IGNORED

garry cobain

Guest Calx Sherbet

Guest Calx Sherbet

so anyway i uploaded FSOL's "Environments 2" and i get this in my inbox from "gazcobain"

you probably think/delude yourself you're doing us a favour advertising us ( FSOL ) and tangerine dream and aphex by uploading virtually all of the tracks from our albums here but the simple fact is that you're NOT !!! It probably gains you friends here and subscribers and a small level of digital notoriety and who knows traffic to aphextwin.com.but when we are trying to sell this album from a small independent label ( fsoldigital.com ) this is NOT doing me any favours.You call yourself a fan . . . . with fans like you who needs . . . . . . haven't you analysed what's happening at the moment in greater depth or do u think other people's music and labour and efforts to make music is just yours to use for your own agenda . . .if I wanted / or thought this strategy of uploading an entire album was good for me to promote myself then it should be MY decision to do that not yours!!! What do you do for a living . .if its anything creative then think about the repercussions to you personally of someone else assuming they can give your work away. Yes you're gonna say its available on hundreds of torrents etc and yes that would be right! It just saddens me when so called fans do it that's all !

I normally tolerate it when there is at least an attempt to do something creative but looking at your channel it seems to be simply an effort to gain traffic for yourself OR aphex.com or whatever using assets you don't own . .its THEFT !! basically !! It would be even at least slightly tolerable if it wasn't the whole track and therefore showed some understanding but it seems to me you know exactly what you are doing . . look at your comments people are thanking you for file sharing !!

i thought it was fucking hilarious. because on my channel i DID actually say i was the admin of aphextwin.com

this was my response

"i'm not file sharing. i am showing off good music though. it DOES promote it, and people are more than likely going to want to buy the hard copy of an album, most people aren't going to just rip the music straight from youtube. the sound quality isn't that good, especially if the video isn't in HQ. so no, it's not like i'm handing out rapidshare links with your albums. i'm not doing this for myself, i am not doing it for attention. i'm doing it so the ARTIST gets attention. fuck i don't give a shit about gaining friends on youtube, i'm not gonna be pals with any of them.

and aphextwin.com is just an inside joke, most watmmers would get it. it doesn't exist and i'm not the admin of anything, so just cool your fucking jets. "

so was he just being a dick? was that even him? hell idk, but this was annoying

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Adjective

I think he's got a right to complain about how his work is being used, regardless of whether your intentions are good or bad. Of course, this thread is evidence that he did not handle this right. Was this his very first contact with you, or did it escalate to this?

You Sir, are a penis of the highest order.

Providing sample tracks here and there, not FULL FUCKING ALBUMS, is the way to show your love for a group and promote their music (even though they never asked you to in the first place). You are not encouraging anyone to go and buy the full album or other albums when you give away an entire release - you're removing any incentive to actually go and buy it since most will think, "hell, I've already got it, why would I go spend money on it - I'll just go buy something else with the money Calx Sherbet saved me." Twat.

Did you even stop to think this through? Why do you think the smaller labels (and now the artists trying to sell direct) are going under? It financially becomes unsustainable when somebody can search Google for "[insert artist name or album name here] rapidshare" and come up with a whole fuckton of sites like yours that give it away with no consideration to the fact you're taking sales away from the artist, and removing any incentive for the prospective fan to go buy it themselves, be it physical or digital.

All you're doing is trying to increase the size of your already non-existent e-penis by offering somebody else's hard work for free without consulting them or even giving some thought to how it would or could benefit the creator.

And to go around saying you're the admin of a domain you don't even own, let alone have nothing to do with is fucking sad, and a bit dangerous if someone ever decided to pursue any action against you and implicated that domain in the proceedings.

Do the right thing, send a heartfelt apology to FSOL and promise to never do such a thing again.

You Sir, are a penis of the highest order.

Providing sample tracks here and there, not FULL FUCKING ALBUMS, is the way to show your love for a group and promote their music (even though they never asked you to in the first place). You are not encouraging anyone to go and buy the full album or other albums when you give away an entire release - you're removing any incentive to actually go and buy it since most will think, "hell, I've already got it, why would I go spend money on it - I'll just go buy something else with the money Calx Sherbet saved me." Twat.

Did you even stop to think this through? Why do you think the smaller labels (and now the artists trying to sell direct) are going under? It financially becomes unsustainable when somebody can search Google for "[insert artist name or album name here] rapidshare" and come up with a whole fuckton of sites like yours that give it away with no consideration to the fact you're taking sales away from the artist, and removing any incentive for the prospective fan to go buy it themselves, be it physical or digital.

All you're doing is trying to increase the size of your already non-existent e-penis by offering somebody else's hard work for free without consulting them or even giving some thought to how it would or could benefit the creator.

And to go around saying you're the admin of a domain you don't even own, let alone have nothing to do with is fucking sad, and a bit dangerous if someone ever decided to pursue any action against you and implicated that domain in the proceedings.

Do the right thing, send a heartfelt apology to FSOL and promise to never do such a thing again.

true dat

Guest Calx Sherbet

I think he's got a right to complain about how his work is being used, regardless of whether your intentions are good or bad. Of course, this thread is evidence that he did not handle this right. Was this his very first contact with you, or did it escalate to this?

no it was the first time he contacted me.

besides, i could just remove them and make a HUUUUUGE difference in his income

And to go around saying you're the admin of a domain you don't even own, let alone have nothing to do with is fucking sad

no, it's not a big deal at all actually

i'm not giving out anything. it's not like i'm handing out torrents or anything

Guest Calx Sherbet

wow, you're kind of a dickhead

Guest ezkerraldean

And to go around saying you're the admin of a domain you don't even own, let alone have nothing to do with is fucking sad

you're a false pretender! this is internet treason

i'm not giving out anything. it's not like i'm handing out torrents or anything

lol... ever stop to wonder why there's a ton of "youtube to mp3" sites? People who want the music but can't be fucked to bother with torrents or megaupload (or who are just technically ignorant) will be aided by you putting up whole albums on YT.

Guest Calx Sherbet

yea, but the quality is shit. i figured people wouldn't really care for yt rips. a lot of people do this, i'm virtually nothing on yt

Guest Adjective

no it was the first time he contacted me.

besides, i could just remove them and make a HUUUUUGE difference in his income

If it were me I would comply with his request to take it down. If he's wrong, then "his bad." He may have a unique perspective on this situation, since he's actually running a label. If you keep things up out of spite for his way of communicating then he could probably easily have your account suspended by youtube. And hey, even if it sounded rude, it was actually kind of nice of him to make the request first, instead of simply reporting you.

Guest Drahken

Hey guyz, ever hear of the radio? Its this awesome invention where you can listen to whole songs for free and record them if you like. The record industry is doomed.

Guest Adjective

i think this moves the thread into a separate discussion. i thought radio stations paid a fee to certain entities( i don't know what) in order to play music from whatever catalog that entity offered. so in the case of taping something from the radio, although i think the record industry still hated that, at least somewhere along the line money was moving near the artist.

Guest Drahken

Moving near top40 artists. But the stuff we enjoy don't see jack from the recording industry on the radio end. College radio has been around for eons too and play so much indie stuff its not even funny, and most were online until those stupid laws on internet broadcasting were passed. Laws that again, pay out money to the top billboard artists regardless of what the station actually broadcasts.

I'm sympathetic to the woes of selling music these days, but I view something like youtube or last.fm as a continuation of radio, not some nefarious exploitation of an artist.

Guest ezkerraldean

I'm sympathetic to the woes of selling music these days, but I view something like youtube or last.fm as a continuation of radio, not some nefarious exploitation of an artist.

definitely agree. it's inevitable. any artist who fights it seems like a bit of a luddite to me. 

what i don't like, though, is how some people record off youtube / generally download reams of music without actually listening to it. if someone has their entire music collection on shuffle in itunes or whatever, and that person goes "hmm, i've never heard this track before", then in my view something's gone wrong.

Hey guyz, ever hear of the radio? Its this awesome invention where you can listen to whole songs for free and record them if you like. The record industry is doomed.

Thing is, the artists get royalties for radio airplay - so it's not "free", as you listen to advertising or pay a fee if it's subscription-based satellite radio.

didn't people used to record stuff from the radio onto cassettes? i can't believe that was legal

It was, (and some would argue still is) under the doctrine of the Home Recording Act, which basically stated you could make one copy for personal use, as long as you didn't profit or redistribute. The Digital Millennium Recording Act did away with much of that, to address the new lossless formats of the computer age.

Posts like these make me realize either you two are terribly young and/or uninformed as to basic copyright law.

Archived