchbags. FUCK BOC. *burns records*

• 4 years later...

From Twoism:

I searched "Michael Sandison" as a songwriter on the Harry Fox Agency (where musicians go to obtain licenses to make cover songs on their own records) to see if there was anything interesting in any official catalogs.

The first result, among other tracks that are recognizable, is "Echus"...?

Has anyone heard of it/know what it is? I can't link to the search results because of how the web page is... Click this link, and search Michael Sandison. It's also, oddly, the first result.

(or, just search 'echus')

If anyone can't replicate it, here's a screenshot of the Songfile: clicky

If it's something dumb, or obvious, I'm sorry in advance. I'm not hunting around for new things like a madman, I am not after starting silly hype - to be honest I typed in a lot of my favorite artists because it was cool to see their works come up. But when this popped up... I just don't know what it is.

interesting find! perhaps MDG can shed some light on this?

this is possibly something to do with the warp20 releases. i'll check it for you.

For a while I've been interested in using Echus in a short film I was planning to make. I wondered if it was legal to just have someone recreate as best as they can and credit both BoC and the "remixer". Pretty naive of me. This is what brought me over to this thread.

If Echus is listed on the HFA site (which it is, just do a search for "Echus"), does that just mean the song/artist is represented by HFA if someone were to want to cover it? Or does it mean that the original recording of Echus can be licensed for use in other media etc.? If that's the case, there should be a clean version of Echus available, which I really don't believe there is. At least not publicly.

Any thoughts on the legality of using a remake?

In commercials and such they use "soundalikes" all the time to get around paying licensing fees, although they usually aren't note for note recreations. If someone is going through the trouble of remaking it, I'd just have them do something in a similar style.

I worked on a commercial once where I used a Shitmat song as reference and they had a soundalike done from that. Wasn't even close, haha.

In commercials and such they use "soundalikes" all the time to get around paying licensing fees, although they usually aren't note for note recreations. If someone is going through the trouble of remaking it, I'd just have them do something in a similar style.

I worked on a commercial once where I used a Shitmat song as reference and they had a soundalike done from that. Wasn't even close, haha.

Yeah, There is something about those soundalikes that irritate me. But they are smart workarounds.

I would really like to know about the business side of doing a cover or remix. I never really thought about it, as it seems anyone and everyone just remixes the shit out of whatever they like. I sometimes wonder how people get access to the original track's channels to mess with. Are there programs that can isolate "instruments" from tracks? Clearly I don't make music...

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, There is something about those soundalikes that irritate me. But they are smart workarounds.

I would really like to know about the business side of doing a cover or remix. I never really thought about it, as it seems anyone and everyone just remixes the shit out of whatever they like. I sometimes wonder how people get access to the original track's channels to mess with. Are there programs that can isolate "instruments" from tracks? Clearly I don't make music...

Many of the stems come from 'remix competitions' where the artist/label actually make them available often with legal blurb that says 'you can only use them for the purpose of this comp etc' - No software can 'unmix' a mixed track back to stems (although some claim its possible etc)

Older vinyl records often came with an 'accapella' (just the vocal track) from the song possibly just to fill up the side of the record and these are good sources but not common these days.

Official remixes are commissioned and this will involve getting access to the stems but you will get fucked in the street by the labels lawyers if they end up on the net for everyone to use. Asking the relevant label for the parts of a big name tune will get you nothing.

The clever producers can get usable material for remixes by maybe grabbing a little snippet of the drums that contain no music, an instrumental section etc and loop these to make your own fake stems for remixing.

FWIW I have a release on something called www.altered-echo.com which actively encourages other people to make new music from the stems the artists provide. The project focuses more on 'new music' rather than purely remixes of the tracks and suggests that you pick and choose what bits of audio inspires you from all the projects releases and make something cool with them. I will be making a proper thread regarding altered echo, but in the meantime have a look at the site if you want any more info :)

Archived