IGNORED

Altered:Carbon - the fake Oversteps

Daxx

As I'm sure many people now know, there was a fake 'viral' release of Oversteps which was infact the debut release album of Altered:Carbon.

I first got Altered:Carbon's album as the overstep fake and to be honest I thought it had some good sounds!

I've subsequently heard a lot of speculation about whether Autechre themselves released this as a viral etc, the conspiracies are all quite amusing.

http://fatroland.blogspot.com/2010/01/autechres-oversteps-fake-leak-scandal.html

Guest HWNDarkside

As a stand alone piece of music I like Altered Carbon. It probably would have more fans if it wasn't passed off as Autechre to start with.

Read The Rules

i only listened to it twice when it was being circulated as a fake. then after i deleted the fakes i downloaded the proper release, i haven't listened again though. some nice stuff on there but the real oversteps is totally satisfying my electronic needs right now. :closedeyes:

Guest bassface

I thought some of it was pretty good, especially the fake "see on see" had some cool stuff happening in the beats. I was pretty pissed when I found out it wasn't the real Oversteps though. Oh well, at least it was worth listening too.

Guest Hanratty

i love the idea of fake leaks. i will try to get my fake AE album together so the next album I can make a fake too. just need a few more sample cds...

Guest Greg Reason

i love the idea of fake leaks. i will try to get my fake AE album together so the next album I can make a fake too. just need a few more sample cds...

lol yeah next time there'll be twenty :shrug:

• 3 years later...

I thought I was losing my mind trying to find two tracks I had heard on oversteps. I formatted my phone and eventually put the legit copy on there unknowingly. That fake known(1) is one of them. The other I haven't come across yet. It was sort of slow at the start with a steady bass drum and what sounded like metallic water droplets, then a nice synth came in and while the song occasionally chopped or changed pitch.

I feel foolish trying to describe electronic music...

interesting, a comment on youtube claims Altered Carbon are Mike and Marcus from BoC. Is this laughable, or is there any potential truth to it?

No (yes to laughable), they're just from Scotland, and they are pretty open about their identity.

I recall almost all regular Ae listeners around me was sold on that weak ass fake. Makes me feel special.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brendyman

I remember I listened to it after I had listened to Oversteps, still thought it was quite good

And then later when I was messing around with Absynth 5 presets (back in the day when I still used presets) I recognized one of the sounds, lost all respect for it

I thought it was great, felt to me like a return to old Autechrian roots. Listened to it a fucktonne at the time.

It took until I bought the Oversteps box set and then tried to play a track out in a bar (which I subsequently couldn't find, obvs) to realise summat was up.

Since found out via the WATMMs about the fake stuff...I've been buying the 'chre since 94...boy was my face red etc.

The track in question was Sleav…just beautiful…gutted it isnae on vinyl anywhere.

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/AlteredCarbon/Altered_Carbon/Altered-Carbon_-_Altered-Carbon_-_13_Sleav

Archived