IGNORED

Teenage Eng. OP-1

Guest Adjective

Guest Adjective

saw this on rekkerd.org, seems like this would be a lot of fun.

Teenage Engineering

display test

OP-1 FEATURES

It’s a controller — OP-1 stands for Operator 1. The OP-1 is a pocket size controller for your favorite software sequencer. Connect it to your laptop and it lets you control your sequencers transport with the common play, stop, rec, forward and rewind. Use it to control your software synthesizers with the 4 rotary encoders and 16 dedicated quick keys for fast selections.

…and a Synthesizer — When you disconnect the OP-1 from your computer you suddenly have a stand-alone portable wonder-machine with 8 synthesizer models, 8 samplers and effects like Delay, Flutter, Filters and EQ all built in. Use all that synthesizer power to record your work with the truly unique (at present time, secret) sequencer. We promise you a really cool and creative way to record your sounds and tweak them in a completely new way.

A portable wonder! — Use the magic step sequencer/arpegiator to get the notes right. If that is not enough use the built in motionsensor that sense every shake or move you make and turn it into really cool sounds. Then relax and sample a beat from the built-in FM radio or memorize a tune by whistle it into the built-in microphone. Play your piece to your friends through the built-in speaker. Or…convert it right away to mp3 and mail it to them.

Guest Robotussin

i really love the included FM radio, too. will be good for the kind of shit i do with simpler in ableton - dropping samples in and making synths out of them.

everything about that company looks great.

Guest NinjaRapAttack

I will buy this...

You can sign up to be a "beta tester" on their site.

you have to buy it tho...

the sequencer is super secret... who knows??

I want this more than Acidlab M1am1.

for sure!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

No way is that worth £707.

A fully functional synth with easy wireless IO, complete portability, and stand alone audio daw isnt' worth 800?

Yeah...

No way is that worth £707.

A fully functional synth with easy wireless IO, complete portability, and stand alone audio daw isnt' worth 800?

Yeah...

Not when America is getting it for £528.

Seems really gimmicky and I've only ever seen it in that lame Swedish House Mafia video.

It is pretty hipster though, so it does have that going for it.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

The screen is the most impressive element...

Yeah I really liked everything about how the visual interface looked. Had a very smooth 70s sci fi future movie look to it.

Guest hahathhat

oh no. I was expecting this thing to be much, much cheaper.

yes. price also put me off. i was feeling $299-399. consequently, i'm not getting one unless it's clear it's fucking amazing for the price!

Played a festival in Sweden last year, the teenage engineering guys did a small demo there too to show this thing off. Was really interested at the time so went to check it out..

was so completely unimpressed by it. Considering it was the designers playing it, they seemed utterly flumoxed by the interface. It sounded thin and shit as can be. It's massively over priced for what it is, and for the quality you get.

The idea of trying to play a whole live show with this leaves me shaking. They played for about 10 mins before most people had walked off. For the cost of it, you could buy a pretty powerful laptop, which surprisingly can also work as a sequencer, synth etc etc... Doesn't have a built in FM radio, but I didn't think FM was gonna be around much longer anyway..

Played a festival in Sweden last year, the teenage engineering guys did a small demo there too to show this thing off. Was really interested at the time so went to check it out..

was so completely unimpressed by it. Considering it was the designers playing it, they seemed utterly flumoxed by the interface. It sounded thin and shit as can be. It's massively over priced for what it is, and for the quality you get.

The idea of trying to play a whole live show with this leaves me shaking. They played for about 10 mins before most people had walked off. For the cost of it, you could buy a pretty powerful laptop, which surprisingly can also work as a sequencer, synth etc etc... Doesn't have a built in FM radio, but I didn't think FM was gonna be around much longer anyway..

thats exactly the problem here, an original design concept with no thought to workflow which is essential for any hardware to stand above a software/laptop setup

you also need a mastermind behind the concept like Riger Linn, Dave Smith, Daniel Hanssen or Jorg Schaff. If TE designers can't get a musical workflow with thier OP-1 then they are doomed which is a similar feeling I get from the Octatrack i.e far too much hype and not enough substance.

thats exactly the problem here, an original design concept with no thought to workflow which is essential for any hardware to stand above a software/laptop setup

you also need a mastermind behind the concept like Riger Linn, Dave Smith, Daniel Hanssen or Jorg Schaff. If TE designers can't get a musical workflow with thier OP-1 then they are doomed which is a similar feeling I get from the Octatrack i.e far too much hype and not enough substance.

Archived