IGNORED

midi microphone

YEK

shouldn't this have been made already? sing or talk and it records sound as midi

i know there's the odd program that does this but a mic,. that would just be great, quite good

Guest JohnTqs

i've got a vst somewhere that converts audio to midi, i've run a mic through it and then sent midi to other vst's. can't remember the name of it

I'm pretty sure that melodyne has a audio to midi function, but there are tons of other programs that just do audio to midi(google wav/mp3 to midi). You can try wiring a midi cable to your mic, but this requires a spare midi cable, a microphone you're willing to sacrifice, some free time, and some experience with stripping/wiring/soldering cables. It's not a difficult mod and there are a lot of tutorials that will guide you(google audio mic to midi mic/wind controller conversion), so it's worth looking into if you don't want to spend 700+ on a wind controller. If you wire the mic correctly, then all you do is plug it into the midi-in of your interface or synth.

You can try wiring a midi cable to your mic, but this requires a spare midi cable, a microphone you're willing to sacrifice, some free time, and some experience with stripping/wiring/soldering cables. It's not a difficult mod and there are a lot of tutorials that will guide you(google audio mic to midi mic/wind controller conversion), so it's worth looking into if you don't want to spend 700+ on a wind controller. If you wire the mic correctly, then all you do is plug it into the midi-in of your interface or synth.

i think doing this would only allow one to use a microphone as a breath controller vis midi. It wouldn't do pitch 2 midi conversion.

they sold a thing for a while online that used a throat band to record your throat vibrating and converted it to midi extremely accurately live. they stopped selling them years ago and unfortunately there to my knowledge hasn;t been a piece of hardware as good since. I have a Boss Dr-5 drum machine and it has a pretty crude but mostly usable 'guitar synth' mode that lets you plugin any 1/4 inch audio cable and it willc onvert it to midi in real-time.

What you guys are forgetting is that the standard MIDI port doesn't supply enough voltage to power high quality condenser microphones. On the Jensen website you can find a schematic for adding a +48v transformer to your MIDI interface in order to supply your mic with the proper voltage.

Guest welcome to the machine

What you guys are forgetting is that the standard MIDI port doesn't supply enough voltage to power high quality condenser microphones. On the Jensen website you can find a schematic for adding a +48v transformer to your MIDI interface in order to supply your mic with the proper voltage.

I don't think anyone mentioned using a condenser? Why not use a high quality dynamic microphone? There are plenty out there :)

But yeah as you say if you DID want to use a condenser a midi cable has two spare pin's that are unused so you could easily use them to run phantom down!

You can try wiring a midi cable to your mic, but this requires a spare midi cable, a microphone you're willing to sacrifice, some free time, and some experience with stripping/wiring/soldering cables. It's not a difficult mod and there are a lot of tutorials that will guide you(google audio mic to midi mic/wind controller conversion), so it's worth looking into if you don't want to spend 700+ on a wind controller. If you wire the mic correctly, then all you do is plug it into the midi-in of your interface or synth.

lol, somehow i don't think that would work. microphone = analog signal. midi = digital. where's the converter?

ya if you just connected a mic to a midi cable you'd absolutely nothing at all. like. nothing.

audio must be analyzed and certain frequencies would have to be mapped to certain midi note numbers and there would also have to be a threshold to tell it when to make a note on and note off message.

"

If you wire the mic correctly, then all you do is plug it into the midi-in of your interface or synth.

"

If you really think this would work you have a LOT to learn about midi.

Archived