IGNORED

a few old tunes is actually old tunes vol. 1

Guest JohnTqs

the photo on the maxima tape has been around forever. and that hand writing is SUUUUUPER easy to copy.

OK, entertain us - write out something and make it look like M&M wrote it...

All I'm trying to get across is it's a lot of effort for little payoff, and as I said before, the side A/B break on the Maxima tape is right - not too many people know the breakdown unless you've seen the tape.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps MDG could chime in on this and clear the air, or at least provide some perspective.

Hard to imagine what he could add that you haven't Joyrex. And I agree, I've changed my mind, this is the best thread on here since, ooooh, Red Moon. Or the April Fools' Day announcement. Interesting stuff.

Perhaps MDG could chime in on this and clear the air, or at least provide some perspective.

Hard to imagine what he could add that you haven't Joyrex. And I agree, I've changed my mind, this is the best thread on here since, ooooh, Red Moon. Or the April Fools' Day announcement. Interesting stuff.

I'm assuming that you're implying that there isn't any validity to the OP's claims...

I'm assuming that you're implying that there isn't any validity to the OP's claims...

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic. I just think this is the most readable thread since those other two, but for rather different reasons. At first I thought the thread on Twoism was a load of shite, but what you said about the Maxima tape has made me think again.

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic. I just think this is the most readable thread since those other two, but for rather different reasons. At first I thought the thread on Twoism was a load of shite, but what you said about the Maxima tape has made me think again.

Ah, I see - sorry! Actually, I think MDG could explain a bit more about the early BoC days when they made these homemade tapes, and perhaps whet our appetites about the potential of some of these great tracks finally seeing the light of day with M&M's blessing...

That's totally up to him, of course!

Ah, I see - sorry! Actually, I think MDG could explain a bit more about the early BoC days when they made these homemade tapes, and perhaps whet our appetites about the potential of some of these great tracks finally seeing the light of day with M&M's blessing...

That's totally up to him, of course!

No probs :smile: , I can see how my post must've read a bit snotty and sarcastic.

*watches the skies for MDG*

Guest dealer

My BoC Maxima is in colour, and does NOT contain any additional writing on the J-card beyond the cover and tracklisting...

For what it's worth (and what I recall being told):

A Few Old Tunes is just that - not AKA Volume 1, etc. - it's safe to assume when M&M put it out, they hadn't thought about releasing more, (and hence labeling it "volume one, two, etc." since this was not a commercial release.

The cassette commonly known as OTV1 (aka the "35 Random Tracks") has a name and tracklisting, but has not been divulged (yet). Trust me, I've asked and been politely been denied.

There's a total of 4 cassettes like this, possibly more.

I reckon the girl in the Geogaddi artwork is now getting a very cross email at this point...

to be clear, the tape in the photo of mine is a copy, hence the back and white.

the girl has given me copies as we've been close for many years and aside from me hearing them, no one else has or will. any assertion to the contrary is baseless. joyrex, please PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

hope this helps,

a.

350px-Afewoldtunes-scan-by-dealer.jpg

the cassette liner note mentions "Boards of Canada: Old Tunes Vol. 1" accompanied with the well known "A Few Old Tunes" cover.

'nuff said imo.

I think you mean the cassette label (visible in that pic you posted), but that's the cassette for AFOT, aka OT V1 (which it never really was; my AFOT cassette says BOARDS OF CANADA: A FEW OLD TUNES - I reckon that's a (mis)labeling by BoC, indicating that copy of the cassette was probably made AFTER OT V2 came out, thus making AFOT technically OT V1. I'm just speculating on the last bit, mind you. Nowhere to my knowledge on the A Few Old Tunes J-Card does it mention OLD TUNES VOLUME 1, unless that too is a variation (unlikely since I am sure other copies of the J-Card were made from one master, and edited/added to as BoC saw fit (as in the case of the Maxima cassette, again, speculation).

....or all together fake. .

Yes, because people have nothing better to do than to make THREE ENTIRE CASSETTES of BoC-ISH TRACKS, SOME OF WHICH SOUND SIMILAR TO RELEASED BoC TRACKS BUT ARE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT, AND CREATE ARTWORK FOR J-CARDS, all so they can promote fakes... yep, you figured it out.

:facepalm:

Guest Synthacat 9

Yes, because people have nothing better to do than to make THREE ENTIRE CASSETTES of BoC-ISH TRACKS, SOME OF WHICH SOUND SIMILAR TO RELEASED BoC TRACKS BUT ARE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT, AND CREATE ARTWORK FOR J-CARDS, all so they can promote fakes... yep, you figured it out.

So wait is BoC really The Tuss or not? Come on I gotta know!

Everyone knows the Tuss is actually hidden in Clark's compression. Fact.

Guest JohnTqs

Everyone knows the Tuss is actually hidden in Clark's compression. Fact.

here we go again

Guest phaelam

whoa homie smooth out. im just talking about the cassette case. that looks 'not real'.

never said shit about the tunes man. you could take a couple shots from the net, paste em together in photoshop and print that out in 10min. then claim to have a tape.

hell people spend more time farking stuff together than the time it would take you to make a cassette liner.

It's also possible that AFOT and OTV1&2 were compiled independently of one another - AFOT as a one-off and OTV1&2 as a two tape comp. if they are unrelated (other than source) then the title confusion and the duplication of tracks would make sense. that's what i've always assumed, anyway. could be wrong; could be a pointless observation - would be the first time for either from me . . .

It's also possible that AFOT and OTV1&2 were compiled independently of one another - AFOT as a one-off and OTV1&2 as a two tape comp. if they are unrelated (other than source) then the title confusion and the duplication of tracks would make sense. that's what i've always assumed, anyway. could be wrong; could be a pointless observation - would be the first time for either from me . . .

Yes, that's a reasonable assumption - I always thought the duplication of tracks was due to them working on the tracks, and as more "good" tracks came about, they added them to their favourites they preferred to put on tapes for friends and family.

maybe they just y'know labeled them differently because they were stoned or couldn't be bothered, the music is what counts here, not names or labels.

As always, Kaen busts through the drywall with his stone cold logic and common sense! :cisfor:

An upshoot of this thread is that it's made we want to listen to BoC again (hype victim). I've currently got on that one with the close up of the girl's face from Hiscores on the cover.

Archived