IGNORED

I had forgotten

impakt

Guest nene multiple assgasms

Ive only ever heard Autumn Acid and other random tracks. Recommend me an album to get and I'll find my own way from there.

lunatic harness

Guest Calx Sherbet

Ive only ever heard Autumn Acid and other random tracks. Recommend me an album to get and I'll find my own way from there.

lunatic harness

also in pine effect, and royal astronomy. but keep an open mind please!

• 1 month later...

God, it's 9:04 am and it's been another manic run through and "Lunatic Harness"--"Brace Yourself Jason" is up so loud that the plucked bass notes are shaking the wall and the Nintendo melodies are filling my soul. God damnit, I'm not going to lie, I'm overwhelmed to the point of tears over how good this album is. I lost my shit in 1997 exactly the fucking same way I am now--goddamn 13 years later.

Mike toyed with brilliance in all of his albums but he just fucking threw the gauntlet down so hard that it made an imprint in the ground with this one. Can you say you know of an album that matches "Lunatic Harness"? Sure, there has been a lot of great music since, including by Mike himself, but I'm fucking saying, start to finish (minus "Wannabe"). I can't even get it all out because "Hasty Boom Alert" is making my back and arms chill so hard that it hurts--every hair on my body is erect over it.

It's that I just started fucking in 1997 and I started college in the fall and it was a huge mindfuck to be getting your dick wet and being in college and the headiness of being 17-18 so that surely has something to do with it but even at 31, this album is organic in ways no other album has ever been. It's like you can feel Mike through it. I also never realized how much this album affected my own music making--I have to basically trash my back catalogue because it was just hours and hours of ape'ing.

"Mushroom Compost" just lovely melodies crawling up and down. Only the beats are quantized, everything is else is a hand made sinewave symphony of wah-wahs and strings just lovely lovely gorgeosity, no MIDI needed.

Mike is so pragmatic and "academic" when you talk to him, I'd love to just ask him about where his mind was and what his work schedule was on LH and how he views it in his own discography. The funny thing is is that you'd be just as likely to get a droll "Well, I liked it. It's a good album." based on how he was on that Red Bull Academy interview. I loved it when that guy just would not get off of Mike's nuts concerning working with RDJ on EKT and Mike just panned "well, I liked the way he danced about the studio". God I laughed my ass off on just how "straightforward" of a guy he is.

It's funny that his music is so "whimsical" and "pastoral" and at times definitely goofy because he comes off as being so serious. A very interesting character. I know he's happy with the massive expansion and liveliness of the Planet Mu label because he wanted that all along. He played that Virgin game just for seed money for Planet Mu and he worked it out brilliantly. Just a really brilliant guy--but honestly, I would not expect his music out of him. Richard--yes. He's fucking weird in interviews and says weird shit on purpose, so "milman's wife's tits" is no big stretch. FSOL? Oh my fucking god, OF COURSE their music would sound like it does based on how they behave. But, I can almost see Mike waking up in the morning and just treating music making like a 9 to 5, just serious to the core. I would love a WATMM-based interview, not that numbnuts from Red Bull Academy. For some reason, I want an acknowledgement that Planet Mu is awesome and that we'd all buy 2 releases if he talked to us. But, for some reason, I don't think he has an appreciation for just how many people seriously love his compositions. You know that RDJ is all "business as usual, of course you love me"--I just get that feeling. But, I dunno, since Mike will likely never make music again, I feel the need for some memorial or gathering where we basically say "Mike, you were amazing".

I could be goin' off the deep end. I think I'll stop.....

what he said

^^^^^^^^^

he never really topped LH

it's a time less classic

wish we were still in the golden era of idm

which for me was like 94-2001

shivers indeed

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Calx Sherbet

royal astronomy and in pine effect are some of my faves he did under the u-ziq name. idk, royal astronomy just has something magical and enchanting about it, i love it to death every time i here it. funny enough, neither of those album are that popular. but there is no doubting the radiance that is emitted from Lunatic Harness. has one of the best finishing tracks ever. the EP's from the same time were GREAT. i love the EP's he always put out with his albums

and xxx, "whimsical" is the perfect word for Mike. to me (visually), a lot of his albums come off as a toybox coming to life and making IDM or something

Mushroom Compost <3

• 3 months later...

i'm quite partial to royal astronomy. it seems like he took that melodic Nintendo thing even further on it. also it has "The Hwicci Song" on it.

then again In Pine Effect is the same. all of his albums are great... I don't really prefer any one of them. "The Hwicci Song" however is my favorite at the moment.

he is obviously very under appreciated, his music is so emotional and organic and memory based. it takes you right there, deep in the moment...

brace yourself EP is my favseys. Listen to the brace yourself(remix) happiest song evers. Kubba is aewsome, vaken bolt is awesome, losers march is awesome, summer living is awesome. whole thing is good.

Like to show my appreciation for Mike by posting in this thread. Getting back into his music after a long Venetian Snares and Wisp break.

He is probably my biggest inspiration, well him and RDJ but I think my music sounds more like Mike's. It makes me feel better about my tracks when I know Mikes done so well with the kind of music he's made. Makes me feel like I can do it too :) I just need to get the break making down.

Guest ezkerraldean

Mushroom Compost was my ringtone for years. Love that album. Was indeed the golden age! I loved the one after too - Bilious Paths, very fun. Mu-ziq was great. All his earlier albums were top-notch. So cheery and happy.

Still can't listen to Duntisbourne without wanting to fucking slit my wrists though. I was pretty miserable around the time that album came out and that album is so damn melancholy. I know that village it's named after, too. Was such a horrible experience, listening to that when it was new. Aargh.

well i've got no negative connotations with duntisbourne but i am finally getting it more,

for me i kinda got into it more when i put it on while drawing and it subconsciously entered my ears, ambient like even though it's not ambient

it's an interesting sound, that album.

• 3 years later...

God, it's 9:04 am and it's been another manic run through and "Lunatic Harness"--"Brace Yourself Jason" is up so loud that the plucked bass notes are shaking the wall and the Nintendo melodies are filling my soul. God damnit, I'm not going to lie, I'm overwhelmed to the point of tears over how good this album is. I lost my shit in 1997 exactly the fucking same way I am now--goddamn 13 years later.

Mike toyed with brilliance in all of his albums but he just fucking threw the gauntlet down so hard that it made an imprint in the ground with this one. Can you say you know of an album that matches "Lunatic Harness"? Sure, there has been a lot of great music since, including by Mike himself, but I'm fucking saying, start to finish (minus "Wannabe"). I can't even get it all out because "Hasty Boom Alert" is making my back and arms chill so hard that it hurts--every hair on my body is erect over it.

It's that I just started fucking in 1997 and I started college in the fall and it was a huge mindfuck to be getting your dick wet and being in college and the headiness of being 17-18 so that surely has something to do with it but even at 31, this album is organic in ways no other album has ever been. It's like you can feel Mike through it. I also never realized how much this album affected my own music making--I have to basically trash my back catalogue because it was just hours and hours of ape'ing.

"Mushroom Compost" just lovely melodies crawling up and down. Only the beats are quantized, everything is else is a hand made sinewave symphony of wah-wahs and strings just lovely lovely gorgeosity, no MIDI needed.

Mike is so pragmatic and "academic" when you talk to him, I'd love to just ask him about where his mind was and what his work schedule was on LH and how he views it in his own discography. The funny thing is is that you'd be just as likely to get a droll "Well, I liked it. It's a good album." based on how he was on that Red Bull Academy interview. I loved it when that guy just would not get off of Mike's nuts concerning working with RDJ on EKT and Mike just panned "well, I liked the way he danced about the studio". God I laughed my ass off on just how "straightforward" of a guy he is.

It's funny that his music is so "whimsical" and "pastoral" and at times definitely goofy because he comes off as being so serious. A very interesting character. I know he's happy with the massive expansion and liveliness of the Planet Mu label because he wanted that all along. He played that Virgin game just for seed money for Planet Mu and he worked it out brilliantly. Just a really brilliant guy--but honestly, I would not expect his music out of him. Richard--yes. He's fucking weird in interviews and says weird shit on purpose, so "milman's wife's tits" is no big stretch. FSOL? Oh my fucking god, OF COURSE their music would sound like it does based on how they behave. But, I can almost see Mike waking up in the morning and just treating music making like a 9 to 5, just serious to the core. I would love a WATMM-based interview, not that numbnuts from Red Bull Academy. For some reason, I want an acknowledgement that Planet Mu is awesome and that we'd all buy 2 releases if he talked to us. But, for some reason, I don't think he has an appreciation for just how many people seriously love his compositions. You know that RDJ is all "business as usual, of course you love me"--I just get that feeling. But, I dunno, since Mike will likely never make music again, I feel the need for some memorial or gathering where we basically say "Mike, you were amazing".

I could be goin' off the deep end. I think I'll stop.....

good post - i love mike and want to write him daily and tell him how amazing his music is. luckily bambi reads watmm fairly regularly and i'm sure he's read my effusive posts

Archived