IGNORED

Monomachine User Appreciation

futureimage

Supposedly the only track they ever used song mode on was LCC. 

iirc they said that with sublimit everything was staged, so they just pressed play and recorded it. 

i was always wondering whether they used elektrons as external moduls for max or digital performer or it was all internally sequenced. i need opinions on this pls

I read in p4k interview that sublimit was made with DP

EDIT: Oops my bad 

Pitchfork: The timing on that "Iera" track is pretty disgusting-- were you using fader controllers to manipulate MIDI data?

Autechre: No, that was purely programmed, grid-programmed, all onscreen, just nudging MIDI events around. That track is totally just mousin' it-- but there are other tracks, as on "Sublimit", that are just a drum machine up and running, 16-grid style, no swing or anything, everything just completely straight. On this record there's no generative work or fader based MIDI stuff.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes modey, i guess i need to wait and test it myself. maybe it'll be ok... i can always add a midi thru box if needed, i'm just thinking ahead...as alwayz ;)

p.s. so, no cooperation? watmm yo-no-fun  :tongue:  :trashbear:

ok, my second proposal is an old one: let's make a monomachine compilation!  :cisfor:

(godamnit, this one should pass!) 

sign me up

ooook. that's 3 of us so far... this is going really sloooow

This still happening? I have an all MnM track to submit.

Shit, I lied. I forgot I used the Quadraverb on some parts. Anyway, here it is:

[sc5]295376768[/sc5]

Can we add the restriction that it has to be recorded live with no editing (except trimming & normalization) or external processing? Yes because I'm lazy but also because it's a little more democratic. Would be cool to share the sysex too. 

Shit, I lied. I forgot I used the Quadraverb on some parts. Anyway, here it is:

[sc5]295376768[/sc5]

Sweet wavetable action!

Guest Chesney

Yeah, I think that's why the MnM and in a way the MD have been slightly overlooked until recently. The sounds on their own are kind of flat and bland. It's not until you fuck them hard they sing. If people are being minimal with them they can seem underwhelming boxes. they need to have the right people behind the controls i.e. us nerds.

Yeah, I think that's why the MnM and in a way the MD have been slightly overlooked until recently. The sounds on their own are kind of flat and bland. It's not until you fuck them hard they sing. If people are being minimal with them they can seem underwhelming boxes. they need to have the right people behind the controls i.e. us nerds.

It's a wonderful machine, the MnM. Someone with little patience in sculpting sounds would probably get a little frustrated with it, like you said. The default machines have very little character at first, but the tweak ability is fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally had the chance to have a go at the monomachine again, after spending a few months working on my new prog album. Every time I come back to it I learn something new about how to design sounds for it. I'm really getting into using the onboard chorus to widen sounds, and have even managed to make the reverb sound alright for a live situation, which is great because now I can just take the elektrons without any external effects.

snippit of today's work, somewhat OPN-ish..

http://0f.digital/audio/setrs%20tk5.mp3

I feel like I'm finally starting to nail lush sound design on this thing (and not just trying to emulate ae), took me a while! I still haven't paired it with the machinedrum properly yet but that'll happen soon I think.

oh and the FM machines are fiddly as fuck but holy shit they sure can make some nice sounds sometimes

Guest Chesney

wicked modey!

Yeah the FM is not typical but easy enugh when you remember the shortened parameters. I always get really surprised at how deep and subby the bass can get.

snippit of today's work, somewhat OPN-ish..

http://0f.digital/audio/setrs%20tk5.mp3

I feel like I'm finally starting to nail lush sound design on this thing (and not just trying to emulate ae), took me a while! I still haven't paired it with the machinedrum properly yet but that'll happen soon I think.

oh and the FM machines are fiddly as fuck but holy shit they sure can make some nice sounds sometimes

Wicked! Sounds great. The FM machines were what I was attracted to most when I was considering the MnM. They're wonderful.

Just listening to your track now paranerd. Bet that was a blast making. Rad stuff.

Thx!

Thanks guys!

I'm really beginning to understand what people have been saying about gain staging on the monomachine; it's really easy to just completely blow out any good synth sound by driving it too much, especially when routing to effects.. but on the other hand, sometimes I find it needs to be pushed in order to get a thicker sound. It's a strange beast!

Thanks guys!

I'm really beginning to understand what people have been saying about gain staging on the monomachine; it's really easy to just completely blow out any good synth sound by driving it too much, especially when routing to effects.. but on the other hand, sometimes I find it needs to be pushed in order to get a thicker sound. It's a strange beast!

This is a similar problem to what I see with the prophet 12. There are like several ways to completely blow out your sound with it. Having one and learning how it works I realize it's much better at soft/lush analog sounds than what people show in the vast majority of demos I have found.

• 2 months later...
Guest Chesney

Ooh, I recorded a MnM only track the other week without thinking about this. I was going to chop up and arrange and add some other stuff but... i'll have a listen and see.

Archived