IGNORED

Hardware Sequencers

wahrk

I think people will pay close to full price to skip the waiting lists, yeah. I recently saw one (including CVIO + breakout) sell for about 75 percent of new price.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people will pay close to full price to skip the waiting lists, yeah. I recently saw one (including CVIO + breakout) sell for about 75 percent of new price.

id snap that up if i saw it

• 3 weeks later...

my first piece of gear was a yamaha rm1x. had a lot of fun with it back in the day. i sold it, then eventually bought it back. the same with the yamaha rs7000... i've owned one sold it to further my dj set-up.

just a few days ago bought a refurbished rs off ebay which i'm really excited about. also thinking about buying a yamaha a5000 rack sampler to go with the rs. like before, owned one but never got into it. i'm hoping the rs7k and a5k will be a killer combination if i can wrap my head around the crazy japanese os's.

the Yamaha rs7000 if you gel with it is probably one of the best hardware sequencers money can buy imo. I owned one for a short bit after a producer friend of mine showed me all the crazy shit he did with it but I could never get used to the work flow, but it was one of those pieces of gear i wished i held onto and tried to learn better because it was incredibly powerful.

edit: it's also probably one of the most capable sampler/sequencers apart from an octatrack and mpc

a friend of mine also has the RS7000, looks great but I didn't find the occasion to try it. I also thought about getting one but now I start to get used to the MPC workflow I'll rather go for a MPC1000. Too bad I ended up not having the money for it :( will have to wait.

yesterday I had a weird problem with the MPC500 I'm currently using. I made a post on the official forums but I'm not sure I'll get some help. Some of you who know MPCs might like to have a look, who knows! thanks

I bought an RM1X for cheap, but it hasn't clicked with me yet. I want it to have more control over my Volcas, but something strange keeps happening when I program it in step mode. The Bass will vary greatly in volume when notes are triggered and I don't know why. Plus, the Bass' three oscillators can't be triggered independently with midi which is unfortunate.

Guest Chesney

hard to say. I hated the MPC1000 I had. tried the JJOS etc and still could not get on with it, however I could see it's potential of being a great machine, just not for me. It's all taste.

I find the MPC1000 best for 2 things:

- Slicing up loops/phrases and rearranging slices by playing the pads

- Very straightforward MIDI sequencing

I'm actually not that into sequencing one-shot drums with it, though some people swear by it for that.

You can with a bit of work.. i have 1000JJOS. I only make techno and electro and some experimental stuff. no 'beats' kinda vibes or anything

If you love sampling and resampling... Perfect for early ae and older afx stuff. Can be as complex sequencer wise as long as you can be bothered doing it..

Sound design wise you might be after something with like parameter locks like the elektron stuff for ae stuff, the mpc's effects are useless besides the filters but that more of a EQing purpose. But if your creative enough and got the time the mpc is great. For complex stuff you might be better off with anything else but the step sequencer on JJOS is good for dropping samples where you want.

You can definitely do AE-type stuff on it, depending on what AE you have in mind. This track from Quaristice is primarily, if not entirely, MPC1000:

Yes, even the filters. Although I don't think JJOS2XL was out when it was made so it was either OS1 or OS2. All the JJOS versions have slightly different filters and other features.

And I think this one is too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txaYaZw43J4

You can definitely do AE-type stuff on it, depending on what AE you have in mind. This track from Quaristice is primarily, if not entirely, MPC1000:

Yes, even the filters. Although I don't think JJOS2XL was out when it was made so it was either OS1 or OS2. All the JJOS versions have slightly different filters and other features.

What's the source on that? If I were to guess, I'd say that sounds a lot more like a Machinedrum, with the reverb, the compression, the filter sweeps, and what sounds like the retrig function being used to generate synth bass.

What's the source on that? If I were to guess, I'd say that sounds a lot more like a Machinedrum, with the reverb, the compression, the filter sweeps, and what sounds like the retrig function being used to generate synth bass.

PMed

• 1 month later...

in my humble opinion : MPC500 are shit. if you're looking for a MIDI sequencer (or a sampler with pads) don't buy this and spare you money for something else. it's cheap made, a pain in the ass to program and mine happens to do stupid weird bugs (according to forums I'm not the only one).

see you soon for more constructive discussion about hardware sequencers

anyone familiar with both mpc1000 jjos and octatrack? What is the biggest difference (or the features the other don't have) between them except the pads input? I did some research and found that octatrack seems to cover all what a mpc1000 jjos can do, but mpc probably have a better work flow, is that right?

Octatrack has parameter locks, great for expressive programming.

MPC has a more flexible structure, ie OT is bound to the 64 step pattern structure.

MPC is truly polyphonic.

Archived