IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

And maybe bust out some nugs or your psychedelic of choice for when you do want to listen.

don't listen for at least 2 months.

I already tried this. A couple times. Didn't help. Although kryLon isn't as terrible as I first thought. Not very good but not terrible.

There are bits in here I get stuck in my head but never any whole tracks, and actually I find more of these bits in Move of Ten than Oversteps.

And maybe bust out some nugs or your psychedelic of choice for when you do want to listen.

Move of ten is a really great weed record. It kinda 'unlocks' for me after a smoke.

I haven't revisited Oversteps in a long time though. It's just so dense!

Further to my previous post, I am now listening to Oversteps again, for the first time in a year, while working on some technical illustrations and drinking some very nice shochu. I'm hearing things that I'd never heard before, and remembering the little details in the melodies, which I'd previously thought was just random noodling.

I already tried this. A couple times. Didn't help. Although kryLon isn't as terrible as I first thought. Not very good but not terrible.

There are bits in here I get stuck in my head but never any whole tracks, and actually I find more of these bits in Move of Ten than Oversteps.

try putting it down indefinitely. i've done that with albums (AE even...Incunabula, Anti EP, LP5); not listened for 6 months, a year, whatever. and when you think to one day out of the blue, give it another shot. you may never love it, and that's fine. but it doesn't hurt to try an album again once every year. you're not missing out on an Oversteps party or anything...speaking of, how long is this thread gonna be pinned here? til a new album gets announced?

i don't love LP5 like i did when it first came out, probably never will. but i can appreciate it and enjoy it again now. i really didn't care for Incunabula at all for a year or two after i first purchased it (about 4 years ago i'd guess) and finally started enjoying it this year.

just set Oversteps down for now, who knows what may change. no loss if not!

Edited by auxien

try putting it down indefinitely. i've done that with albums (AE even...Incunabula, Anti EP, LP5); not listened for 6 months, a year, whatever. and when you think to one day out of the blue, give it another shot. you may never love it, and that's fine. but it doesn't hurt to try an album again once every year. you're not missing out on an Oversteps party or anything...speaking of, how long is this thread gonna be pinned here? til a new album gets announced?

i don't love LP5 like i did when it first came out, probably never will. but i can appreciate it and enjoy it again now. i really didn't care for Incunabula at all for a year or two after i first purchased it (about 4 years ago i'd guess) and finally started enjoying it this year.

just set Oversteps down for now, who knows what may change. no loss if not!

I've experienced a similar thing with LP5. From the moment I first heard it (2000, right before my senior year of high school, when I first got broadband and went apeshit with napster), I was infatuated with it, which I haven't felt with any other Autechre album. Then after about a year I got sick of it, though I still recognized it as really good. I listened to it again about a year ago and while I don't think I was exactly blown away, it was a very satisfying listen. I was pleasantly surprised.

And though I got acquainted with Garbage through Tri Repetae++ a couple years earlier than that, even, I didn't appreciate it until a few years ago. Now I think it's one of their weirdest and best, definitely one of their most minimal.

Guest VgqepetrahLcwg swr6

Oversteps' fine... If you were to rank the albums, Oversteps would probably be right around the middle of the list.

Well, I'd still put it toward the bottom if not at the very bottom. There are some definitely highlights but yeesh, a lot of it really feels like filler. I guess this could be said of, say, EP7 too, but even the wanky tracks are satisfying and have interesting ideas. Even some tracks like Treale that have brilliant moments, mostly just meander and bore me.

It's one of those things I'm never really in the mood for, I never crave. But sometimes I feel like I "should" listen to it because I don't get it yet. Maybe someday I'll crave it and learn to love it.

There's nothing wrong with not liking an album, even if it is by a band you love.

Guest Balance

I immediately loved it and overlistened to it 2 or 3 times a day.

I'd rank it near the top but I deffo can understand those who don't like it, it's a bit different but that's fine by me.

man, when that first track kicks in i'm starting to bite my teeth and it sucks my into this trip of an album

Oh yeah, the first 3 tracks are solid. After that it gets patchy. At least it has a proper closer.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason nowadays when hearing the second half of the opening track I always visualise bombs being dropped high up from the point of view of the underside of an aircraft. The bombs exploding on the ground in the distance with some psychedelic pattern - the sort of pattern that was on that now-banned-for-seizure-reasons Olympics promo (I could only find an extract):

WARNING - STROBING PATTERNS. DO NOT PLAY IF YOU SUFFER FROM PHOTO-SENSITIVE EPILEPSY

Yeah, Oversteps takes me to some pretty far out places even after just hitting a few bowls.

I was listening to Oversteps yesterday whilst walking around farm areas on a perfectly sunny day with blue skies. Fitted the mood perfectly. I still think Ilanders doesnt quite fit with the rest of the album, however the transition between r ess and ilanders is excellent. Also have a newfound liking for Yuop.

Guest Roksen Creek

Yuop is an incredible track as is krYlon.

I used to skip past krYlon, thinking it filler, now I think it's one of the best tracks they've ever done. Strange how that works. It's like something Bach would do if he was still around and got into electronic music.

Yuop is best listened to with top-range headphones/speakers on high volume. Sounds incredible.

Guest Sprigg

I deleted Known(1) and d-show qub from my mp3 player, and have a newfound love for the album.

Especially os veix 3, could be some of the most beautiful, nuanced shit they've ever produced... that high-pitched sound around 2:52 is just devastatingly beautiful.

Edited by Sprigg

I deleted Known(1) and d-show qub from my mp3 player, and have a newfound love for the album.

Especially os veix 3, could be some of the most beautiful, nuanced shit they've ever produced... that high-pitched sound around 2:52 is just devastatingly beautiful.

wait, are you listening to actual mp3s of the album? or was that a catch-all and you're listening to it encoded at a bit higher quality?

i encode all of my music at 96kbps mp3 so i can get more on my iphone

may I suggest encoding at 23Kbps mp3? That way you'll get even more on your iPhone, and you'll also get some additional nulls.