IGNORED

Boardwalk Empire

chenGOD

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally caught up on this. S4 has been a little less hectic than S3 as they branch out the story. Possibly a little too much, but it's still decent storytelling. I'm loving Stephen Graham's intense Al Capone, but he can't do an American-Italian accent to save his life. Ah well.

Michael Shannon has lost some of his intense creepiness from the first time we saw him..he's starting to mellow just a tiny tiny bit!

Yeah the only one I'm not really big on is Eli's son. Seems to be very much an after thought...but maybe the writers will surprise, who knows - it's been pretty consistent writing until now!

Yeah the only one I'm not really big on is Eli's son. Seems to be very much an after thought...but maybe the writers will surprise, who knows - it's been pretty consistent writing until now!

I think after the last episode, that story has revealed its significance... Eli is in a really interesting situation now, I'm excited to see what comes next.

I just marathonned through s3 and 4 up to the current episode over a couple weeks. What a ride! I loved s3 for Rosetti. I don't like 4 as much as 3 but it's still solid. Narcisse is pretty fascinating, and Nelson rolling with the Capones has been a lot of fun. I love Michael Shannon and I always look forward to his scenes.

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit behind, but I need to share my thoughts somewhere.

The 4th season of Boardwalk Empire, until the finale, was horrendous. I've loved the show so far, so hopefully it will get back track for the last season. But that Dr. Narcisse character is one of the most ridiculous and cartoony characters I've ever seen... just awful

But I really liked the ending to Harrow's storyline, it was the the perfect way to end it. And Van Alden's bits is becoming the best part of the show.

Eddie Kessler's suicide made me quite depressed.

I'm a bit behind, but I need to share my thoughts somewhere.

The 4th season of Boardwalk Empire, until the finale, was horrendous. I've loved the show so far, so hopefully it will get back track for the last season. But that Dr. Narcisse character is one of the most ridiculous and cartoony characters I've ever seen... just awful

But I really liked the ending to Harrow's storyline, it was the the perfect way to end it. And Van Alden's bits is becoming the best part of the show.

Eddie Kessler's suicide made me quite depressed.

I was a really big fan of this show but tbh, the darkness wound up overwhelming me. You weren't able to point to a single character who had some bit of redemption. Margaret Schroeder (hhhhng, I've got a major thing for Kelly McDonald) was the last holdout and she was out the door on S3. I started S4 and got a few episodes in and lost my drive for it. I read Ceerial's spoiler because I didn't hear enough convincing spoilers to pull me back in and now I'm glad I didn't because it would have only made it worse. I love depravity as much as the next person but you have to throw in some humanity. Tony Soprano was soft for animals and killed pricks who deserved it (Ralphie), Walter White rescued Jesse, etc. An ever-increasing spiral into sick shit is just not as entertaining as it used to be for me. I think I've done too much liveleak.com, bestgore.com, ogrish.com, etc.

Exactly.. My biggest problem with the show is that is simply too bleak, and I normally likes shows/movies/whatever with very dark themes. But The Sopranos had it's uplifting moments in all the misery, which gave it another dimension. I know the world was a darker place in 1920's, but everybody in this show just seems to be some tragic character, and most the characters you've felt sympathy towards are dead at this point.

I still like the show. But tone down on the bleakness.

Terrence Winter pls

I do feel that there is some honesty in the portrayal though....gangsters very rarely get "redemption", unless by that they mean gunned down.

I was honestly hoping for that FBI agent to be a bigger player in the series, I was probably in the minority on that, but I think the guy could have been the new Van Alden from s1 and s2...seemed to be able to snap on a whim, and he definitely knew how to screw with eli....some of my favorite scenes from that season were between those two.

also: agreed on Dr. Narcisse....was he supposed to be like an evil W.E.B. DuBois or something? LOL...can only imagine that

http://www.nps.gov/hafe/historyculture/images/dubois285.jpg

guy was badass enough

• 8 months later...

Well I'm still enjoying this thoroughly. Van Alden and Eli working together is lush, and the action in their big scene in ep2 was really well choreographed. I loved the way Gilian's situation was revealed - that first scene of hers was great. I still don't know about the flashbacks, but I figure they'll build to something more interesting. Rothstein's death being glossed over bothered me, but by the end of s4 he was pretty inconsequential anyway.

I'm only up to S04e09 and its all getting mixed up. Theres like 50 characters or something. Minus Eddie. RIP. When Gyp Rossetti got knifed at the end of series 3, a new villain emerged...a 'libyan'

It's all about this guy

Jeffrey-Wright-Boardwalk-Empire-S4.jpg

Dr Valentin Narcisse

What the fuck

I liked Narcisse, thought s4 was pretty strong overall. Last couple episodes were great.

S2 was the show's peak for sure. But the seasons following it have been good too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived