IGNORED

Geographical mapping of track titles

Guest cyphersum

i wonder why he named a song 'Lisbon Acid', it's the only big and instantly recognised city in all of that.

As far as i know, he has only played once in Portugal in November 2000 (it was in Lisbon), but still, trying to put myself in the brain of mr. Richard himself, and i lived for a year in Lisbon 3 years ago, i don't see any special feature that could catch his mind:

electronic music scene is the typical south european/ibiza/you name it style.

drug scene is the usual stuff if you are into the drugs subculture: you can get anything you want pretty easily, scoring drugs is at a phone call distance with home delivery service included sometimes.

i can only see, if he cares about it, the weather that is a million times better then the UK.

OR... he either composed a song there (an acid one at that), or decided Libson was memorable enough of a visit to name a track related to it?

Either way, it's neat to see the geographical inspiration behind a lot of his tracks.

Someone should do this for BoC as they have a lot of geography-inspired tracknames...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest drukqs11

OR... he either composed a song there (an acid one at that), or decided Libson was memorable enough of a visit to name a track related to it?

Either way, it's neat to see the geographical inspiration behind a lot of his tracks.

Someone should do this for BoC as they have a lot of geography-inspired tracknames...

Yeah, true, or he simply spinned his globe and stoped with his finger and it was on top of Lisbon :D, still since it's a out of the usual RDj naming portfolio and it's a city from my country, made me wonder why.

Yeah, true, or he simply spinned his globe and stoped with his finger and it was on top of Lisbon :D, still since it's a out of the usual RDj naming portfolio and it's a city from my country, made me wonder why.

Well most of his track names seems to revolve around Cornwall, where he grew up...

Wonder where he was when he made 'Cunt'.

Why is this pinned?

This was pinned as it's legitimately interesting, and something Aphex Twin fans can actually use to learn more about the tracks they like.

really interesting thread, glad this was bumped!

did Rich have an interest in ancient Greek/Roman culture? going by the location track names for SAW I (and then there is Ptolemy as well), always made me wonder if he was a history buff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Damned ! I always thought that the word "Gumpas" had something to do with the monsters in Super Mario Bros.

I thought it was just a play on Oompa Loompas?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was amazed - whilst watched a world from above episode that showed the south coast of cornwall - that saint michael's mount wasn't about mont saint michel. Who'd of thought that there'd be two of them ! I wonder if the cornish one was built by normans as well. I'd look up which came first but i'm too busy right now.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just looking at the anagrams for Lisbon Acid.

Many are viable.

Aids In Bloc is definitely possible.

Cabin Idols

Bad Silicon

Albino Disc

Silica Bond
Social Bind

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived