IGNORED

Orbital - Don't Stop Me/The Gun Is Good

purlieu

single2010.jpg

Legendary grandmasters of electronica, Orbital have just confirmed they will be releasing their

first new material since 2004. ‘Don’t Stop Me’ and ‘The Gun is Good’ will be released on 20th June through iTunes and through all other digital retailers and as a Limited edition 12” on 27th June.

These tracks represent the signature Orbital sound, with hints of new elements, and definitely a

few surprises, signifying a band still at their creative peak, 20 years since the release of their

breakthrough debut single, ‘Chime’.

Release Date : 20TH JUNE 2010

DIGITAL / LIMITED EDITION 12”

Label: ACP Recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKKv_ksCViw

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lustfulgustav

I just discovered this single exists and I had a listen. I'm really liking it and I'm happy the Hartnolls are together again. I especially like it because:

(a) it doesn't sample Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

(b) it doesn't feature Sparks saying "When the laugh track starts then the fun starts" 3,500,047 fucking times

Also. Zardoz is amazing, got the DVD. Any movie that features Sean Connery in a red diaper and a giant floating stone head wins. And loses. But it wins for losing.

I especially like it because:

(a) it doesn't sample Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

(b) it doesn't feature Sparks saying "When the laugh track starts then the fun starts" 3,500,047 fucking times

indeed those were terrible samples, but somehow i still like that record.

now this new one, the girl voice is from The Buggles "Video Killed the Radio Star" which i'm just going to think of forever when i hear it now. great. :facepalm:

i feel like i'm the odd one out here. dont' get me wrong, i pretty much love everything orbital has done... even the oft-maligned altogether and blue albums... but these two tracks just seem phoned in to me. none of the lush melodics and vibe of the old stuff.

i hope if they decide to 'reform' as it were, that they return to form a bit more. i don't know that we'll ever get another 'in sides', but i know they can do better than this.

i dig the way they worked with the buggles sample though. so not all is lost.

i feel like i'm the odd one out here. dont' get me wrong, i pretty much love everything orbital has done... even the oft-maligned altogether and blue albums... but these two tracks just seem phoned in to me. none of the lush melodics and vibe of the old stuff.

i hope if they decide to 'reform' as it were, that they return to form a bit more. i don't know that we'll ever get another 'in sides', but i know they can do better than this.

i dig the way they worked with the buggles sample though. so not all is lost.

I agree... although I haven't listened to The Altogether and the Blue album in years. These are terrible.

I recently started listening to all their old obscure b-sides and stuff... Naked and the Dead and Sunday are AMAZING!

I agree... although I haven't listened to The Altogether and the Blue album in years. These are terrible.

I recently started listening to all their old obscure b-sides and stuff... Naked and the Dead and Sunday are AMAZING!

never found anything wrong w/ The Altogether or The Blue Album. they got their set of winners and losers just like the rest of them.

win on Altogether:

Funny Break

Oi! (the gays love this one)

Pay Per View

Last Thing

Illuminate (don't care what anyone says about his voice)

...plus on the US bonus disc,

Monorail

An Fhomhair

Beelzebeat

Mock Tudor

win on Blue Album:

Transient

Tunnel Vision

Lost

You Lot (how could you not love this?)

One Perfect Sunrise

i guess The Middle of Nowhere could be seen at the weak one, but even at that it's still pretty good.

never found anything wrong w/ The Altogether or The Blue Album. they got their set of winners and losers just like the rest of them.

win on Altogether:

Funny Break

Pay Per View

Last Thing

Monorail

An Fhomhair

Beelzebeat

Mock Tudor

win on Blue Album:

Transient

Tunnel Vision

Lost

You Lot (how could you not love this?)

One Perfect Sunrise

i guess The Middle of Nowhere could be seen at the weak one, but even at that it's still pretty good.

By "these are terrible" I meant these two new songs.

The Altogether is not too bad... most of it actually works in a sort of campy, novelty kind of way. Some moments push it a bit too far though (I really can't listen to Tootled).

Blue Album seems a bit nothingy to me. You Lot is awesome though. Most of it just sounds exactly the same though. It's like really bland videogame music from 1996.

But as much as people slag off those two albums I probably listen to The Green Album even less.

win on Altogether:

Funny Break

Pay Per View

Last Thing

Monorail

An Fhomhair

Beelzebeat

Mock Tudor

Oh God, Last Thing, really? Probably my least favourite Orbital track. Other than the David Gray thing, obviously.

Ah Fhomhair and Mock Tudor are Middle Of Nowhere era b-sides that inexplicably got tacked onto the US version.

The Altogether has some fine moments but sounds really tinny and plasticy and kind of shit compared to the meaty, chunky sound they always had. I always hear it as some kid with a laptop trying to do an impression of Orbital. Blue was much stronger, although nowhere near as good as Brown/Sniv/In Sides/MoN.

These new tracks are ace.

Yeah I was gonna say most of the bonus disc stuff on Altogether is from Middle of Nowhere, and that album is genius so I wouldn't expect any less from it's b-sides.

Well at least the Style b-sides are awesome.

Archived