IGNORED

SAW2's sound

Guest Bramsworth

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think knowing how it was made enhances the music and increases my appreciation of it.

I couldn't agree more. When I'm producing music, esp doing sound design, and I stumble into a really cool effect or texture that resembles something aphexy or something that ive always how to make, i get really excited, and kinda feel as if i stumbled into a secret distant place.. You only get the luck of stumbling into that area every now and then.

There have been production mistakes or extreme experiments (w/ layering, distortion, envelope/mod tweaking etc) where ive come close to making textures that i've heard used by masters like aphex twin and shinichi osawa (2 of my highly regarded role models in music)

• 4 years later...

I just got a DX7.Im pretty sure there is some DX7 in SAW2 now that ive mess with it.The detuned keys you can get out of it are the closest thing ive heard to SAW2.

I just got a DX7.Im pretty sure there is some DX7 in SAW2 now that ive mess with it.The detuned keys you can get out of it are the closest thing ive heard to SAW2.

:fear:

Im like 99% sure many of the sounds on SAW II are FM-synthesis based. Could really be any preset on most Yamaha DX's, even just with timbre down to make it more muffled or amp envelope altered slightly... That and then imagine Rich running it through lush analog compressors, anologue delay units and gelled with all kinds of nice colors and touches

Not sure if anyone's heard the YS-200 , but you'd be surprised to hear just how lush some of those presets sound, esp the brass & synth strings and stuff.

That and then imagine Rich running it through lush analog compressors, anologue delay units and gelled with all kinds of nice colors and touches

Or, you know, a cheap digital QuadraVerb. :)  It gets the job done.

That and then imagine Rich running it through lush analog compressors, anologue delay units and gelled with all kinds of nice colors and touches

Oh 100%, from what I've heard on these forums the Quadraverb can do some amazing things, thinking about picking one up. The only outboard effects setup I have is an ASR 10 which I picked up a little while back, and the fx on it are pretty nice as well. Kind of gimmicky, but solid and authentic sounding -- especially for that 90s techno / big beat kind of vibe. :)

Guest bitroast

ugh.. yeah. def. playing around with quadraverb can very easily give saw 2 vibes.

i know it's largely dependent on the sounds that go into the reverb, but the reverb itself just instantly has the same qualities as saw2 xD

It's a nice little effects unit, but no more so than most plugs.  Just use what's easiest for you.

Totally, I've been in love with my valhalla ubermod plugin since i bought it a few yrs bak (as well as Valhalla VintageVerb). You can get some truly beautiful sounding tails and spaces with that thing and their plugins are only $50. 

+1 for the VintageVerb -- nicest reverb plugin I've used in a long time. I was using the KarmaFX reverb for a while but the Valhalla is more lush.

right? yeah I've been addicted and Valhalla has been my go to for reverb/delay ever since. I do dig Soundtoys Echo Boy for delay as well as it can do some pretty cool complex things, but in terms of a general space/ambiance, I think Ubermod and Vintage Verb are all i need. It's also fun to create your own patches with it, and tweaking away- fantastic user interface. Yeah VintageVerb is so lush its unreal. You can make it sound ranging from super natural (with small rooms/drum rooms/small ambiance etc) all the way to huge and expansive. 

The only nitpicky thing I have a problem with Valhalla is it's hard to get it to sound heavy and nailed to the floor--like that certain dimension you can get with some of the Lexicon or of course real plate verb or actual room verb. There's a sense of lightness to the Valhalla plugins. But maybe i haven't explored different settings enough- or it could be the nature of the vocals I've used it on. But it comes close enough and is the best I've used so i can't complain.

the main growling riff in 'tree' is a trumpet lowered about 6 octaves in pitch

Bullshit. If you pitch bend original track +2 octaves you hear a little bit detuned (not microtonal) pad + sound reminds some etno instrument.

Example (without detuning):

https://app.box.com/s/x2yi1o6qcqu0r6d4v0ogqv31mr5x8g9g

This is sound patch from midi bank (90. Pad 2 (warm)) starting from chords as on picture and goes down -1 octave until 3rd repeate

FtW0JbVTn10.jpg

Archived