IGNORED

ROLAND JUNO 106

Guest David R James

I dont get this because DCOs havent really changed since then. Dave Smith uses the exact same DCOs in the Evolvers and the Prophet 08 that are in the Matrix series.

The Matrix synths used a CEM3396 chip while the Prophet 08 uses a PA397 which is apparently an updated version of the CEM3396.

According to Dave Smith: "We're using a customised part that Doug Curtis designed a few years back for the Evolver. As you may know, Doug passed away recently, but his company, OnChip Systems, are still manufacturing the chips for us. The part is similar to the one that Tom Oberheim used in his 'Marion' series of synths a few years back, which in turn was a variation of an older CEM part. In my opinion, this filter has a ballsier sound — I usually avoid using descriptors like that, but everyone knows what it means — than the CEM3320s we used in the later Prophet 5s, the Prophet 10, and the Pro One, and I think that this is noticeable if you compare the Prophet 08 to the older synths."

Would be good to get a juno 60 with a midi mod? cause i really want that sound

The Juno 60 doesn't suffer from the same degrading chip problem as the Juno 106, and lots of people I've talked to prefer its sound over the 106 also, so I'd say yes, it would be a good choice.

Archived