IGNORED

Slowdive

Guest beatfanatic

Do they have a new release?

My favorite more shoegaze slowdive track is allison, but Pygmalion is their best release.

They've expressed recent interest in putting out something new but are focusing on gigs and preexisting material for the time being.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find souvlaki to be a great album that suffers a little from dated mixing and mastering. pygmalion is a very cool minimal and spacey listen by contrast. both albums are mastered quite soft from memory

If you want 'em louder I recommend getting the 2005 Castle Music reissues for some brickwalled goodness ;p

• 3 months later...

after numerous tries i still can't get into pygmalion, it's soo boring and hollow..it's just not working. "cello" is a nice piece though.

I hear you, try Blue Skied 'an Clear though, I really love that song. But it's the only one I like on that album.

after numerous tries i still can't get into pygmalion, it's soo boring and hollow..it's just not working. "cello" is a nice piece though.

I hear you, try Blue Skied 'an Clear though, I really love that song. But it's the only one I like on that album.

That's one of my favorite songs of all time. You have to be in the right mood to listen to it, it's often something I put on during long road trips. Some tracks meander a bit but I love that album overall.

They were wonderful at FYF, played during the sunset. Blue Skied 'an Clear is actually the only song they didn't play that I wanted to hear. They and Slint were the two main reasons I flew out there and both exceeded my high, hopeful expectations.

Yeah they definitely still got it, I saw the pitchfork video of them performing Catch the Breeze, they are just perfect still

I still wanna see them live one time

They were in the Netherlands a while ago, but it was at a festival. Tickets were expensive and I could only be bothered to see them, didn't give a shit about the other same old indie bands that were playing, so I didn't go. But they are so good, next time I should go

I listened to them a lot when I was in more of a shoegaze phase. These days I don't go back to them much but I do listen to Pygmalion sometimes, usually when I'm really sad. Hah. It's just so bleak and sparse. Great depression music.

I think Pygmalion is their best work. It's unlike anything else I've listened to. Melancholy to an extreme. I like that they took a very specific mood and just went all out on it.

• 1 year later...

^ Don't think so, hadn't seen it yet either but now I will, so thanks!

Looks like I also never mentioned that I saw 'em live over the summer at a small Belgian festival (free entrance even) and they did not disappoint. Nice bonus, it was my first time ever hearing their version of this:

A lot of people hate on Touched, Colm's track from Loveless, but I've always quite liked it.

Touched is brilliant. I love the audacity of a solo distorted rompler on a rock album, and the segue into the next track is lovely.

Yeah I think it's perfect. A flawless bridge between the tracks and one of the weirdest minutes on any rock album.

Slowdive is nice, but a little too nasally for my ears vocalwise..however, the harmonies are nice. They wrote a song called dagger that the hope blister did a rendition of that's absolutely wonderful.

Not long ago I watched the Project Pitchfork documentary of Slowdive and loved it. It was then that I became smitten with the tambourine singer guitarist named Rachel. Something about her eyes too made an impact on me. I ended up getting myself in trouble too because I was having a shoegaze conversation and I said that Rachel from Slowdive is my little cupcake. I was then corrected, she's not my cupcake, she's in fact nobodies cupcake and she didn't work hard on music for all those years just to be pigeonholed as my cupcake or anyone else's for that matter. I can understand their point.

Someone compared them to MBV in this thread and I do have to say that I prefer MBV over slowdive. But imo MBV isn't my favorite. That award goes to astrobrite. Their recent deluxer album on bandcamp is a masterpiece. Not only that, their older stuff has wild mind melting guitar and vocal stuff going on and it was made on a simple tascam cassette recorder only a few of years after Kevin Shields bankrupted his label recording loveless in a studio on state of the art equipment.

Archived