IGNORED

Slowdive

Guest beatfanatic

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As great as Slowdive are, nothing they've done is competing with Loveless. But honestly these band aren't really in the same style and are hard to compare. They are both lumped into the "shoegaze" genre, but Slowdive drew on the 4AD "Dream Pop" sound while MBV were more akin to South Youth or Dinosaur Jr. Both have thick atmosphere but achieved really different results.

With that said, I love Slowdive! Souvlaki is a classic album. Alsion and When The Sun Hits are probably my favorites. One of my favorite albums to listen to to bed.

Guest beatfanatic

As great as Slowdive are, nothing they've done is competing with Loveless. But honestly these band aren't really in the same style and are hard to compare. They are both lumped into the "shoegaze" genre, but Slowdive drew on the 4AD "Dream Pop" sound while MBV were more akin to South Youth or Dinosaur Jr. Both have thick atmosphere but achieved really different results.

With that said, I love Slowdive! Souvlaki is a classic album. Alsion and When The Sun Hits are probably my favorites. One of my favorite albums to listen to to bed.

you are right, Slowdive is not really shoegaze while Loveless is a quintessential shoegaze album. Are they other groups similar to Slowdive?? I would love to hear something similar to them.

Guest abracadabra

I too <3 Slowdive. Especially Souvlaki. Try listening to "When The Sun Hits" while gazing into the sunset/sunrise. It is so lush.

Souvlaki Space Station seriously sounds like what the birth of the universe would be like....just pulses of pure sonic brightness.

i would call Mew somewhat similar to Slowdive (Glass Handed Kites and the new album they're in the process of releasing)

Labradford = Pygmalion era Slowdive

I don't think Slowdive has ever released anything approaching the quality of Loveless, though they do have some great albums. Just for a Day has a few great songs (Celia's Dream).

Also My Bloody Valentine has yet to release any song that I find less than amazing.

slowdive were great. i've only really heard souvlaki and a bit of pygmalion, but i've been highly inspired by what i've heard!

you are right, Slowdive is not really shoegaze while Loveless is a quintessential shoegaze album. Are they other groups similar to Slowdive?? I would love to hear something similar to them.

try engineers. they're a bit more poppy and the vocals are more up front, but they're just as dreamy. their latest album 'three fact fader' is excellent!

i don't listen to or enjoy guitar music, or anything with lots of vocals or singing. neither do any of my friends.

:unsure:

i love slowdive

Guest zaphod

asobi seksu have some really blatant slowdive style guitars, specifically in the song "red sea" on the citrus album. and slowdive are certainly shoegaze, as much as shoegaze is even a genre. it's like a blanket term for a movement, the same way aphex twin and boards of canada are considered idm even though they don't sound anything alike. i'm probably one of the biggest shoegaze nerds on this board but it's a term invented by the music press to describe a couple of bands. and i would say that while loveless is a more unified work with a really distinctive sound, souvlaki is a better album of songs. but it is a weird comparison, those two albums.

asobi seksu have some really blatant slowdive style guitars, specifically in the song "red sea" on the citrus album. and slowdive are certainly shoegaze, as much as shoegaze is even a genre. it's like a blanket term for a movement, the same way aphex twin and boards of canada are considered idm even though they don't sound anything alike. i'm probably one of the biggest shoegaze nerds on this board but it's a term invented by the music press to describe a couple of bands. and i would say that while loveless is a more unified work with a really distinctive sound, souvlaki is a better album of songs. but it is a weird comparison, those two albums.

I agree with this, but I'm still sticking to Loveloss > Souvlaki

it used to be called the scene that celebrates itself at one point

which just goes to show how desperate the nme / melody maker were to try and fashion a scene out of many vaguely similar bands

shoegazer was more of a slight derogatory term to describe these floppy fringed delay pedal using oxford pansies with fender jaguars

oh yeah, i'll save Mo the bother by saying that Slowdive basically ripped off their sound from Kitchens of Distinction (except KoD only had ONE FUCKING GUITARIST!!!)

[youtubehd]QLzY-PISy-k[/youtubehd]

edit: don't youtube links work anymore?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLzY-PISy-k

and IMO, neither MBV or Slowdive did anything as good as the comforts of madness by Pale Saints on 4ad circa 1990

• 3 years later...
Guest Aserinsky

I've just picked up their 3 albums (7digital are doing a deal where you can buy all of them for £10.99, bargain!) and I've truly fallen in love, this group are nothing short of amazing.

Any recommendations for anyone that sounds similar? Bearing in mind my only knowledge of anything that sounds near to this is Loveless and I'm really far behind when it comes to knowing about shoegaze...

Guest happycase

Freshman year of college my roommate and I would put on Just for a Day every night before hitting the lights. Best sleeping music. It blew my mind a couple years later to realize I had never really heard anything past track five.

^yes

this group is amazing, such emotional music. It's kinda weird and sad they split and moved on and made really mediocre music compared to Slowdive in my opinion

Archived