Guest Greg Reason

it seems to me that all of COil's music should be released for free on the internet. Right now Jon Whitney of Brainwashed is claiming he has the singular authority to re-issue all of Coil's albums, which he plans to off his own record label on CD only. Since i've never really liked the guy I'm not hot on the idea, but a lot of fans seem to think he's the one who should be in charge of it.

Seconded and agreed. And you are the not one who don't like Jon Whitney………

These last posts here convinced me again in my choice of not buying any Coil stuff post-Peter's death. Before that I never found any Coil to buy though (only properly got into them around 2009). I´d really like one of those reissues because of that, but I'd rather give my money to artists that still exist and could use the money instead of exploitations like these (= what it reeks of).

Guest igloos unlmtd

Are you sure he doesn't have to split the profits with the heirs / family members? Just because Jon is putting them out on Brainwashed doesn't necessarily mean he is taking all of the profits.

For what it's worth, my real life interactions with Jon have differed greatly from his brash emails & internet persona.

Edited by igloos unlmtd

For those close to London, there are quite a few tickets available for The Angelic Conversation at the BFI tonight.

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=CBD36C4B-B1E5-46ED-8528-6008934FC1C7&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=ECB4ABEC-4E1A-461D-B44F-0F84C56E22BC

Edited by bodywithoutorgans

Are you sure he doesn't have to split the profits with the heirs / family members? Just because Jon is putting them out on Brainwashed doesn't necessarily mean he is taking all of the profits.

For what it's worth, my real life interactions with Jon have differed greatly from his brash emails & internet persona.

i have no idea if profits are even being collected, right now there has only been talk about paying for manufacturing costs of each release.

• 2 weeks later...

Could somebody recommend me something similar to 'The Ape of Naples' from other artists?

Coming up blank on this, can only think of NIN's "Still" EP (a stretch, I know).

Some Dead Can Dance hits a similar spot for me

Edited by verticalhold

• 2 months later...

too bad, I say release it all for free. No matter who the money goes to at this point it's not going to look good for anybody holding the cards. Just imagine if Joyrex got 'authorization' to re-issue Aphex's body of work after he theoretically dies and was charging money for it, I think a lot of us would probably have an issue with that no matter what arrangement was made or who we were told the money was going to. I'm not suggesting this would ever happen but the equivalent of it happening in the Coil world has apparently happened already, he's 'taken authority'.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

• 2 months later...
Guest titsworth_courier

i find it hard to believe the members of coil have no living relatives or causes they would support with their royalties. i was happy to buy the recoiled bootleg under the assumption that the money was shared between cold spring and danny hyde, who i'm sure still needs money and is perfectly entitled to earn it from coil sales. the idea of releasing all of coil's music for free on the internet is laughable. are there people waiting for permission to download it now? if someone really has the authority to reissue it and will properly distribute the royalties, i am going to buy what i've been waiting for so long.

i find it hard to believe the members of coil have no living relatives or causes they would support with their royalties. i was happy to buy the recoiled bootleg under the assumption that the money was shared between cold spring and danny hyde, who i'm sure still needs money and is perfectly entitled to earn it from coil sales. the idea of releasing all of coil's music for free on the internet is laughable. are there people waiting for permission to download it now? if someone really has the authority to reissue it and will properly distribute the royalties, i am going to buy what i've been waiting for so long.

The Coil legacy IS surrounded by greed and attitudes like "ohh, we see the market needs an official re-issue plan, but fuck off."

By the way, the ReCoiled record is more a brainchild of Danny Hyde- see?

Plundering a dead corpse Coil is, this is what makes me fucking angry. Where is the line for actions like this?

Can I record an eastern filled record and credit Muslimgauze to sell it for the best profit?

• 2 weeks later...

did anyone here order Time Machines II? opinions?

i love Coil but it was ridiculously difficult to justify so much on a USB stick, especially considering the founders passed away and aren't exactly going to be collecting any coin

Edited by xf

did anyone here order Time Machines II? opinions?

i love Coil but it was ridiculously difficult to justify so much on a USB stick, especially considering the founders passed away and aren't exactly going to be collecting any coin

Money went to charity http://www.thaistudentcharity.org

More than decent release, looks, feels, smells great, and what a noize, I for one was delighted with it, even the punk-esq unfinishedness of some parts, charming.

Anyone wanna go halves on the DAT demos on ebay -

pm me please, no lengthy treads...

Edited by AWW

• 1 month later...

TPS is currently selling the original multitracks for horse rotorvator: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coil-Horse-Rotorvator-Original-genuine-Ampex-multitrack-with-track-sheets-/251698767791

Sick. Getting rich with every new heritage object.

this is kinda depressing bc all I can imagine is some lame ass "collector" just having this on his "man cave" shelf alongside extravagant crowley books or something.

just donate it to some one cool ffs.

• 2 weeks later...

this is great! where is it from?

anyway. gonna listen to some coil now in remembrance of two great artists whose life was shorter than many would have wished them.

i saw them in Paris in 2004. first time and last time i live such an experience as far as i remember (too short though). Sound was really good with this telluric bass sound, crystal synth sounds from nowhere and this "voice" who penetrate your mind to the earth, can't forget this.

one guy fell backwards in front of me (too high certainly) juste after the first song and got up right after. It was a really really strange athmosphere that i would like to relive.

Balance died few month laters, really sad.

I re-listened to the most part of my Coil discography like two weeks ago, it was great. The peak was probably Batwings, it put me in such an emotional state...

• 4 weeks later...