IGNORED

Machinedrum User Appreciation

acidphakist

After having borrowed the Rytm for a couple of weeks, I've concluded that the MD needs an mk3 model. The sequencer and performance stuff on the Rytm are great, but I prefer the machines on the MD over the analog and sample voices of the Rytm. Also annoyed that the Rytm doesn't do external midi sequencing.

I have the mk1 version and have been wanting to upgrade to the mkii but I think I'll wait. really hoping Elektron has plans for this...

The machinedrum is the reason why I didn't stop making music several years ago, and I think it brought back hardware into the studios again

Guest skibby

aside from the sequencer, what does this do that another synth can't do? for example, isnt it possible to program percussion patches on something else that has multipart timbrality and make similar sounds?

Guest Chesney

I Love my machinedrum. Been through most samplers/drum machines and every one of them felt cumbersome. I clicked with the MD within minutes.

The MD is unique because of parameter locks Skibby. The drum synthesis is great but not ground breaking but coupled with the locks it opens the world before your eyes (ears).

It could be improved yes, adding micro timing etc but I would hate it to got the way of the RYTM. That felt a ballache to me.

• 2 weeks later...

aside from the sequencer, what does this do that another synth can't do? for example, isnt it possible to program percussion patches on something else that has multipart timbrality and make similar sounds?

Although as already stated the sounds are nothing revolutionary but the various synth options (machines) are custom designed for creating percussion sounds - they aren't say the typical 2-osc subtractive type affairs you get on lots of synths.

The sequencers on the Elektron boxes are where the magic is, specifically the p-locks. I also like that you can make any of the 16 sounds anything you want, so if I want a kit of 10 different kick drums and 6 different claps, I can do it.

Brilliant drum mchine imo - Wish I hadn't been quite so tight and got the UW option on mine.

• 1 month later...

yo crew,

quick MIDI question...

I can't seem to find a way to set the MachineDrum to only listen to one MIDI channel (as i'm using the THRU port to send MIDI to my SlimPhatty)

Bought the zaquencer and trying to set them all up and this MIDI channel thing is standing in the way - it's playing the SlimPhatty data as well as it's own

Looked through the manual and read through forums and cant seem to find a solution - seems the 1-4 MIDI channel bracketing system is there for a reason, but still ain't so helpful in this case...

any ideas?

• 1 month later...
Guest skibby

inspirational tools. really reclusive company in case you are in gothenburg and ask to visit them.

Edited by skibby

Guest Chesney

Not with only 8 tracks. But yeah, I know there are tricks to get more than 8 samples running. I like to layer my drums alot to get big individual sounds so 16 tracks is perfect.

I would love the MD to have micro timing, different track lengths and a scene fader etc. Obviously a unobtainable wish as the MD OS is already full.

• 1 year later...

Machinedrum boyz, i got a hot Q for you!

Is there anyway of locking a machine so that it doesn't listen to any global parameter lock info?

For example, I'm feeding an audio signal into an INP machine (microGranny) however when I do global parameter lock tweeks (holding FUNCTION and twisting X knobs) it's being problematic for some certain aspects - namely if i were to globaly pitch down every machine, this would 'volume' down the INP machine, or if i were to globally pitch everything up it would make matters even worse and boost the volume to max

If there's no way to lock the machines, can you move around the Data Entry knob positions?

much thanks if there's a cure out there!

P-lock all the steps/parameters you don't want to be affected by the FUNCTION tweaks.

Forgive me for my lack of MD-slang, but by P-lock you mean to hold down the individual steps which we 'dont' want to be affected (luckily in this case i'm only dealing with 1 step, which is only acting as a gate to open up the INP) and set the parameters how we like

I tried that with a simple test of P-locking the LFO to max, but when when i did another global Function tweek it still affected the LFO...although when i hit FUNCTION+Classic/Extended button to reset the tweeking it did return to its P-locked state

that's all well and good, but the main thing i want to achieve is for the INP machine to not respond at all to global FUNCTION tweeks - is there anyway of locking them?

Been a long time since I tried an MD. Since the INP machine stays open for the entire pattern, you might have to p-lock the parameters in question to every single step. You'll quickly run out of p-locks though, so choose the most important parameters.

Been a long time since I tried an MD. Since the INP machine stays open for the entire pattern, you might have to p-lock the parameters in question to every single step. You'll quickly run out of p-locks though, so choose the most important parameters.

Hmmm, I'm only dealing with 1 step on the INP machine in this situation though and P-locking the paramaters dont seem to 'lock' their values while i'm 'live' function tweeking

anyone else have any ideas?

Guest Chesney

Func hold and tweak WILL affect all machines and if you have things like midi tracks etc then this can become a problem. I found this out live and because of bad midi channel planning on my part I changed the patch on a synth the MD was controlling, took me a moment to realise what I had done.

If you want to get weird like the func hold and tweak can but don't want everything to be affected then use the Ctrl all machine. If you do not know the trick for this, PM me and i'll explain it.

The Function+Knob trick certainly affects input machines, had quite a few funny instances of this happening live. I think for that P-locking-the-input-machine workaround to work correctly, you have to set a trigger on every single step, and P-lock every step in turn. I haven't tried it though. Might get my head into Machinedrum mode later today and report back.

I turned on my MD last night to check this, and then ended up just playing with it for 2 hours. Forgot to check, sorry :(

Maybe it's only MID machines that it doesn't affect? I'll try to remember tonight!