Guest Greg Reason

Hi Coil thread.

I know ABOSULTELYEY NOZING about Coil but I like reissues and I’m aware how highly the band is rated by you all as well as ae, etc. so I picked up the remastered [ ?? ] new [ ? ] version of “Panic” at the store the other day. Based purely on what artwork I liked among the various records available on the shelf.

Reading now, probably not the most recommended place to get into the band but it’s pretty cool! Very much looking forward to getting into some more stuff soon.

OMG HI

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

England's (not Britain's?) Hidden Reverse, by David Keenan, is getting a revised 2nd edition out any day now.

Had to pay a fair wack for the original hardback, but its indispensable for anyone with a love of Coil & Nurse With Wound (Current 93 doesnt really match them for sonic quality imho, but thats beside the point).

The paperback is being pre-touted for approx £10, an absolute steal considering the level of research involved.

Amazon, those bastions of corporate monopoly, are doing pre-orders for a smidgen over a tenner. Well worth a punt if you enjoy the sounds and worth it for the in-depth descriptions of drug insania surrounding the Love's Secret Domain recording sessions alone:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1907222170?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

England's (not Britain's?) Hidden Reverse, by David Keenan, is getting a revised 2nd edition out any day now.

Had to pay a fair wack for the original hardback, but its indispensable for anyone with a love of Coil & Nurse With Wound (Current 93 doesnt really match them for sonic quality imho, but thats beside the point).

The paperback is being pre-touted for approx £10, an absolute steal considering the level of research involved.

Amazon, those bastions of corporate monopoly, are doing pre-orders for a smidgen over a tenner. Well worth a punt if you enjoy the sounds and worth it for the in-depth descriptions of drug insania surrounding the Love's Secret Domain recording sessions alone:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1907222170?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I just popped the seal on this today, really good, I've read lots of other industrial stuff, but this is already by far the best. check your PM.

• 1 month later...

doesn't seem that expensive for the basic albums. $12 for the New Backwards Cd or $20 for teh vinyl. Surprisingly a cheap option for once.

Its a $92 total price tag inclusive of the cheapest shipping offer ($36) to Asia for both albums on black vinyl. Apparently, 'the Ape vinyl is VERY heavy due to the tip on jackets, double LP and inner sleeves'. I happily paid but it stung momentarily!

i hear ya but still in the realm of coil this is basically free lol.

kinda on the fence with these, i have the original Ape cd and i still haven't clicked with the backwards. hmmm....

does anyone know of a good source for what happened with the backwards album originally? i've always presumed the boys went to trent's studio and balance just...was too balance... but i would love to learn more details.

England's Hidden Reverse points to the fact that they werent really feeling the tracks done in New Orleans @ Reznor's studio and held back putting them out

plus sides were that the Black Light District & ELpH releases moved away from the styles incorporated on LSD, cos lets be honest that lp cant really be beaten for what it defines

you might find the odd Danny Hyde interview here & there that touches on these considerations too, but as this pet dog aint gonna walk himself this link will have to suffice:

http://thequietus.com/articles/19485-danny-hyde-coil-backwards-interview

never heard any coil before looking to start

i've an average to large atheltic build and curly brown hair. love a good joke and if i'm in the mood some industrial electronic music.

hope i can find a friend out there

i'd recommend "horse rotorvator" & "love's secret domain" for their earlier "solar" phase and maybe "black light district" and "musick to play in the dark" for their later "lunar" phase.

then there are releases like "time machines" and "worship the glitch" if you want to dip into the straight instrumental, quasi-ambient experiments.

now that i'm thinking about it there's so much great Coil music it's really hard to recommend a starter.

I think LSD is a good place. It seems to me only a minority of their releases are really all that "industrial" - mostly their first few releases - but LSD/The Snow is some excellent EBM music, which is in some cases synonymous with "industrial" depending on who you talk to.

Personal favorites are Musick to Play in the Dark/The Remote Viewer so I suppose the "lunar" phase, I dunno. I've never heard that before. Is Moon's Milk a signifier in some way?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Morphy

His blog is still online. One of his posts was deleted! He told a story about a full moon party I think. Anyone remember?

I think LSD is a good place. It seems to me only a minority of their releases are really all that "industrial" - mostly their first few releases - but LSD/The Snow is some excellent EBM music, which is in some cases synonymous with "industrial" depending on who you talk to.

Personal favorites are Musick to Play in the Dark/The Remote Viewer so I suppose the "lunar" phase, I dunno. I've never heard that before. Is Moon's Milk a signifier in some way?

Basically they referred to the work they did after LSD as their "lunar phase," which gradually became more explicit (Balance singing "this is moon music, in the light of the moon").

• 3 months later...

went to Weston yesterday and out of respect visited the olde Coil home, now a retirement center

lots of surreal graphics on the outbuildings, "Temple Hill"/T-H, well it is right on the very top of the town itself, a black sun with black rays, a black n white pointed star, but a huge building in itself though but due to attachment fail can not upload the pics here

had to go to Burnham for a decent chippy mind

went to Weston yesterday and out of respect visited the olde Coil home, now a retirement center

lots of surreal graphics on the outbuildings, "Temple Hill"/T-H, well it is right on the very top of the town itself, a black sun with black rays, a black n white pointed star, but a huge building in itself though but due to attachment fail can not upload the pics here

had to go to Burnham for a decent chippy mind

Could you upload the pics to imgur and post the link here? That sounds like a wonderful sight to behold.